Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Troll
Note from kentofnsl: Sorry guys I accidently dropped the thread from Bait_Caster on the wrong forum. Hopefully, someone will move it back over here, but just in case that doesn't happen here is the information from the thread:

[size 3][black][font "Comic Sans MS"]I need to put an Electric trolling motor on a trophy boat, I want your openion's on Minn Kota / Motorguide? & Why?[/font]
[/black][/size][size 1]
[/size][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Also, How many Battery's and a 2 or 3 bank charger system.[/size][/font][size 1]
[/size][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]What would you do [#ff0000]different[/#ff0000][#000000] if you had the $ to do it over again? [/#000000][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Note:: I do not want to drain juice from my main motor's starting battery, but want to charg all batterys at the end of the day. I will use a nice High $$$ sonar system at the helm, thus I'm not wanting sonar on the trolling motor. Also whats your openion's about the "Remote hand control" Fob?[/size][/font][size 1]
[/size][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'll want plenty of # thrust!! I hate under-powered gear. How much thrust do I need?? I want to do this [#ff0000]1 time only[/#ff0000][#000000] and get it Right. Thanks for the help!![/#000000][/size][/font][size 1] [/size]
[signature]
Reply from DonInDenver:

[size 1]What size boat? Glass or aluminum? [/size]
[signature]
Reply from Troll:

[size 1]Gonna cost ya!

Minn-Kota, Motor-Guide you can debate till the cows come home. In todays modern fishing world, if your not good, your gone. Notice, these are the only 2 companies making elec fishing motors anymore.

Many things will be determined by your mounting location and platform as well as access to the fasteners of the mounting system. (We are talking bow mount, right?) Get the max thrust for the volts you decide on, make sure you get a shaft that is long enough to keep the prop in the water once the W starts to lift the bow up and down. Plan on dropping $700 to a G.

Batteries, 24 volt at least (2x12), that brings in a 3 stage charger to charge the trolling system and the main boat. The things to consider are that if you go 36 Volt and place the batteries near the bow, it will be like having your biggest buddy siting up there all the time. (3x 60# batteries + 60# motor=240#) Batteries, plugs, tinned 10 ga wire, trays, boxes figure $150 each 12 volt.
I do not charge my main motor battery at the end of the day. The 2-3 hours of running time should keep it plenty fresh or I have a problem with my charging system I need looked at before I get stranded out on the lake.
for 24 volt you need a 2 bank, for 36 volt a 3 bank. I think You need a way to easily disconnect the batteries from each other so that you are charging 3-12 volt batteries, not a single 36 volt. Also get a multi stage charger that starts out at 10 amps then steps down to 6 then 2. Just a couple of hundred.

I have a foot control, but the new ones give you the option, if I were you I'd get both. [/size]
[signature]
Reply from RILEYFISH:

[shocked][size 1] Sounds like to much overtime topay for that. You wont have time to fish[Wink][unsure][/size]
[signature]
[url "http://boats.iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine_classifieds/view_photos.cgi?ad_id=165044&img="][Image: m_34856_p_t_640x480_image01.jpg][/url] [font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Don in Denver: This is a pic of the exact boat I am wanting to put an electric troll on.[/size][/black][/font] [font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3] Any one else with some good pointers, Please Chime in !! I want to do it up right. [/size][/font] [font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3] The boat is a Glass Boat @ 18' long, has a 125 salt water outboard on it. Thus it ways a fair amount, but handles the white caps with ease... Share some pointers Guy's, I needing info:[/size][/font]
[signature]
Terry, Lee's marine in hyrum has a awesome used minnkota bow mount for sale.
[signature]