Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Safety Tips
[cool][#0000ff]Every year we get bits and pieces of suggestions for safely fishing on the hard deck. How about if we get a thread going before iceup on everybody's personal concerns and techniques for getting on and off the ice safely, and what to do in the event someone does go through the ice?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been "drillin' and chillin'" since way back before a lot of Utah's lakes were opened to ice fishing...over 30 years. I have had my share of near misses, water filled boots and even went through the ice on Holmes Creek once when I got impatient for thicker ice. And, I have helped pull a couple of others out of potentially deadly situations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are a few of the things I have picked up over the years:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. The two deadliest times are early season and late season. Ice may be thick along the shoreline early, but may be thinner away from shore. Check as you go to prevent going to far on thin ice. Late in the season, when water begins running into lakes from snowmelt, there is often a gap between the shore and the hard ice. Take a plank to help you get on and off safely. Be especially careful after a late snowfall might have covered thin ice along the shoreline.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Do not try to walk or fish on new slick ice without good ice cleats. They not only make it easier to navigate...and fish...but they can prevent dangerous falls. Also, it is good to have snowshoes for deep snow. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. If the ice is not thick and hard...wear a life preserver and make sure others in your party do too. The inflatable kind does not add to much bulk but can save your life. Some guys like to tow around an inflated innertube, tied to their waist. I know of at least one situation in which that tube saved a life.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. Carry a length of rope in your sled, to throw to someone in the event they go through the ice and need to be pulled out. Do not try to get close to them yourself.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. If you suddenly find yourself on thin ice, and it begins sagging and/or cracking, quickly lower yourself to a prone position, laying on te ice to spread your weight out. Then have someone throw you a rope to pull you back...or "swim" your way back to better ice. DO NOT "FALL" ONTO THIN ICE.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]6. Do not venture onto "iffy" ice by yourself. If you cannot scare up a fishing partner for the day, at least fish near other anglers so that you can get help if needed...or render help if someone else needs it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]7. Watch out for holes drilled by other anglers. Even smaller holes can remain open enough for you to step in and twist an ankle...or worse. Be especially watchful of your kids when taking them out on the ice. Have a rule that they follow you when you are moving from one place to another.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]8. Keep ice auger blades covered and protected when not drilling holes. Those blades are sharp and can cause serious damage to anything they touch...flesh, tackle, etc. Protecting the blades will also keep them sharp longer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]9. Take a compass or GPS unit with you. If fog or a sudden whiteout develops, it is easy to become lost and go the wrong way to get off the ice. Having walkie talkies, radios and/or cell phones can be a good idea too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]10. Be properly dressed. Layer up with quality cold weather gear, gloves and boots. You will need more warmth while just sitting around or standing and fishing. Getting severely chilled not only ruins the fun, but can be dangerous too. Watch your kids to be sure they are staying comfortable. Don't keep anybody on the ice longer than they want to be there.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]11. Do not overdo anything. If someone is physically out of shape, they should not try to pull a heavy sled across a big lake in deep snow. Nobody else wants to have to haul your carcass off the ice after you have had a heart attack. And, that could just ruin your whole day too.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I am sure I have omitted some important stuff, and that there are other BFTers who have good solutions and suggestions.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Go for it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
i will just add one other thing early in the year take a ice bar to test the ice. if you slame it down in frount of you and punch through in one hit the ice is to thin back off and look for thicker ice! the bar can be used to stop you from going through a old ice hole as well by turning it sideways as your going through the hole.. that will stop ya from a full on dunking and give ya something to use to get out as well..
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good "point". For those who do not want to spend the $30 or so for a REAL ice bar...Harbor Freight outlets often sell large steel bars for about $10 or so. They are about 6' long with a sharp point on one end and a chisel point on the other. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One suggestion though is to tie/tape a loop on them to wrap around your wrist while using them. Not uncommon for them to slip right through your gloves/hands and head for the bottom once you punch through the ice.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great posts and a great topic. I would also add that be careful along the edges. Many lakes in Utah rapidly rise in the spring and
causes several feet thin ice from shore. I have got wet feet many
times. If its not too severe, I have brought a board with me to prevent wet feet.
[signature]
This may not be a safety tip, but early and late in the season I throw a change of clothes and a wool blanket in the back of the truck. If you fall in and still decide to fish you can at least do it dry, or enjoy a better ride home.

It all comes down to common sense. I can imagine no fish worth putting my life, or anyone I know, at risk.

There was a video floating around the internet that had some pretty good information regarding getting out of the water on your own. It is worth watching if you can find it. It may teach you something.

I'll second the tip for never go on thin ice alone. There are plenty of people that are willing to tag along.
[signature]
just send Jeff out if he say's ok then it's ok for a few fish lol just ask don.lmfao nope good point's gent's we all need some reminder's every once in awhile FISH
[signature]
[#505000]Always take an oversized, overweight friend with you and send him out first. If he doesn't fall through the ice is ok![/#505000] [Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey...I resemble that remark.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Really defies the old rule about survival of the "fattest", huh?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That video was on the Discovery Channel list, but is not currently available. However, if you go to any good search engine and type in "Ice Fishing Safety" you will find hundreds of websites devoted to it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the better ones I found includes an ice thickness safety chart, as well as the written instructions for what to do if you DO go through the ice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.lake-link.com/icefishing/IceFishingSafety.cfm"]LINK TO WEBSITE[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not cool to reply to your own post, but I just remembered something I left out and I am surprised that nobody else has mentioned it...ICE SPIKES.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][Image: i190554sq01.jpg][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]These cheap ($5.99 at Cabelas) little spikes are worn around the neck and can be vital in helping you pull yourself up out on the ice if you fall through and you are by yourself.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
just send Jeff out if he say's ok then it's ok for a few fish lol just ask don. [/reply]

Yep! LMAO!
[signature]
[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysnKtuUTt8k"]Here is a link to the ice safety video.[/url]
[signature]
NEVER fish alone.
Tube Dude said it all.

Me? I'm Mr super safe. I've had a kid in tow for years now and I have to be. I seldom get very far from the crowd, I follow their paths onto the ice, I walk where they have walked. I prefer to walk in fresh 4 wheeler tracks, that makes me feel safe.
I would follow Tube.
I used to be pretty risky, At that time I pretty much carried my own rescue gear I wore neoprene waders and a Pfd. I had a large inner tube that I had a 100' rope attached to. I would just tow it along with 95' of rope trailing. What ever other stupid beings I could get to venture on the thin ice with me had to have the same gear. Never get more than 5' from the end of the other guys rope, never stand together.
We basically had the attitude that we would fish until one of us went through the ice and then we would go home.
We got real good at feeling bad ice, right quick. We got good at jumping on the tube and yelling, "Pull me back".
[signature]
Might just add to watch out for small springs that feed into some of the lakes. The warm water melts the snow around it and weakens the ice close by.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good point. I can think of three lakes where warmer water inflows can weaken the ice on the surface. Utah Lake has warm springs in several spots. Some winters the lake does not freeze but when it does, you need to watch for the thin ice or open areas.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Mantua also has numerous springs and seeps that can thin out the ice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bear Lake is notorious for its "bubblers". This is a picture of one of several we had to skirt around last January, near Gus Rich Point. [/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30252;]
[signature]
Fat fishing friends are easy to find.. get a skinny one.. and send him out first.. he can 'Pop' the ice and not go through. When it pops, he'll flinch like he just saw cougar jump out. That's when you stop walking [Wink] Just stay back a good distance, and follow his foot prints. Have the Fat guy carry the rope [Smile]
Plus, a fat guy can pull a skinny guy out of the water a lot easier than the skinny dude trying to hoist a guy North of 230 back onto the ice.

I am saying this somewhat jokingly. But, I really do practice it. I am not TOO big, However.. 240 pounds can 'Pop' ice a skinny guy would have to jump a couple feet in the air to make it pop.

Early ice.. I wear a life jacket under my coat, it makes me feel a little safer, plus it can provide some insulation (like I don't have enough already).
Be careful about wearing an inflatible life jacket under a coat. I have read warnings about them cracking ribs when they inflate if they are under a coat.
[signature]
[reply]
Be careful about wearing an inflatible life jacket under a coat. I have read warnings about them cracking ribs when they inflate if they are under a coat.

Good point...and good to know. I am too cheap to spend $60+ on those inflatables.. Mine is just one of the kind of ski ones I wear on the boat in the summer.
That safety video made it onto youtube also. [url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysnKtuUTt8k"]Here's the link.[/url]
[signature]
Just wanted to say thanks.. GREAT STUFF..
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT !