Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
silicon glue
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4]I just purchased a tube of silicon glue to adhere a new gasket in my pool's flow valve. I probably won'y have any other use for this material before it eventually hardens in the tube. Its happened before. So my question is - is there any use for this type of glue in tying flies?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
it is a bit slow drying but one might coat over lead wraps so that oxidizing lead can not bleed through the dubbing. Do a bunch of hooks with lead wrapped on them. put the silicone on them. After the silicone dries finish tying the fly.

I have used silicon adhesive to adhere patches onto my waders.
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Thanks Scruffy_Fly. Yes that stuff takes [according to the instruction] 24 yours to harden. It really doesn't matter I'm not doing it for a living. Besides doubt if I could sell any. At that rate it makes sense to do a batch at one time.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
...Ive seen and used your clousers...dont sell your tying talents short my friend....

.. could that glue also be used to shine up a flash back nymph??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Thanks for your kind words my friend. Due to the properties of the silicon glue and the fact it takes so long to set, I would prefer to stick with the good old fashion Hard AS Nails. I have used in on flies similar to a cooper john and it gives them a nice looking shiny casing.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
... you know me DR .. I speak it as I see it.. and I saw and used your flies and they are great..

... one day I will remember to get some of that hard as nails.. but I dont think it has been at the front of my mind since I am not thinking of tying flies that would need the extra shine.....yet that is.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]