Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tarpon beat me!
I'm new to fishing and kayaking. Last year i bought a 9' LL Bean manatee sit in and put a rod holder on it. It's become a wonderful retirement activity for me. Anyway, last spring at the end of Snook season I landed a 33" Snook and just could'nt wait for it to open again this Labor day weekend. I went out 5am the second day, saw a lot of surface activity (very dark at this hour) and on my first cast (Mirror lure) into the activity I hooked up. I soon realized it was to big to keep if it was a snook, and my head lamp reflected off the big red eye and I guessed i had a Tarpon. Well, it was having a great time with me and eventually jumped into the kayak and out (nano seconds) leaving one treble hook in my forearm and another in my shirt . The good news is the Tarpon was no longer attached to the plug or it would have torn up my arm and probably tipped me over.
I cut the hooks off the plug so I could paddle. The ER took the hooks out and gave me a tetinous shot I've been back but have not hooked up again. Fishing from the yac is a hoot!!
I never considered the consequences of a fish getting the best of the fight. i was lucky the hooks didn't end up in my face and tipped over. This was just a baby Tarpon about 36".How do you prevent this, keep the fish away until it's to tired to jump in the boat for example.
Any advice?
[signature]
Welcome aboard and thanks for the question.

When it comes to big fish on a Yak, you need to discerne only 2 things. Is this something that I plan on keeping after I see color? or is this something that I would rather release?

If it is something that you plan to keep, play it out till it's tired. If it is something that you don't plan to keep, try to and the fight as quick as possible.

Sacrifices will have to be made at times and sometimes it requires a limb or part of any other appendage on the body.

Good luck and please feel free to continue sharing as well as asking here.[cool]
[signature]
I dont fish from a toon, but one thing I do know about battleing big fish, keep them out away from the boat untill you are ready to net them..

the best way to do this is to allow them to take line when you start coming up on the fish. keep doing this untill the fish feels like a log, then and only then are they tired, Except big o'l carps, for some reason they always have one more run in them when you get them in close...
[signature]