Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bass?
has anybody been catching bass at pineview, deer creek, jordanelle, or any places like that? i need to go do some bass fishing now that football is over so if i could get pointed in a good direction i would appreciate it. thanks for the time
[signature]
If you are targeting bass I would not recommend any of those places right now. In fact, the bass fishing is getting rather slow in most of this area. Unless you have a boat, be prepared for some slow fishing or try trout they love this time of year.
[signature]
The bass fishing is good at Jordanelle now the hard part is finding them, but when you do its hot and fast with some good size fish...

They will be in water from 20' to 40' deep feeding on the perch and chubs fishing from a boat so you can move around is a must...
[signature]
BR -

I'm Confused. I thought they'd be in much shallower water this time of year.

Perhaps that explains why fishing J-nelle last weekend in sub-20' water didn't produce?
[signature]
You may find a few in shallower water but I do much better if I fish in water 20' and over this time of year...

I like to call it or look at it like playing a game watching your depth finder and when you see them on or with in 3' of the bottom you drop down on them and watch them take it...

Most of the time they are in schools of 3 or more, last year at this time I got 40 bass in one spot about 20 feet long...
[signature]
Hmmm. I just assumed colder water meant shallower depths for bass.

Thx for the reply.
[signature]
Caught a few at Pineview last weekend. Its not red hot but it is steady. Like Cliff said around the 20 ft mark was the ticket.
[signature]
i think the deeper water is warmer water right now and holds more oxygen which should hold more fish.......but dont quote me on it
[signature]
I never considered that. If that's true, I think you might be onto something. Why the deeper water be warmer though? Lake turnover?

You really got me thinking on this one...
[signature]
Once a lake turns over the deepest part will be the warmest part. That doesn't happen until it reaches maximum density, which is 39.2 degrees. But right now, the deeper water is the most stable water. The surface temperatures may be changing several degrees between morning lows, and afternoon highs. The deeper water is going to be the same temperature all the time.

Fishrmn
[cool][#0000ff]It is only partly a matter of temperature...for the bass. Like most predators, they follow their groceries. Since they feed heavily on perch and perch fry, when the perch go deep the bass go deep. And...the perch are well into their late fall migration to deeper water. They are now as deep as 50 feet in some spots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Many serious bassers do not fish for bass in the winter months, when they are deeper than about 30 feet deep. Like many fish, when bass are quickly brought up from deeper water their air bladder swells up and protrudes from their mouths. If you release them they may be unable to swim back down to repressurize. You can "fizz" them, by puncturing the distended bladder with a needle, but that increases the mortality rate.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, as Bassrods says, bass feed even in the winter and if you find them you can catch them. I haven't heard of many being caught through the ice at Jordanelle, but there are quite a few smallies and largies caught through the ice at Pineview. And, at shallow Pelican Lake, there are LOTS of largemouth caught every winter.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[size 2]Thx, Fishrman & TD. I can see that GI Joe's adage of "knowing is half the battle" applies here. I just didn't know the grocery store had gone deep. I had read posts from early fall about bass moving to shallower water, and I just assumed that trend was still in place. Assuming the trend ever was.

Really 'preciate the info sharing. I've been hanging out at the 7-11 at less than 20' ; should've been at Smiths at greater than 25'...

TG[/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Just for future reference, there is a fairly predictable cycle of bass movements through the year. In the early spring, when sunshine starts to warm the shallower waters, look for bass to come into very shallow water on south-facing banks (north side of lake). You can often see them basking just under the surface. They are usually not too active, feedingwise, but may move to take a slow plastic if the sunshine has warmed them a bit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once daytime water temps warm past 55 the bass will both move shallower and become more active. Good time for jig and trailer and large worms or lizards. Fished slow on the bottom. By the time the water hits 60 you can get some spinnerbait and crankbait action. Topwater stuff usually works best as the temps reach about 65. That is also the general temp for bass to be making nests and spawning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A big part of bass moving shallower is again dependent upon their food supply. Crawdads crawl up from the depths and out from under rocks where they have been wintering when the water warms and the bass are right behind them. The fry (and small yearlings) of early spawning species...like perch and walleyes...are starting to swarm in the shallows by April or May too. And, sunfish spawn just before or at the same time as bass, so they are shallow then too. In lakes where there are crappies, they usually spawn between perch and bluegills. Their fry are highly targeted by just about all species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In lakes with muddy bottoms, like Utah Lake, the largemouth feed upon leeches, crawdads and other creepy crawlies in the early part of the year. Fish jigs and worms slowly around structure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Obviously, there are a lot of variations in the cycles between different bass ponds...depending upon elevation, depth and food sources. But, the single common denominator is find the food and you will find the fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Okay to shop at Smiths, but you will find more "bass chow" at Sportsmans...or Cabelas...or Wallyworld...etc.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[size 2]OK, TD, this post is so impressive, you've forced me to add it to my fishing-reference spreadsheet.

I hope you can handle the pressure of being a venerated information source.

Really nice of you to take the time to write this. VERY interesting and worthy, because it tells me I need to focus more on learning the food source of my target fish, and mimic accordingly. All the while keeping in mind [#bf0000]"Obviously, there are a lot of variations in the cycles between different bass ponds...depending upon elevation, depth and food sources."[/#bf0000]

I'm really curious to get back to J-nelle now and practice your advice. Just as soon as S-berry ices up...

Thanks a lot![sly][/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Fishyology is a lifetime study. No limit on the courses you take or how many times you repeat them. You never graduate but you add degrees of proficiency and enjoyment.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I make no pretense of knowing all there is to know about bass in general or about Jordanelle or any other lake. Anybody who claims to know it all will lie about other things too. But, like many other BFTers, I am always willing to share what I THINK I KNOW, based upon my own experience and from what I have picked up from others willing to share their knowledge.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's what it's all about. Sharing what you can and being properly grateful for what others share with you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Now that is a very good way to put TubeDude Sometimes we all need a little refresher course this time of the year. thanks for the help [cool]
[signature]
dont forget when it comes to bass fishing sometimes everything we know about where they are and what they are suppose to be doing.goes right out the window, they are just as unpredictable as they are predictable
[signature]
One thing to keep in mind is fish have to eat, to find them find the food...

In the fall the minnows are small and in some types more then a 5 to 8 temp chang will kill them so in the fall they go deep to where the most stable temps are, in the spring they are bigger and stronger and the temps don't kill them as easy so they can move to warmer waters in day time...
[signature]
I fished Jordanelle yesterday and it was pretty slow. We did catch some fish, but unless your a hardcore bass guy, I would just go to strawberry and catch some cuts.
[signature]
[reply]
[black]I fished Jordanelle yesterday and it was pretty slow. We did catch some fish, but unless your a hardcore bass guy, I would just go to strawberry and catch some cuts.[/black] [/reply]

[black]Even armed with Dr. Fishyology's insider info, it's hard not to draw that same conclusion...[/black]

This a 'berry nice time of the year.
[signature]