Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castaic Lake Tubing Report 10/13/07
ATFISHING gave me a call around 5:30am. Not to wake me up but to give me a heads up on some important traffic conditions for the 5 freeway.

15 big rigs and 3 unfortuanate souls were in the middle of the freeway closure.

We met up at a different rondevous point and went through the canyon route to get to Castaic.

We got there at 7:30 instead of 7:00. We were launched within 15 minutes.

The outside air temp was 50 degrees and the water was measuring 57. Just right for Wadelites in SoCal.

We worked the east side with a few explosions on the Huds and 'Staics that were were throwing out. I also threw on of my Matt Lures Blue Gill only to raise up a senseless Trout boil on it.

The fish went deep early and I started getting thumps and bumps in the 44 to 55 foot mark. I lost a few tails on my LA Sliders and Sluggos but still no positive hook ups.

We continued on up the east side, working every square inch of that section of the Lagoon. I ended up on the Bouy Line under the damn dam. A few bumps and bruises on other plastics but still no hook ups.

By 10:00 we decided to work our way back from the shoreline up to the 26 foot mark. Lots of excercise and kicking back in 8mph winds.

It was lots of fun and lots of excercise since the wind happened to be at our backs. No problem for seasoned Tubers but maybe a little excess workout if there was a newbie involved.

We made it back to the launch ramp by 12:10pm. The water temp was now 67 and the outside temp was nearing 78.

We managed to make out way in and out of heavier traffic and stopped for lunch on the way.

We parted ways around 3:00pm after AT went one way on the freeway and I the other.[cool]
[signature]
GREAT FISHING WITH YOU ONCE AGAIN TN2 ALSO GREAT TO GET BACK ON MY TUBE. WE HAD GREAT CONDITION BUT FISH DID NOT WANT TO CO-OP. I COMMITTED TO THROWING THE BIG SWIMBAITS THE WHOLE TIME......BIG FISH OR BUST......BUST! WE'LL GET'EM NEXT TIME!!!

AT
[signature]
... outside of the traffic it sounds like a good time was hadby you both.. wish I had been there but under those conditions it would not of been a good situation for me... maybe next time..

.. thanks for the report... sorry you did not catch anything...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]With the kind of underwhelming success you attract (jinx), I'm thinking that we might as well save some space and leave our rods at home when we come over next time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't you know there are no C&R records kept for "bumps"?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[sly]
[signature]
Do they have a record for the most "Bit off Tails" from the plastics?

I did loose a total of 3 tails. I loose less than that with the Barracuda.[crazy]
[signature]
I guess it's time to hit Cherry Beach again. At least there I can catch a few and get spooled by the unknown.

Let me know what you scedule is like over the next few weeks.

We are looking at Elsinore again in 3 weeks. I will be at Catalina next weekend for some Buggin action. This Sunday might be good for the Cherry.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Musta been some sabre-toothed bluegills...or crawdads.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice report and good fun bro! But ... where the heck are the pics???[unsure]

-ABT
[signature]
They are coming. I just have to develope the roll of film from my [#ff0000]Digital Camera[/#ff0000].[crazy]
[signature]
...[laugh]... Ill leave that comment where it is.. there is no need for any type of clarification.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
It's only cuz I'm blonde......Duh![crazy]
[signature]
blaming it on being blonde would be a stretch... [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
ROTFLMAO!!

-ABT
[signature]
hook up with another and still skunkeroony [crazy][crazy]. You really want me to come all that way for that or is it just for the company.
[signature]
I may just want to drag you out on some salty stuff. A squeeze of lime and a pinch of salt go well with certain types of beer.[cool]
[signature]
Corona..... cant get better than that with the right food...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
And to top that off.....A few Coronas while Tubing lake Corona! That should be fun.

That lake is a litte farther than Castaic for me but it is only a few miles north of Elsinore.[cool]
[signature]
.... sounds like we have a few lakes to choose from .. just as soon as they get these dang fires under control... [mad]....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That gives a whole new meaning to the term "hot fishing".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Have been watching on the news here in Utah, and remembering the "good old days" when I lived in SoCal. The offshore winds sometimes made the waves lay down for some great sight fishng in the surf, but it was tough to fish offshore.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Too bad about all of the people losing their homes too. Hope they get things under control soon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When we come over to visit later we don't want to have to choose between "smoking and non smoking".[/#0000ff]
[signature]