Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bait casting reel
i'm buying a new baitcaster and can't decide between a pfleuger president or a shimano curado... i've heard both are awesome so i was just asking for some input. and what lb test does everyone use on their baitcasters?
[signature]
What I like to do is go to a sporting goods store that carries the type of reels you think you mite like and put them on a rod and see how they feel in your hand....

Next is I like to check and see how free the spool will spin, most will only spin for 5 to 8 sec. the better ones will spin for 15 sec. and the best so far is one made by Daiwa that went for over 25 sec...

Line well that depends on what you fish for and what lures you want to use and where you fish...

Oh yes, and sense this is a bass site I guess you will be fishing for bass, so if I can I like to get all the same type of reels the same so when I pick one up they all work the same...
[signature]
The Pflueger and the Shimano are both good reels. As was mentioned, the amount of spin can play a key roll as to how easy it will be for you to cast.

I have been using the Okuma Alumina 200 series which can generate close to 18 seconds of spin. That really comes in handy for the lighter lures, jigs and worms that you may be throwing.

I use the AL200W model. I spool it up with 10lb line for almost all the fishing that I do with it. Since I fish from a float tube and keep the drag a little lighter, there is no need for heavier line unless you would plan to fish some heavy structure. I will also use a heavier line when I am pitching the 12 inch trout imitations for the bigger
Bass.

The 200 series is very close to the Curado size and weight.

The 100 series is a little bit lighter but doesn't have the same casting distance nor line capicity as the 200. The 100 is exceptionally well for vertical jigging though.

Check out the difference in price and you will see another amazing difference too.[cool]
[signature]
wow that is a nice reel! i'm going to cabelas tomorrow and i'll check it out. i'm thinking of that or the pflueger just because of the price. i have a spinning pflueger president and its awesome so i think the baitcaster would be the same. but i'll check that okuma out because it looks like a good one
[signature]
I have a Pflueger Trion and President, they are nice reels but seem 'bulky' for a low profile baitcaster. I have some Quantum baitcasting reels that I use all the time for several different presentations on different weight poles. They are very comfortable and reliable and conform to your hand much better than Pflueger. I honestly don't know what Quantum reels they are, off the top of my head I think two are an E760PT, and four are a 501CX??, I'll have to check-the 501's, they are my favorites and less costly and more adaptable. It seems you have been bitten by the bass bug [cool]
[signature]
i like my shinamos citica and currado, i have thrown everything possible with those, big and small fat and skinny lol, i have no problems with them, drag is smooth, lubing is easy, casting smoot, so when you are at cabelas check em out!! i know you will not be dissappointed!
[signature]
I'm a firm believer in the Plueger reels both bait casting and open face (President series). They've never let me down. But I'm certainly not saying their the end all to be all reels either. Like stated above " go BPS or somewhere who sells both, put them on a rod and see how they feel. Both Plueger & Shimano put out top notch stuff.

J.
[signature]
i was at cabelas a little while ago and i'm sold on the pflueger president. the shimano wasn't as good as i expected it to be! but the pflueger supreme is also really nice so i don't know what one to get out of those 2. i'm excited though
[signature]