Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly fishing Snook help. Please. (again)
i have a 9wt outfit from LL Bean rigged to go.
I have handled a fly rod enough to get reasonable casting of line and fly. But that was all light tackle with 2# leader for trout and i never really caught much. I really like the acton of the fly rod and I would like to try it on Snook, Sea Trout etc.
What do I do for a shock leader? I use 30# leader on my 10# spinning outfit.
can I use plasic jerk baits?
Anybody do this from a Kayak?
Thanks
[signature]
I would think a 2X Leader with 2X tippet. If the water is fast maybe even a 0X. There really isn't a shock leader so to speak, the rod action should do that, but I guess you could use a snubber or something.
[signature]
There is a product out there put out by Rio Powerflex caled trout shock gum. You can find it on line at rioproducts .com. Maybe this is what you are looking for.
[signature]
[cool][#005050]fyi[/#005050] [center][Image: cfbf3b3180c8cbd9c9b81bd66c053f1.jpg][/center]
[signature]
Thanks for your replys. Correction - I have a 8wt-9ft rod.
Anyway, I've been using the wrong discription I think.
My limited experiance with Snook indicates they have a very rough mouth (not teeth) and when they take the bait 3 or more inches into their "throat" the mouth abraids the leader a few inches above bait and I use a 30# leader material on 10# test spinning line to prevent the abrasion from breaking the line.
So, If I use my fly fishing rig can I use the 30# leader as a tippet and use the same plastic jerk baits or some salt water flys I bought?, How about a plug?
It has been very windy for days here because of Noel so I have not been able to get out or I would have just gone and tried it. I'm trying to use my "shut in time" constructively with you the experts so when I get a chance to try I'll be a leg up.
Thanks for your help.
[signature]
Try it, and you tell us. I don't see any reason why you can't do what you want.
[signature]
I fish the Salty myself. I am on the West Coast but we do have toothy fish as well. I prefer to use a hand made Tippet of Trilene Big Game. Lime Green has a little stretch to it and helps.

I use the 20lb on my 10wt and add a 3ft piece of 15lb Tyger Leader. It is made just for the fish with abrasive gum lines (extra teeth).

The snooks seem to like heavy streamers. Blue/White with bits of silver Mylar and irridescent flashabou tied into them.

I tie onto Pflueger Limerick 2/0 fish hooks. Before adding the normal streamer materials, place an underwrap of 23 wraps of .020 lead wire and add 1/32oz gold eyes at the head.

Tie up the rest as you normally would on a streamer. The extra weight will help you control the Tyger leader with ease on the 9wt.

The same fly can be used on a 10wt or 11wt rod.

As for the Specks, you will want to go with some Mustad 9164 #1 hooks. Tie up with 8 wraps of .015 lead and add burnt orange/red chenille. About 6 wraps will do you. Tie off and then add in some pumpkinseed legs on it. This will resemble the shrimp that they like to eat.

Both flys can be fished from a floating tip line. They will sink on their own to get down into the "Game Zone". Just remember to fish the Speck in the shallows. No Tyger leader is required for the specks so use a longer piece of 10lb mono in place.[cool]
[signature]