Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
underbody and overbody..
...I was just looking at a fly pattern on the fly tyers forum link and of course it lead to a question I think I know the answer too but want to make sure..

.. it listed [green]Olive Dyed Lateral Scale[/green] for the "underbody" and for the [green]Green Stretchy Cord[/green] "overbody"...

I am guessing this is two seperate layers to form the body of the fly.. is my guess correct..

the fly in question is called a "[url "http://flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flyshow&showid=5197"]stalker grub[/url]"

----- update--- [Smile]

I just looked up the "dyed lateral scale" material on line and it is listed as being used much like a flashback material.. is this material wrapped around the hook first or is it pulled back over the hook like you do with a pt flashback nymph.. ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Attractive pattern.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I can't give you much info. on the materials, some are names that I an not familiar with. But, If you would like to see some of this fellow's (Chad Trout) work, go to the web page you referenced, and click on the green area for his name.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]He has posted other nymph patterns that look really good. Looks like he uses similar techniques for all of his flies.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
..while I was on that link originally I did check out some of his other work and you are right.. a lot of the same type of fly being tied..

.. my main "concern" so to speak is the terms underbody and overbody.. I can only guess for now that the underbody is wrapped over the base thread and then the overbody is wrapped (probably counter to the direction of the underbody) over that.. I am going to do a little more "searching" and see what I come up with..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
From another forum I was able to get to know Chad Trout a little bit by meeting him at a couple of fly tying events we attended in the Denver area. He has been experimenting with the chek style of nymphing and has been developing a lot of patterns for this style of fishing.

He is going to be doing some fly tying demonstrations for the first time this winter - at a few of the Front Range fly shops in Colorado.

MacFly, You are correct about what overbody and underbody are. I am also not familiar with the materials he is using.

Over wings and Under wings are common terms you will see also. Typically you tie in a flash type material for an underwing and then tie in a fur or synthetic material for an overwing directly on top of the underwing.
[signature]
..I was pondering over this while at lunch today and this is what I think.. we all know that aint worth a hoot in hell with lack of experience but here goes anyway..

the site I checked for the material give this info:

Lateral Scale: This is siimilar to the Krinkle Mirror but is pearlized and dyed. I like this one for flashbacks and also for strips on minnow patterns. Colors: Pearl, Olive/dyed Pearl, Chartreuse dyed Pearl.

with that in mind.. I am seeing it in my minds eye as building up a good base with the thread.. not real thick but not one layer either.. then tie in the later scale.. then the stretchy cord etc..

.. wrap the lateral scale from bend to eye.. slightly overlapping each wrap.. then would come the strechy cord in an opposite wrap (like the wb copper wire).. in this case the cord would be like a rib but give the fly more definition and depth as well as the wrapping in the opposite direction would help keep the fly together ..

again.. this is what I see in my minds eye... its probably wrong but had to take a stab at sounding like I know what I am doing.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]You are right. Pretty much the same way we tie some Chironomids (except this is a basic soft-hackle which is very kewl)[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The stretch cord is somewhat transparent so the mirror effect will come through, specially when wet.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]But it is as you say to give it a nice segmented body also.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I gotta tie some of these up now! I am thinking red also plus orange, but olive is a great all around.[/size][/black]
[signature]
orange under..red over.. or vice versa.. maybe a yellow under and olive.. red.. orange over???

lol.. I gotta take a day off and get some tying done....LOL...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Hey there FGD looks like you are going with the "fall" color scheme. Nothing wrong with that as any hip fishy will tell you it is all about wearing the right colors in it's mouth to match the season.[crazy][/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30929;][/center]
[signature]
[sly]...another good one DR
[signature]