Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winterizing your boat.
This is my first winter and I want to make sure I don't forget anything. I've got a 75 horse Mercury ELPTO. I've been told to change the oil in the bottom end. I've been told to rotate between rebuilding the lower end (impellar, etc.) and the top end (Plugs, wires) each year. I planned on removing my electronics, and batteries and store them inside. Is there any special "sea foamesque" oil to use in the bottom end or do I just use what the manufacuter specs. I also know to change seals if the oil comes out milky. Am I missing anything? Are there any other special secrets or hints you guys have? Is there any habits I need to have during the transition time between now and ice up? I'm not ready to put the boat away, but there is a possibility of hard freezing weather. I know to drain the water out of the pump by lowering the motor down to drain while I'm strapping down, but is there anything else I should be doing.
[signature]
stahbil feul stabilizer for you fuel tank would be one recomendation....
[signature]
I like to at least turn the prop by hand a few times to let any trapped water drain out. Just use your recommended oil for the lower unit. Be sure to let the outboard hang down like it would be if it was being used on the water. Grease the bearings on the trailer (which should force out any water that might be in there). If you aren't fortunate enough to be able to store it in a carport or garage be sure to protect the boat from the snow. Covering a canvas cover with a plastic cover of some sort can cause the canvas cover to milldew and rot.
[signature]