Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crapies keep stealing my worms
Crapies keep stealing my worms. Right off the hook. so i put on a treble hook to try to snag then they still stealy my nightcrawler right off the hook. Any suggestions?
[signature]
Are you sure they are not bluegill?

Could be using too big of a hook, also try the small hooks with the double barbs on them.
[signature]
I'm almost sure it is crapie's but it could be blue gill. where is the bard at the back of it on the spine of the hook?
[signature]
[left]I do believe the barbs are on the shank, you see them a lot on the pre rigged packs of hooks with line attached. I use them for holding corn on while carp fishing.[/left]
[signature]
I'd change over to a smaller hook and lighter line. Good Luck. Be sure to tell us what it was once you catch em.....
[signature]
I would agree on the smaller hook and lighter line. In addition, you may need a worm threader in order to hide the hook too.[cool]
[signature]
crawdads, small perch, small gills, small shiners are your primary bait steelers... If you go to a number #8 arberdeen hook... and an earth worm or red worm you will catch the little perp...

if it is a crawdad, you need to just lift and retreive slowly, no jerking, they will hold on to the hook and line and you can pull them up.

for crappie, go with a #4 arberdeen hook with a live minnow, if live is not allowed Josh's pickled minnows will work...

crappie are seldom bait steelers, they are more the grab it all and run type of fish, even the small ones.

if using a bobber and it is a crappie, you will get a couple nudges then the bobber will go down, if it is any other fish you will get continuous nudges...
[signature]
[reply]
I would agree on the smaller hook and lighter line. In addition, you may need a worm threader in order to hide the hook too.[cool] [/reply]
what does a worm threader look like? would i be able to go to a store that sells tackle and ask for it? or could i make one?
[signature]
It has a 2 inch long wooden handle and about a 4 inch needle on it. Most tackle shops will have them.[cool]
[signature]
Use a Maniac Gizzy Bug, you don't need bait!
[signature]