Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catch a sturgeon
[center][font "Poor Richard"][size 4][green]MATTHEWS’ PICKS OF THE WEEK [/green][/size][/font] [left][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font] [left][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]1. Trying to catch a sturgeon over 100 pounds is still our top pick. There have been five over 100 pounds landed at Hesperia Lake in the past two weeks along with a good number of smaller fish from 15 to 25 pounds. Top baits have been mackerel, Power Bait, salmon roe, and nightcrawlers. Hesperia is also one of the top places to get trout, and there have been brown trout to nearly 10 pounds caught in the past week. For more information, call the tackle shop at 800-521-6332 or 760-244-5951.
2. The largemouth bass bite at Diamond Valley Lake has really started to turn on with a lot of quality fish from five to just over nine pounds reported in the past week. The fish are still showing at a wide range of depths, from the top all the way down to 40 or 50 feet. Trout plants have started again for the fall, so there is also good rainbow action around the marina, and these plants are also probably bringing up some of the big bass -- although it would take a heck of a bass to eat one of the two-pound planters. For the latest on the bass bite, check with the marina staff at 951-926-7201 or call Last Chance Bait & Tackle at 951-658-7410.
3. The first monster trout of the fall-winter trout season are being planted this week at Santa Ana River Lakes and Corona Lake. These are the huge Mt. Lassen Trout Farms rainbows that run from 10 to 20 pounds with the likelihood for even bigger fish. Both lakes have been very good for trout, so which to visit is more your preference. For an update, call the SARL tackle shop at 714-632-7830 or the Corona Lake tackle shop at 951-277-4489.
[/size][/green][/font][/left]
[signature]
... we got just over a week before we fish.. cant wait.. Ill be happy to get some good fish.. and if luck is with us maybe hook into if the big biys and see how far it drags us around the lake.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
You are lucky that the lake is not super huge like Elsinore is. That gives a limit to how far a big fish can drag you.[shocked][shocked] [cool]
[signature]
... thank God for small favors.... [Smile].. seriously though I am grateful for the opportunity to make this trip and hopefully Ill listen to everyones good advice and Ill be lucky enough to hook and land a few good fish...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
As luck would have it, I may end up renting one of the Pontoon boats. I have few other friends that decided to go with us and "Big Game" it for some of the big Cats and Sturgeon.

Git er done![cool]
[signature]
... now how am I suppose to learn anything about tubin from you if you are up on a big pontoon boat?? [crazy]

.. btw I got the booties and fins for my son in law this past weekend.. with what you have I think we are both all set..

dang..except his pfd.. will the money spending ever stop??? [angelic]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I remember a day in my life when times were simplier, all I need was a pocket to hold my tackle box a strap to hold my telocopic fishing rod and a basket on my bike to hold my fish...

now 1/10th of floor space in my house and property is devoted just to fishing... and you would think it would end there... I have yet begun to start looking at float tubing,

thermal wet suits, flippers paddles, floating cooler, rod holders, sun hat, shades, trolling motor, fish finder, battery, battery holder, beer cooler, lunch box... havent even started talking fishing equipment yet... nothin like traveling light....
[signature]