Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edicate opinions please (Flaming gorge)
Just want everyone's opinion on a matter that happened on Flaming Gorge this weekend. As we all know the lake trout stack up on the gravel humps in linwood bay to spawn. We went out Saturday morning and seen a few boats on the humps (2 of those being guides.) we got within about 100 -150 yds and started graffing fish on the finder so respecting the fact that the other boats were already there we stayed are distance. The fishing was pretty good we picked up a lot of pups and one 23 lber. About 10:00 the boats started to leave so we moved in on the other humps. We fished all day and were catching fish until about 4:00 ( this is when things got interesting ) The 2 guide boats came back and one of them pulled within 10 ft ( yes 10ft) of our boat and dropped his anchor, did not say anything to us, so we said you better not hit are boat ! That,s when he came out and started arguing with us.( with clients on his boat) I could not believe it. If he would have said something like hey guys can we squeeze in here someplace it would not have been a big deal but what an azz. I guess he owns that water. anyway give me your opinion on what you think about this matter. ( guides and none guides please.)
[signature]
I personally think that is rude especially when the guide seen you guys earlier and the respect you gave him should be returned. I have spoke to a couple guides on the docks and they do seem arrogent and that they own the place. Im pretty sure we pay our taxes and fees so we can use the place, and it seems we pay them so they can make a pretty little profit.
[signature]
Were these the snaggers?
[signature]
Yes Don it was. what a way to fish. I think they sould close Linwood all together for the spawn.
[signature]
I will not give any info on the boat or any thing else on this matter. I am not trying to cause problems I just wanted opinions.
[signature]
Nice to meet you on sunday LakeDrifter. These two "guide boats" seem to own that spot on linwood. I used to try to not interfere with them, but the courtsey is not returned, so all is fair. I must say I laughed to my self when I heard some one ask them if they had "caught" anything. Snagged anything is more like it. I always make it a point to ask them if they have "snagged" any good ones. [sly] The looks I get are pretty funny. They always say they are jigging for them. An 8' jerk with a monster treble on the end hasn't been my most successful presentation.
[signature]
They call it fishing. I call them the gut hookers
[signature]
Just for the record, I was home all weekend, and not anywhere near the lake!
[signature]
Guide or no guide this is PUBLIC water and you have every right to the spot as they do, common courtesy is in order. Take CPTN jim's advice and turn the snaggers in! I thought only flyfishing guides were like that. Post a pic of that 23LB monster!
[signature]
I know who they are. What idiots. I don't know any real guide who would do the snagging or the unsportsmanlike crowding you experienced. Make a complaint to the Forest Service. It can't hurt.

Linwood needs to be closed during the spawn. Period.
[signature]
I think you were definitely in the right! I had a very similar problem on Bear Lake on Saturday. You can read my comments on this post: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=370905;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]Link to "crowding me" post[/url]
I showed up on the "rockpile" at Bear Lake with no one else around. I dropped anchor, started fishing and about 10min later along comes another boat that was fishing right on top of me. I know the rockpile isn't huge, but there was no need to get that stinkin' close when there are 70,000 surface acres of water to fish! I should of cast my jig into their boat. That would have been funny!
[signature]
I too was there this weekend and witnessed the snaggers with a 38 pounder friday night. This kind of thing goes on everywhere and if they can't be stopped then maybe the type of hook they use should be regulated (size, single, barbless instead of trebles). I can't imagine paying to listen to the vulgarity with kids around that was demonstrated either. In regards to Jims' position, there is a big difference between ripping lips and ripping guts and I'd fish beside him any day, the respectable way.
[signature]
Anybody thought about video cameras? If you got them snagging on camera and turned it in to the forest service and the game and fish this might help with getting linwood closed. Or better yet we could have a BFT day or two on the gorge. Have a bunch of boats on the hump at the first legal minute and at the last. Then when they come in to push their weight around we can video how a "guide" acts on public water. Might be tough to organize but it would be fun.
[signature]
sounds great to me! ill bring the camera. this fishing should not be tolerated by any fishermen. i know jim has tried for years to put a end to this b/s fishing ( snaging) but it seems like gf just dont care. and this is one reson ill only have jim as my guide on the lake, snagging a fish doesnt give me eny thrill at all. let's all go out and put an end to this crap ourselfs.
[signature]
I've got a couple things to say on this one.

First my personal opinion, all snaggers should be drug threw the desert naked and set fire.

Second is from a moderator stand point. Please keep this post on a somewhat positive note. lets talk about what can be done to stop this. While posting about the snaggers if you know names Guides or regular fisherman) please keep those names to yourself. we have had posts like this before and threats of lawsuits. they cant sue Bft but they can sue you. Just remember you are responsible for what you say on here.

keep the replys comming and lets try and make this a good positive effort to stop violators of the law.

thanks Petty
[signature]
I dont think you should back down from them. I feel the video camera is a great way to go. Get as much info on film as possible. Boat info and all, This is great evidence for whoever it is that we need to convince to close off Linwood bay during the spawn.
[signature]
Sad situation. Where are the fish cops during all this snagging?? Looks like it should be a priority enforcement issue. I should think the DWR boys would be "fishing" on all sides of the congregated boats?? Anybody ever witnessed any serious enforcement here?

Sad to hear of those beautiful fish being snagged or ripped open. Nothin' funner than taking one of those fish ethically and then watching him return to the depths to fight again another day.
[signature]
Amen Brother Amen!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The Sad reality is that DWR officers are overworked this time of year and there are not enough of them to cover all the bases. Hunting gets a lot of their attention right now, and each CO must cover a lot of territory. They know the snagging is going on, but do not put it on the top of the priority list.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do not know it for a fact, but I have also heard that they really to not have a great interest in protecting the macks. Some would just as soon see macks cleaned out of the lake to protect their hatchery pets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not trying to stir the pot or hijack this worthwhile thread, but there are political issues involved too...not just lawbreaking guides.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One suggestion that has not come up, but something I might consider, if faced with the same situation. That is to "accidently" lob a couple of casts into the offending boat...with the same big treble hook "jigs" being used by the snaggers. A dose of their own medicine might be a painful lesson to them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been accused of being a bit harsh in my own reactions to the offenses of other anglers. In the past I have done my share of "retribution". However, in my older years I have mellowed out a bit. Maybe it is because you never know who is armed and willing to shoot somebody over something fun like fishing. A lot of wackos out there. Sometimes it is better to shake your head in disbelief and leave the spot to the unsportsmanlike intruders. Fishing is not worth serious injury or loss of life. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The best we can do is to practice ethical, lawful and sportsmanlike conduct in our own fishing...and to set a good example for our kids and fellow anglers. If somebody else wants to lay awake nights figuring out how to beat the law, then that is on them. Don't let their problems become your problems.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Now, now. No throwing big hooks. That would escalate fast. Pat, your pretty handy with a camera, I'm pretty sure you would be able to provide ample evideance and testify in a manner that would assure they were found guilty. If you ever encountered them , even from 50' away.

I for one think video is the way to go, then off to the local TV news stations with that. I have never witnessed this, here, it was a problem on the salmon rivers back home, and walleye.

We could also work twords getting the board to make possession of any fish with an injury in anyplace other than the mouth illegal to posess.
[signature]