Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
salt water weed guard
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Tying a salt water fly that needs a weed guard, then this video is for you.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][/size][/green][/font] [center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][/size][/green][/font] [/center]
[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f7zNGMOYrc"][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f7zNGMOYrc[/size][/green][/font][/url]
[signature]
..cool video.. could the same idea be applied to a freswater fly if you felt the need to have a weed guard on it??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi MacFly - while I am no expert on the subject I'm incline to think that a weed guard on a fresh water fly would make it to heavy to cast. No only the weight but the wind resistance that say a 20 mono wt guard would create. Salty swatters are probably using 9s & 10s. What say you TubeN2?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
... the reason I thought that was that you posted using a floss starter loop to clear head cement.. and that made me think of a post FG did a while back about drop loops for a drop fly.. so I figure if you can use a loop like that for a drop fly why cant you use a loop like in this video for a weed guard.. you'd probably use a lighter weight line to do it but the principle would be the same.. plus.. just remembered this. I have purchased popper flies before that had a weed guard.. soooooooooo .. I asked.. lol... you know me that if I have thought it usually leads to a question..

... again realizing I am a novice at this so I am doing a lot of guessing...[Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Well you are probably right. Didn't think about the guards on some of those bass poppers. But the mono used is certainly of a much lighter weight. As I said I really didn't know much about the subject whereas you have been paying attention to what is going on.[/size][/green][/font] [Wink] [font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Real cool my friend. Manana[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
...maybe FG and tn2 among others will write something and clear this up a bit more.. either way I am sure I will learn something more as is usually the case here.....

.. thank you for posting the link and getting a good discussion going on this.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Sorry I didn't get to this earlier. We were having a good bite in SC and decided to do some night fishing before the flight home.

As far as the weed guards go, I prefer to go lighter than the 20lb they were using in the video. The rod could be anything from 9wt to 11wt.

I prefer the 10 or 11wt if I am going to need a weed guard. Once I need a weed guard, that means that I am going to fish heavy structure and will need a good backbone in the rod.

Weed guards are also used on the Bass flies. Some of them are stiff mono and others are as small as .010 wire. Some of that depend on what you are willing to pay either for the ready made fly or for the extra spool to add to the 153 that you already have in your spool caddy.[cool]
[signature]