Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft Jerkbait - How to fish effectively?
After observing the salmon at the Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River here in Oregon, and watching them eating away at the smaller fish (minnows maybe?) that were swimming around, it got me to thinking about what lure would best mimic what I saw the salmon eating. And wouldn't ya know it? The soft jerkbait came to mind.

I have a bunch which I have never used. Why haven't I used them? Well, quite frankly, I really have no clue how to use them. I don't know whether I should just connect them to the hook and toss them out there without weight or what kind of hook to use with them for that matter.

What I'm looking for is the basics of rigging up a soft jerkbait and the basics of fishing with them. Your help is greatly appreciated! I know I can count on you guys. You've helped me tons in the past.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there DDR It has been such a long time ago that I had fished for salmon just can't remember what I used for bait. In an attempt to answer you question & also assume that you would be fishing somewhat deep - t[/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]o get the "Soft-Jerk-bait" down to a deep depth you can rig it actually three different ways. 1. A Texas-rig with a front weight. 2. A Straight-rig with a pencil weight, or nail weight inserted into the bait itself. 3. A Carolina-rig with the bait free floating attached to the leader line of this weighted rig. Either three of these riggings will allow you to work these "Soft-Jerk-baits at deeper depths. Here are a few examples of hooking up a soft bait.[/green][/size][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3] -[/size][/green][/font]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30278;][/center]
[signature]
Thanks Dryrod... I wasn't thinking about using it specifically for salmon... but just in general... for shallower water as well.

Tomorrow I'll be targeting trout and bass. Hmmm, wonder what else is in the reservoir I'll be at. [cool]

If I'll be using the soft-jerks shallow, do I need to add any weight to it at all for casting purposes?
[signature]
[#005028][cool]DDR to start I would opt for no extra weight. If you are using a spinning system I would think that the bait by itself is sufficient. Might also try a drop shot rig setup. I have had good sucess with the DS.[/#005028]
[signature]
Drop-shot. Oh great... another technique I need to figure out in the next 8 hrs. LOL. Thanks for the info.
[signature]
[center][#005028][cool]Hi DDR - FYI[/#005028][/center] [center][#005028][/#005028][/center] [center][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30285;][/center]
[signature]
check your fishing guide, in michigan the way it is set up in dryrods discription is concidered a snagging rig... even if it is a single hook.

in michigan the hook has to be on another line off the main line at least 3 inches if I remember the new law right....
[signature]
Thanks. I was talking to someone about that while at the lake yesterday (btw, only had 1 hit in 7 hrs). He told me that he thinks drop-shotting the way Dryrod shows is considered a snagging rig but he wasn't sure.
[signature]
now get this, when you put a leader on the hook the way the state of michigan wants, in our state you still cant use it in rivers or moving water...

I mean duh!!! that is where it works best.... thats when you want a drop shot with a leader hook...
[signature]
Haha. Crazy rules everywhere. Now I know why you want to move back to the southern states.
[signature]
DDR, I usually only use a jerk bait in colder water. Spring or late fall. I have caught alot of bass with them. White seems to work the best for us here in the NE.
[signature]
Thanks gdn! That's good to know.
[signature]