Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P Hopper, your feathers are in!!
Well I bagged the mighty gobbler yesterday,thanks for all the tips I got from a lot of you guys,and (P hopper) even though you did not help me pack it out like you said you would, for a few feathers for fly tying,I thought of you and saved a bag full just for you!!"BIG FISH RULE"M.H.[Wink][Wink][Wink]
[signature]
I got my turkey today, what a blast. Hey Muskyhunter, how are you going to cook that bird? I've got mine in a cooking bag right now. WH2
[signature]

Way to go guys!
Give us some juicy details.
was it hard? did they come when you called? How much snow piled on your head?
[signature]
I was going to post this in the hunting section but since you asked. I hunted Saturday and chased those birds all over the mountain but couldn't get close enough for a shot. It snowed on me lightly but not bad. I thought the problem was that I was by myself, so today I took my son with me and that was the answer. We only hiked a half mile and spotted them, the snow was coming down hard and that kept the birds sitting tight. I got above them and my son went below. I started walking down from above with the the snow making the walking quite. When I got 75 yards away from them, my son started walking up from below. I hid and waited for them to walk by, when one of the toms was 45yds away it got nervous and flew away out of range. I waited another few minutes and another tom came walking by, this one walked right by me and it was an easy 20yd shot to the head. The bird weighed almost 18lbs. and had a 7in. beard with 1 & 1/4 inch spurs. It was only 1.5 hours from the time we left the car until we returned. What a way to make memories with your son. I tried my call a few times but the birds seemed to catch on to the call real quick and would only come a few yards before they lost interest. If this turkey taste good I'll try it again next year. WH2
[signature]
What a fun time we had,it started snowing as soon as we got out of the truck,hard enough you could only see about 40yds. When we got to the spot to set up I called a couple times and there they were just out of sight,we didn't have time to set the decoys up,so we just sat in the trees and called back and forth for a while then they became silent.We waited them out for another hour with nothing so we tried to ambush from above but they gave us the slip several times!!After 5 miles of walking in the mud and snow we headed for moms house for lunch and a nap.After the nap we headed out just for a little road hunt to look for tracks in the snow but after a couple miles of back road,we came around the corner and there they were in the middle of the road.9 hens and 2 toms,one of the toms was on top of a hen"doing his thing" looking away from us so I walked toward him after he hopped off the hen she ran into the trees and he stuck his head up and BANG!!35 yds,1.25 spurs and 10"beard and 24#!!What a chore to clean one of those critters,first we plucked it then decided it had too much fat to deepfry so we skinned it, talk about alot of fat.Was yours that way too WH2??We ended up deepfrying it and it was pretty good, but without the skin we should of roasted it in the oven!!"BIG TOMS RULE"M.H.[Wink][Wink][Wink]
[signature]
Way to go Muskyhunter and you even let the old boy have a last fling. Your tom sounds like a big one, I have no idea how big they get in Utah but 24 pounds must be one of the bigger ones and I know a 10 inch beard is big at least from what I've read.
I skinned mine first because I've wanted to have a tail mount done but yes there was a lot of fat, especially around the neck area, I put mine in a cooking bag and baked it for
3 hours
[signature]
[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]Sounds like you guys made the best of the bad weather. If you can't be fishing you might as well be hunting. Congratulations to both of you on successful hunts. Thanks for saving me some feathers MH, I appreciate it. Do you fly fish? I could tie you some flies in return. If you don't fly fish, I could tie you some for bobber and fly style fishing. No tackle box should be without a couple of hopper patterns[Tongue]. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]
[signature]
I do drag one behind a bubble every once in a while,if Im not untangling the kids lines!!Send me a pm with your address and I will get them sent to you before my wife throws them away!!"BIG FISH RULE"M.H.[cool]
[signature]
good going guys

I had to turn my turkey permit in Sad I had back surgery 3/27 and my surgeon didn't think April 15th was time enough to heal lol

I do get to go with a buddy from Delta, to Monroe Mountain to help him with his even if he hasn't invited me hahahahaha

Anyway congrats on harvesting your birds
[signature]
Sorry it did not workout for you this year and I hope your back heals soon and your buddy slays one. WH2
[signature]

How fun!!!
my boy is just turning hunting age we'll have to give it a try.
The strategies sound alot like bow huntig for deer.
[signature]
where did you draw for wiper?
[signature]
The area I was hunting is # 112, chalk creek. It was a lot more like deer hunting than turkey hunting but I think the snow helped. WH2
[signature]