Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FLY TYING TIPS
I'm assuming you mean rotary vises, which would be a lot easier than holding them in pliers or visegrips.

But you've given me an idea. How about a manual drying wheel, for those who don't use epoxy (or anything of that nature) a whole lot? It would be simple enough to rig the wheel with a crank handle; even gear it down, if necessary---people new to epoxy often don't realize how slowly you can turn the fly and still prevent slumping. My powered wheel operates at something like 5 turns per minute is all.

Another tip, that anyone can use but which is especially usefull for novice tyers. If you lay out all the materials for, say, a dozen flies, then start tying, you'll be amazed at 1. how quickly they go, and 2. how much the 12th fly looks just like the 1st one.

Not that I think I've got anything to teach anybody who's turning out quantities of #30s. Nowadays I'm lucky to even see a size 30 fly (or even a 22, for that matter), let alone tie one. [Smile]

Brook
[url "http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com"]http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com[/url]
[signature]
Brook,

now you know why we call her the fly goddess.. LOL.. and Im with you.. I can barely see that size fly....much less attempt to tie it..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
BTW, with the holidays coming on, don't neglect all the seasonal stuff you can use for your tying kit: all sorts of glitter and sparkle things.

F'rinstance, last year in the dollar store I picked up a couple of packages of shat they called icecles. About the size of flash-a-bou. Each pack contains 600 strands, each 18 inches long. For a buck!

Can y'all imagine what that would have cost if it said "fly tying tinsel" on the label?

I got them in silver and red. But it wouldn't surprise me to find there are other colors available.

Ya gotta just stay alert to the possibilities.

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
also seen those in green and gold..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
AND THE PEARL ESSENT BOWES. I swear I got a present with a bow that is awesome MYLAR in all sorts of colors.

I do have two rotary vises, but I don't use them for the dab of glue on thread. Just a thin bead of glue like the wax some use. It sticks to the thread. About an inch long and it gives a nice well sealed head. Don't even need to whip or knot it as the glue will hold it.

I rented a DVD by Kelly Galloup and he is now doing the glue on the thread thing, so is Davy Whitlock. Great minds think alike LOL
[signature]
so you dont do a whip finish.. or half hitches?? just a dab of glue on your thread.. ???

if that is the case.. why is this the first time I have heard you say that..LOL>.

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I didn't mean I don't, I mean YOU/everyone, don't have to. I do the whip, but on the 32's it can be too much, so a little Zap-A Gap (waterproof superglue) on the thread and I don't need to whip.

If you were tying 32's, I am sure I would have shared this with you LOL
[signature]
okay.. I know .32 cal.. I know 32 oz.. but I dont know 32's.. LOL>. .. but.. on a serious note..

this could be used on any fly and be just as strong?? or on larger flies would you still at least put a couple of half hitches into it as you tied it down??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I do, but I don't think I need to. Just a habit.

Great way also for tying Parachutes
[signature]
as they say.. you learn something new every day.. plus it confirms something I had suspected or thought of before..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
For lack of a whip the fly was lost.

Somebody must have said that sometime. [crazy]

You're probably right, FlyGoddess. The whip finish isn't needed if the head is cemented down. And particularly if it's coated with lacquer or epoxy as well.

But it's a habit that's hard to break. And, what the heck, it don't cost nothing to take that extra second or two.

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
There are many styles of fly-tying vises on the market. The simplest is just a slot cut in a 3/8" piece of square steel with a hacksaw, and a thumb screw to tighten the slot. This type of vise will work all right, although rather clumsy and hard to tighten enough to hold the hook truly.
[signature]
But it's a habit that's hard to break. And, what the heck, it don't cost nothing to take that extra second or two.

[font "Century Gothic"][#008000]I have to agree with you on that Brook. Somethings are just done by route. Just seems like the fly is just not finished unless it is whipped.[Image: bobwink.gif][/#008000][/font]
[signature]