Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer hunters encouraged to buy license early
Deer hunters encouraged to buy license early New venison donation program in place for deer hunters DNR releases new Iron Range OHV Recreation Area audio programs Moorhead-area deer hunters should verify hunting locations DNR encourages people to not put away camping gear just yet Deer feeding ban in northwestern Minnesota remains in effect Tough hunting at first Camp Ripley bow hunt

DNR QUESTION OF THE WEEK - OCTOBER 23

Q: A telltale sign that winter is approaching is the ongoing wildlife activity. Although birds migrate to warmer climates, many wildlife species stay put, including the creepy, crawly, and slithery critters. What do reptiles and amphibians do to prepare for winter?

A: Minnesota's 50 species of amphibians and reptiles are unable to migrate long distances to escape winter's wrath. During the fall these cold-blooded animals seek out sites locally that meet their over-wintering needs, and their survival strategies are interesting and varied. Several species of salamanders, toads, lizards and snakes move deep underground escaping the frost-line by traveling into rock crevices or small mammal burrows.

Other species take refuge in aquatic habitats where they stay submerged throughout the winter. The truly hardcore Wood Frogs and members of the tree frog family nestle beneath a thin blanket of leaves on the forest floor. As the temperature drops they protect vital organs by creating their own antifreeze. These frozen frogs don't breathe or have a pulse yet recover quickly when spring returns. Amphibians and reptiles typically settle in to preferred winter habitats by late October, however global climate change could shift the seasonal patterns of animals whose activities are so closely linked to temperature.

Why are we being asked to buy deer licenses early? What difference does it make? Either way I'm buying mine tommorow.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I don't know. I'm just delivering the news. I can't imagine there would be a rush. Unless Mn has a lottery for tags or something like that. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I figured that by now (with the request that was made on the mod board), there would be a separate hunting board for Minnesota. I guess they haven't made one yet.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Good luck hunting.[/size]
[signature]
There is no lottery here, most areas they are allowing 1 buck and 4 additional doe tags.

As to the hunting board, I did send a pm to theangler today to see if we can he it done.

Hunting was good this weekend, both my dad and I shot bucks.
[signature]