Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The deer hunt
Well, the hunt wound up being alright. Alright because we had a 100% five for five success rate. Not great because of the quality of the bucks.

I hunted every day, pushed upwards of 15 miles of country on foot everyday, on three separate desert ranges. Saw around 150 does and fawns, 35 bucks. Easy. Only 3 went over 28”, maybe 10 over 20”. Not a whole lot of mature mulies, but a lot of up and comers for sure. Next couple of years are gonna be fantastic.

I went to an area on Wednesday I'd hunted when I was 14 and 15, hiked across the old flat, and jumped up the buck I tried for the rest of the hunt. Around 34" wide, 4x4 with eye guards, and mass that kept up all through out his antlers. I figured he'll go about 215 to 220, depending on a couple measurements. Giant buck. I jumped him every morning in the same canyon, and everyday the same thing happened. He'd pop the Saddle just below the shale cliff lines, stick to the cedars and junies, and get outta range. Honestly the smartest deer I've ever seen.

My little brother got off school on Thursday and went out with me, along with my uncle and aunt. They didn't have much time to hunt this year, so I took them to a spot I found three small bucks at. Luckily, all three were there. Both my brother and aunt shot two points, and my uncle a massive three point. Old, regressed buck for sure. My lil bro's is the first buck, my uncle's the second, and my aunt's the back deer.
[center][inline "lil bucks 2007.jpg"][/center]

My dad came out Friday. He wound up shooting a 24” 4x4 on Saturday I’d passed up a couple times. Sunday I hunted the big buck one more time. I wasn’t even going to punch a tag. I pushed the ridge, tracked him into the next drainage, and saw him leave that one into another further south. I hiked back towards my truck pretty bummed out. It was about 5:30 or 6, and I was almost done for the year. About 100 yards away from my truck, I jumped a buck I hadn’t seen. He was a 22” 4x4 with a 5th forming on his right side. So I slammed him once in the neck, knocked him down, and called it a hunt. [center][inline 2007mulie.jpg][/center]
Sure sounds like a nice hunt. Congrats on taking the nice deer.
[signature]
Congrats sir.
[signature]
Thanks guys