Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 10-15
Hit the Berry early Monday morning. It was super foggy. We decided to head out about 75 yards from the marina in a 14ft rental. The fog lifted a bit, so we started heading out further, when the fog came right back. We could not see more than 10 feet for about an hour. We thought we were heading back toward the marina, but when the fog finally did lift, we were headed right towards I-40. Anyway, fished with a couple different types of jigs tipped with minnow and some smelly jelly. Did the best with pure white jigs. I have a couple, not sure what they are called that I got from HFT before he closed and I love them. They look like a mix between an octopus and a crawfish. Ended up boating about15 with two over the slot, all returned for another day. Saw a guide taking out some guys and he was using lime twist power bait and minnows. Watched them catch several right off the dock while waitng for the fog to lift. The guide was from the Marina, and he had no problem using powerbait. We did best when we were drifting with just a little wind. When the wind died completely, fishing died as well. Great day. I will post some pics later.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a great day of fishing. That is the reason that I have always had a working compass on my boats. When that fog rolls in it is impossible to tell directions without one. I realize a GPS will also work (which I also own and use all of the time), but sometimes a GPS will malfunction or not fire up at all and a compass is always a good backup to have.
[signature]
Another great report for the berry. A guide with Power bait?[unsure] Oh well, To each there own.

I would like to see more folks put marine band radios in their boats. A small price to pay (150.00 will get you a nice unit with Antanna). I have not needed mine yet to assist me, and I hope I dont, but maybe someone else will need some help and I can lend a hand.

Cheap insurance. [Wink]
[signature]
Nice report, white is pretty consistent at the Berry this time of year. Did you get any pics? I thought it was interesting that the guide was having his clients fish off the dock since I am pretty sure that is a violation of regs even though a lot of people do it. I got talked to about even fishing for crawdads off the dock. I've got to get up there right away I can see. Thanks for the report
[signature]
Let me clarify. When I say off the dock, they were on their boat, which was tied to the dock. I think they were waiting for the fog to clear. The guide was interesting. They were talking about using jigs, but he said they better do it his way. Kind of funny. We used the guides voice as our beacon in the fog. I will post some pics tomorrow.
[signature]