Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba and Utah Lakes 11-5-07
[cool][blue]Swedishfish and I headed for Yuba this morning, full of expectation of catching some big ol' northerns and wallies. We were full of something, all right.

20 degree air temp as we stopped at the state park over look to take a pic of the neato columns of steam rising off the lake. Oops. No camera. First time in five years I have left my camera home on a fishing trip. JINXO.

Yuba is suffering from low water like all the other Utah lakes. No water behind the bridge to launch from..Actually we drove down under the bridge and launched from a sand bar in front of the bridge. That low.

Water temp 49 at launch, but there was a few inches of thin ice around the edges in the cold morning air. The light westerly breeze made every layer welcome this morning. Fingers got cold even with the fingerless gloves.

No surface activity. No fish responding to spinners or jigs next to shore...or out away from shore. Where are the rainbows this year?

Ryan headed east along the gravelly north shoreline. I worked across the face of the dam and around the rubble shoreline to the south. Nada, zilch, zippo. No hits, no runs no fishies. Watched the sonar as we worked from shallow out to past 30 feet. DID NOT MARK ANY FISH until after 30 feet deep. Then they got more plentiful until in the deepest areas...about 50 feet...there were lots of marks. Only problem was that they all had their little mouths closed. Don't know whether they were neutral or negative but they were not biting any of the jigs or other stuff we sent down for a vote.

After the sun had been on the water for a while, we started getting some tiny taps and both caught a few perch. Most were small but several were between 10 to 11 inches. Pale and skinny. Wonderperch. While I jigged seriously to try to find something else in the depths, I floated a bubble and fly out behind my tube. Had a couple of whacks before landing a bright and beautiful 13" yearling bow. Not the 6-8 pounders of a couple of years ago, but a brief interlude from the perch.

We had planned to go to Painted Rocks as Plan B if the fishing was not good near the dam. But, since we did not think the water would be over 30 feet deep down there, and there did not seem to be any fish shallower than 30 feet, we opted to get out and head to Utah Lake to drag some of our unused minnows. Air temp had risen to 55 degrees and the water to 51 when we got out of Yuba about 11.

Hit the water at Lincoln Beach about 1 PM. Water temp there was 51 too...and about the cleanest I have seen it in a long time. The nice weather of the past week or so has helped settle the sludge. Hasn't improved fishing though. Lots of casting jigs and dragging baits without much action. A couple of runners on minnows (no hookups) and one 8" white bass on a little pink jig. That was it. At least the weather was wonderful. Flat glass all afternoon.

When we discovered that I had forgotten to bring the camera we wondered which way the jinx would go...lots of big fish, with no way to take pictures...or no fish at all as a punishment for forgetting the stupid camera. Looks like the latter mode kicked in. No skunk but still stinky. But, it was a fun and pretty day on the water.
[/blue]
[signature]
The rainbows in yuba are in the bellies of those pike! [Tongue] Early spring and summer i have caught bows with teeth marks on them. I guess a 16 inch bow would be more fullfilling than a scrawny perch. I was there last week and it was the same way .Perch small and skinny.
[signature]
I am trying to find time to hit Yuba before ice up but with low water and all it may not happen, thanks for the report...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You are right...about the pike eating rainbows. There are several lakes in the west where pike have been illegally introduced (bucket biology) and have literally destroyed the trout fishing...or at least changed it radically from what it once was.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you pointed out in another post, the large perch are also having an impact on the trout. The two attached pictures shows what happens to a lot of the newly planted trout in Yuba.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is scary what has happened to the perch just in the last year. Last fall, I got lots of BIG perch by casting small white jigs next to shore while they were cleaning up the last of the few remaining fathead minnows. This year there are not even any visible perch fry...anywhere. The adults have already snarfed up all the babies and are due to have a lean winter. If we do not get enough water to raise the lake up into the vegetation this winter, no perch spawn...CRASHO. Then the trout that survive the pike will do well again.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Its weird to see a TD post without pics. Just not the same...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I know, I know. It was wierd for me too. Lots of "photo ops" but when I reached for the camera...on that stretch band around my neck...it still wasn't there...no matter how many times I kept trying to find it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now maybe you guys will be more appreciative when I DO post pictures.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll try not to let it happen again...for at least the next five years.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yeah, I missed the camera too. That jinx was brutal to say the least.

By the way, thanks again TubeDude. It was an enjoyable day and, as always, I learned plenty.
[signature]
Don't feel lonely TD. We fished it Sunday afternoon and we had the same luck except for my 6 yr old who stayed busy slaying the carp with a bobber and a piece of worm - at least we stocked up on bait. The carp were active and that was about all. We marked a lot of fish in places but they had lockjaw - not even a perch would bite - I was suprised. Thinking about one last trip on thursday just to run the gas out of the boat some more and gps some more ice fishing spots. I have never ice fished there but I am getting ready to do my duty [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad to know that we were not the only ones that Yuba did not treat very well. Glad you got to play with the buglemouths. I got a lot of them on lures earlier in the year. Seems they feed on baby perch and young carp just like the perch to. Any lure that caught perch caught carp. Lotsa fun on light tackle too. And...excellent bait too. Not only for cats, but also good to tip hooks when fishing for perch. It is tough and is legal in Yuba even though you currently can't use perch meat. Also works for trout in many lakes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, Yuba is acting true to form. Most years the perch and other predators stay around the edges of the lake, as long as there are minnows or fry from perch or carp to be munched. But, once the little guys go deep, the predators follow. During the transition stage, when the water temps first go past the 50 degree mark and are fluctuating with storms and cold spells, the fish head for the bottom in the deepest part of Yuba. Last year that was about 56 feet at this time. This year it is 49 feet at the deepest. Once things stabilize, and/or an ice cap forms, a lot of the fish will move back into shallower water. Some folks were catching perch through the ice last winter in only 23 to 25 feet of water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If I were going to target perch after Jan 1, I think I would start right out in the middle of the basin between the main ramp and the dam. It is a big flat bottomed bowl out there with almost constant 45 - 50 feet of water. If there are no fish there, I would try up off Walleye Point and then keep drillin' and sonarin' up toward the narrows. If there is any rise in the water, the area around Painted Rocks could be good. But, right now it is probably too shallow for any decent ice fishing prospects.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Tubedude, too bad about the camera, I always look forward to your pics. My dad and I went to Yuba on the 6th, but we only caught 3 Perch between the two of us. We did manage to catch 5 of these though..

[Image: Scott4fish.jpg]

[Image: scottdad2.jpg]

[Image: Dadfish.jpg]
[signature]
What a great stringer on northerns. Congratulations. Any details?
[signature]
Nice!!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Excellent. I do well from my tube when I can find the fish, but I will be the first to admit that a "well skippered" boat is the secret to finding them sometimes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those northerns sure are chunky.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great stringer!!! DOnt let Lunkerhunter2 see you handle them like that?
TS
[signature]
The biggest was 13lbs and had a 12 inch trout inside. The stringer worked well, would LH2 like them handled like [url "http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/muleskinner/mmm.jpg"]this[/url]?[:)] Those things were tasty!
[signature]
Nice catch.
[signature]