Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need more power! Anybody want to trade?
Hey all,

I've had my 14' aluminum boat now for a few years and at lower altitudes and/or minimal passengers, the boat is a hot rod with the 1988 Merc 20 HP outboard on it. I've gone 24 mph (GPS) at Willard Bay in it. Even at Strawberry I can go 19 mph with must me in it. However, if I go to Strawberry with 3 people (or must 2 if one is my 250lb cousin) the motor struggles and eventually fouls a plug out every now and then, causing me to spend the rest of the day going 6 mph (since it won't plane with one plug fouled) I know that I need a lower pitched prop under these circumstances to allow the engine to develop in its rpm range, but then I lose speed. It is so bad, that when I know I'm going to have a boatload, I put my 15 HP Johnson on it and settle for 12 mph. My solution, is that I want up to a 35 horsepower engine. The boat is rated for that output and I want as much as I can put on there.

My motor runs well, especially at the high rpm's. It is a 1988 Mercury 20 HP tiller. It has never idled that well, in that some days it idles perfectly, and some days not at all. Might be the idle screw adjustment and I've played around a little with it with some success, but rather than deal with it, I've just gotten used to it, and have an electric motor for slow trolling. Compression is good, etc.

Anybody interested in trading? I want a 30 or 35 HP short shaft tiller and I don't care how old as long as it is electronic ignition. (no points and condenser) and as long as it runs reasonably like mine currently does.

I don't really want to sell it outright as then I would have a boat with no motor and I'm kindof thinking about upgrading to a 16' soon and it's a lot easier to sell a boat with a motor than without. But would entertain any serious offers.

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I feel your pain I run a 16ft with a 6hp wish I had more coin to upgrade, I would love to see 20 mph!
[signature]
You should look for a 4-stroke. No problems with fouling plugs and they are generally a little more torquey (if thats a word[Wink]). I've got a '70s 6hp Evinrude on my 14ft and it runs great, it's just a pig to start. I'm looking at a new Honda 15hp. I let you know how it goes when I pick it up.
[signature]