Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Gills
[font "Technical"][size 3][#0000a0]I know Newton and Hyrum have blue gills, what time of year does the fishing pickup for them. I haven't caught any gills and I would like to try for them at Hyrum or Newton. When, where, and how should I chase them? What methods work for you?[/#0000a0] [/size][/font]
[signature]
[laugh][size 3] your best bet for big bluegill is newton. I fish there a lot for them, the best time will be in about 3 weeks but they will still bite now.just not as fast. the best place there is on the west side by the pump it's a bit of a walk if you dont have a boat bu it's worth it. we use mostly small jigs tiped with a worm "small worms work best" or wax worm. (I mostly use the wax worm)one other good spot for them up there is at the north end (by the old dam). those are the two places I fish most for them up there but you'll have to try others also. try useing fire line to fish for them because you might hook a muskie too. hope this helps you [/size]
[signature]
[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]Thanks for the reply nomoose, I will give it a try, do you fish the jigs under a bobber or cast and retrieve. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]
[signature]
Newton does have some nice bluegill, but ever since a couple of years ago when they almost drained the whole lake there just hasn't been a whole lot of bluegills left in there. Now my 2 favorite places to go after bluegill would have to be Mantua and Utah Lake. Mantua's bluegill can be tricky to get with jigs or spinners, so you want to use a popper on a fly pole or just a scude on a fly pole or rod since you cant use bait. But there are some HUGE bluegill in mantua as the state record was caugt there. At Utah lake I usually just fish in or around the marinas and at the springs at Lincoln Beach. A small jig tipped with a worm or just a plain hook and worm a couple feet under a bobber will get them really fast as it starts to warm up.
[signature]
I just use a jig no bobber. I use a !/16 size jug most of the time. let it sink down about 4 to 5 foot then start to reel, keep I eye on the fall also thats when they eat it most. hope this helps you out.
[signature]