Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weight forward?
Growing up in Utah I've bass fished most my fishing life...huh? Anywho, this last year I've taken my fly pole on some exclusive trout excursions and have got to the point that I feel confident flingin' my fly but don't have the distance that I would like to have although I have tried very hard. I recently bought a decent fly rod at a garage sale for $5 with reel. (Pflueger rod, Martin?reel) It has a weight forward line on it and holy*&^^ what a difference!
I was wondering, on a novice level and I'm sure this has been addressed before, but what is a moderately priced weight forward fly line?. I fish mostly out of my toon when flyfishing and more often than not for bass but have recently caught a HUGE brown on my fly pole that was completely unexpected and have realized that I may have been missing out on something...what a fight!!!!
[signature]
You can get a decent WF line for 30-40 bucks, but I would pay a little extra like 55 dollars for a little better line that will hold up better.
[signature]
Im not advertising for these guys but more in it to save a fellow fly fisherman some cash sierratradingpost.com has brand name fly line for around 20 bucks. I got lucky and got 5w cortland 555 rocket taper for 30 bucks normally cost twice that. I think they might sill have some WF4F left... Also got Sage, Orvis and some other brand names for cheap.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I am going to say that the line is the most important part next to fly and presentation.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]You say you are having trouble getting distance, I am betting a lot of it is because of the line.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]If you primarily stillwater fish I would say a WF (weight Forward) is just fine, plus it will work on rivers if you get in the mood.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]But, if you are focusing on stillwater, floating would be that last line I would look for. You should be looking at an Intermediate, Type II and maybe a Type 5-7 to get down real fast.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have caught fish on a dry on stillwater and it is unbelievable, but it is rare to find a constant rise in one area.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]For stillwater you really do need a sinking line, and I would say the quality and the price might not be as important as a DRY line.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Dry line as I said, don't skimp, look at Rio, SA, Cortland, etc. By the way Rio Windcutter II is awesome line. And most of my lines are well over 5 years old and still look great.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Final note: There is a "Fishing Pole" and then there is a "Fly Rod". But I have never seen a "Fly Pole". [laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][/size]
[signature]
Thanks for the info, flygoddess. I don't get the 'fly pole' thing, it is what it is, isn't it?
[signature]
[black][size 3]If it is a spinning or bait outfit that you are attaching a FLY to, then I guess you could call it a FLY POLE.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]But if it is a long pole with snake guides and one stripping guide and you are using a fly line reel, line and leader, then it is called a fly ROD.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]It's like Harley Davidson and Moped, then are both motorcycles, but one is a hog and the other is a scooter.[laugh][/size][/black]
[signature]
[reply]

[black][size 3]But if it is a long pole [/size][/black] [/reply]

???

Teehee, I understand what you mean but it sounds kind of elitest.
[signature]
She's right. You're lucky you didn't post this on a different site.(UOTF) Some real studs![Wink]
[signature]
[reply]She's right. You're lucky you didn't post this on a different site.(UOTF) Some real studs![Wink][/reply]

So do you fish with a pole or a rod?

We hate that kind of crap over on UOTF...

Call it whatever you want. Why does it even matter? Hell, if you want to string up a fly line on an ugly stick, more power to you.

Cheech (your buddy from UOTF)

Go Gators
[signature]
There are studs and there are real studs. I think you are the later. Which is not a bad thing....
[signature]
Cheech just says that so he can use his kids "Snoopy Pole" while we all know is his favorite[cool]

Rod is only elitist if you think that way. Lord knows I have seen fishing poles that cost as much as Fly Rods anymore.
[signature]
[black][size 3]"This is my weapon, this is my gun, one is for fighting, the other is for etc."[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I haven't checked, but I would bet that if you check all of the web sites for companies that manufacture and sell fishing rods/poles, not one of them sell a pole.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It really doesn't make a difference what you call it, but everything does have a proper name.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Now I got to go spool my fishing winch with fresh string.[/size]

[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[reply]
Thanks for the info, flygoddess. I don't get the 'fly pole' thing, it is what it is, isn't it? [/reply]

This is a fishin' pole. Note the DT florocarbonated type II Fireline and the neato treble hook
[inline "fishin' pole.bmp"]A guy named Clark builds them for under $200
[signature]
[black][size 3]With the set that "pole" has taken in the tip section, I would guess that it's one of those rare, expensive "willowboo" rods.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
It seems as though flyfisher...people don't fish with fishing poles, they fish with 'rods'. I think I'll just stick to my baitcasting poles and use my flypole on occasion and just be a happy fisherman doing what I love best, fishing...not rodding.
[signature]
[reply] It seems as though flyfisher...people don't fish with fishing poles, they fish with 'rods'. I think I'll just stick to my baitcasting poles and use my flypole on occasion and just be a happy fisherman doing what I love best, fishing...not rodding.[/reply]

I like catching best, fishing second, and rodding third. Poleing is just unheard of.

You see, you have to talk to rods the right way, kind of like a spoiled 6 year old. You call it the wrong thing, and you are in for trouble.

This is a funny topic. If I asked my 5 year old what a fishing pole was, she would give me a blank stare. A fly rod... that's another story.

In all seriousness, fish it, and call it what you want. As long as you are having fun.
[signature]
[reply]
[reply]
It seems as though flyfisher...people don't fish with fishing poles, they fish with 'rods'. I think I'll just stick to my baitcasting poles and use my flypole on occasion and just be a happy fisherman doing what I love best, fishing...not rodding. [/reply]

I like catching best, fishing second, and rodding third. Poleing is just unheard of.

You see, you have to talk to rods the right way, kind of like a spoiled 6 year old. You call it the wrong thing, and you are in for trouble.

This is a funny topic. If I asked my 5 year old what a fishing pole was, she would give me a blank stare. A fly rod... that's another story.

In all seriousness, fish it, and call it what you want. As long as you are having fun. [/reply]
That's one ugly bug Tube Dud. I can recommend a carpet cleaner that could rid you of them. He'll do it for flies.
[signature]
That's funny right there. Nice post Al...

Do I trust this bissel boy with my address though? Yes. As long as my 100 pound German Shepherd is in the house.

Good dog...
[signature]
Having the right line will help with distance, but it is just part of the equation. The right line matched with the right action of rod (er, pole of you insist) and practicing the single and double haul casts will get your line out where you want it (even in wind). On a fast action rod you can get away with a double taper and overlining (using a weight heavier). I am using a 6 wt double taper on my 5 wt XP and I can throw it as far if not farther than the WF 5 line I had on it before.
[signature]
I'm glad you brought up DT or double-taper. What the hell is it? I'm not exclusive to fly-fishing, but I probably enjoy it more than any other type of fishing. I have a WF floating line for streams and a Type II sink for stillwater. What is DT designed for? What scenarios are ideal for this type of line. Any info would be appreciated.
[signature]