Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dropper question
I have never had that much success with two flies. What is the best way to tie on the 2nd fly? Typically what type of fly do you want the top fly to be (Dry, Attractor, etc?) Any info would be great.
[signature]
This year I have messed with nymph rigs a bit. I think I had to go to straight nymphing a handful of times on the river (I like to dry fly as much as possible).

I tried them all, and one worked the best. Leader is about 9 feet tapered to 5x. I tie on a bigger fly (unweighted) usually a sow bug if it is on the Provo. Then instead of tying the tippet to the bend of the top fly, I tie it onto the eye of the fly (you should have two knots tied on the eye of the top fly). Drop about 18 inches and tie on a smaller fly.

Were I put the split shot depends. I like to put it beneath the two flies most of all. So I'll tie on another tag of tippet to the eye of the second fly about 4 inches long. I'll tie a simple overhand knot into that section of tippet to keep the shot on.

It's a lot like the Provo bounce rig but without the tags from the leader to the fly.

I bet a picture would be a lot more descriptive.
[signature]
Thats good advice. Any advice is new to me, so thanks. Keep it coming.
Anyone want to head out somewhere to try these things?
[signature]
Any saturday, let me know...
[signature]
I am definately heading out this week or weekend sometime... looking at the weather I am thinking friday or saturday, I am always up for fishing with someone else...
[signature]
Shoot me a pm and i'll meet up with you somewhere.[cool]
[signature]
The way I do it is put one fly on the line, tie an overhand knot to keep it in place, then tie the other fly on the long tag end. This allows me to move the center fly up and down by pushing the line together, loosing the overhand knot and moving the fly up or down. Just one caution, don't close your loops or you will get a mess. I don't have a problem catching fish on the middle fly.

katghoti
[signature]
That is an interesting way of nymphing. I've never hears of a setup quite like it. Any tangle problems?
[signature]
It's a great rig. I have not had tangle issues like I had with the Provo River bounce rig. I fish it kind of Polish style pulling it faster than the current at times.

Cheech
[signature]
When Nymphing Ive had good success using a bead head prince nymph trailed by a smaller hairs hear. All tie the first fly on like normal and use a clinch not and tie the second fly right to the hook of the first fly.

Or as of lately Ive been using a either a smaller flash back sow or grey scud trailed by a wooly bugger imitates a minnow chasing a nymph carfule though I get allot of tangles with this rig in shallow water.

Heres a good resource on tandem rigs
http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techn...ouble.aspx

The second article here is more like fishing a drop shot rig were the weight is at the end of your leader and the flies are higher up Ive never fly fished this rig ive fished this from a spinning reel setup with plastics...but it suppose to be a very successful setup.

http://flyfisherman.com/skills/ltbouncen...ndex1.html
[signature]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=katghoti;"][black][size 3]katghoti[/size][/black][/url][black][size 3], I use the same set-up. Can't remember where I learned it but it is sweet when trying to lock in on a ZONE.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I use that set-up all the time on rivers.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]For stillwater I still like my "Y" connection with bigger fly on the longer and the nymph, scud, egg, etc on the shorter. Have a better chance at double hook ups.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]In fact this fall I was deep nymphing with one at 19' and the second off a two foot tag about three feet up from bottom fly. I caught two fish at the same time....it was the coolest thing I had seen. They must have been cruising at 19 and 15 feet at the same time.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have had a lot of doubles, even off two dries, but this was a first in this style.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I decided I am hitting the weber or provo tomorrow and strawberry or scofield on friday... if anyone wants to go send me a pm... I have room for three... probably leaving about noon tomorrow and back about five or six, but the times are flexible...
[signature]