Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishers go Crazy
[center][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]FYI for SOCal[/green][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]Fly-fishers go crazy saving flies
DAVE STREGE
[/green][/size][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Register columnist
OUTDOORS
[/size][/green][/font][url "mailto:dstrege@ocregister.com%20"][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]dstrege@ocregister.com [/size][/green][/font][/url]
[/center][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green] [left]
One fly-fisher stripped his clothes off and swam naked into the river to retrieve his fly that got snagged. Another stood on the shoulders of the guide and used pruning shears to cut down the branch where his fly was lodged. A lucky one hooked a big fish that snapped his line, losing fish and fly, only to wait five minutes before the fly somehow dislodged from the trout's mouth and popped to the surface. He netted it — the fly, that is. What would lead a fly-fisher to go to such extremes to save a fly caught in a tree limb or a log in the river?
The annual Jackson Hole One Fly, a two-day fly-fishing event in which contestants can use only one fly for an entire day. Lose it in the first 10 minutes of fishing, like one contestant did, and he's finished for the day. Scott Sanchez, a guide and a renown fly-tier, has been around the famous event since its inception in 1986 and has seen or heard it all. He was the guide whose client perched precariously on his shoulders to save his fly, and who saw another lose his fly in the first 10 minutes. He was also the tier whose Double Bunny, shown above, was used by the winning angler in 1992-93-94. He also tied the winning fly, a Hairwing Adams variation, for Team Hollywood, featuring actress Heather Thomas, in 1991. Sanchez will be in the spotlight this weekend at the Educational Fly Fishing Fair at Bob Marriott's Flyfishing Store in Fullerton.
The One Fly was based on a one-shot antelope hunt legendary broadcaster/outdoorsman Curt Gowdy was involved in.
"And there is always a question in fly-fishing that if you only had one fly, what would it be?" Sanchez explained.
The catch-and-release contest on the Snake River began with local anglers. It has grown to international proportions with anglers coming from New Zealand, Australia and Europe. Sanchez of Jackson, Wyoming ties hundreds of flies for contestants each year, getting orders in January for the September event. "A bunch of people want a bunch of different flies" even though only one can be used, Sanchez said. "I've been tying flies for it from the very beginning. People know me. The more you tie flies, the more you become the go-to person." One year, Sanchez had so many orders he turned away contestants, one he had tied for before: Dick Cheney, before he was vice-president.
"Dick Cheney got ahold of me too late in the game so I had to tell him no," Sanchez said.
Fair hours:The Bob Marriott's Educational Fly Fishing Fair at the Fullerton store is 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday.
Sanchez will teach a fly-tying class for intermediate and advanced tiers Friday night from 6 to 10 p.m. for $75. He speaks at 11:30 a.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. Sunday. Call 800-535-6633 or visit [url "http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com"]www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com[/url]. The fly-fishing fair is free.
[/left]
[/green][/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
... now that is an event that Id like to attend.. even if I was not fishing Id love to see the goings ons of the event.. I think it would be a blast to watch.. if not fish..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I may be way off base on this, but on the one fly....is this the one where you get a fly that is a combination of many flies and you can trip off things to make it what you need?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Like a trude wing, or rubber leggs or tails.[/size][/black]
[signature]
..... hehehe so like layering your clothing when it is cold outside?? ya know.. take a layer off as it gets warmer...

or in this case remove a leg or a wing to make it a different fly....[sly]

...sorry sis.. had to do it.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[reply]
[center] [/center][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green] [left]"[#000000]He was also the tier whose Double Bunny, shown above, was used by the winning angler in 1992-93-94. He also tied the winning fly, a Hairwing Adams variation, for Team Hollywood, featuring actress Heather Thomas, in 1991."[/#000000][/left] [left]Het there FGD from the article it would appear that the contestant can use any fly of their choice. However, the scenario that you mentioned would be an interesting challange. If one isn't getting any hits just a little modification might prove fruitful. [/left] [left] [/left][/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
FG wrote: I may be way off base on this, but on the one fly....is this the one where you get a fly that is a combination of many flies and you can trip off things to make it what you need?[size 1]
[/size][black][size 3]Like a trude wing, or rubber leggs or tails.[/size][/black][size 1] [/size]

------------

[#4040ff]Like DR wrote you can use any fly. One of the early winning flies was a Scott Sanchez design that you would modify as the day goes to become different flies for the "hatch" at different parts of the day. It is my understanding that he was the first one to come up with such design of a fly. [/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[#4040ff]So the answer to your question is: Yes it is the same contest but you can use any fly.[/#4040ff]
[signature]
..[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#800000][size 3].so now we have flies with a "layered" look.. good Lord I gots lots to learn about this part of this sport.. [sly][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Hey there MacFly you had better move your fly tying station closer to the bar. I mean all this stuff can drive a sane man to drink.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Sane people don't take up fly tying.
[signature]
[black][size 1]Post:[/size][/black] [black][size 1]Sane people don't take up fly tying.

dB
clean, inspect, dry
disinfect your wading equipment. wash boat. disinfect livewells / sumps, wash ur dog [/size][/black]

[black][size 3]Ain't it the truth....however I GO fishing to find my sanity. But, alas, a never ending quest.[crazy][/size][/black]
[signature]
"[font "Viner Hand ITC"][#ff0000][size 3]can[/size][/#ff0000][/font]"... Im already there.. [sly]
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][size 3][#bf0000]..isnt that like a catch 22.. or a never ending circle.. you tie flies to go fishing.. your fishing helps you to think of variations to your fly.. so you go back and tie the variation.. then go fishing with that fly.. and so on and so on and doobie doobie dooo on.. ... God I gotta get a drink soon.. [/#bf0000][/size][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#bf0000][size 3][/size][/#bf0000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#bf0000][size 3]MacFly [cool][/size][/#bf0000][/font]
[signature]
...told ya.. my military career drove me nuts a lonnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg time ago.. have not recovered from it yet..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Heh. Kind of reminded me of a trip up to Longs Lake in the Uintas last summer. Here's a picture of me retreiving a fly.[sly]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Were you after a Kingfisher? If not why were you casting into a tree? & you thought that you were visiting a sane location. Duh I think not. [crazy][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Did you get it? I think I have a few in similar locations, do you think you could get them also[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Yep, I got it back. Next time I visit Utah (work moved me back to Colorado) I might have to head up there again and I'll keep an eye out for your flies. But yours are so nice I might have to keep a few as payment.[Wink]
[signature]