Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice around duluth area
I'll be visting family up that way around Christmas and was wondering how the ice has been previous years around the Duluth Ely area?

Thanks,
FF462
[signature]
Most of the time , you would not have a problem of finding good ice , but this year seems to be a little slow with the warm weather were having , but at Christmas time , you should find some kind of ice !!

[signature]
Glad to hear it, I havent been up there to ice fish in over ten years and look forward to spending a little time on the ice.

Thanks
FF462
[signature]
Let me know in advance when you are coming. Maybe we could meet up out on the ice for a day of fishing. Or I could lead you to a good spot if you don't know where you are going. I live an hour north of Duluth and an hour south of Ely.
[signature]
I wanted to fish Island lake the weekend of the 22nd since my father has a cabin there but turns out theres a family party that weekend so now im not sure if we will have time to make it, I'll send you a message next time im up there so we can atleast swap some fishing stories.

FF462
[signature]
we had ice this afternoon on one of our smaller lakes down here in south east michigan today...

almost felt like christmas....

ya I know the ice will be gone by sunday when the temps hit mid 40's again... but sure was pretty...
[signature]
I plan out being out on the ice within the next week or 2 as long as it is cold out. There are a few lakes here that are completely covered already.
[signature]
our lakes opened backe up as I thought it might, we got a couple inches of snow today...

I figure about the 20th of december for walkable ice for around here if we are lucky...
[signature]
Glad to hear about all the ice up there, down here in Utah we a few lakes with ice so far but I look forward to getting up there.

FF462
[signature]
There's plenty of snow in the mountains here in Oregon but I have yet to find anybody who can tell me anything about the mountain lakes and whether or not they get enough ice to walk on. I may have to go out and explore them myself... just gotta figure out how to get to them.
[signature]
sometimes, it pays to be a bar flie...[Wink]
[signature]
Haha... true. I was actually put in contact with someone that has seen ice on the lakes in eastern Oregon where he ice fishes. I'll hafta make plans with him early next year. Learn the ropes of trout and Kokanee fishing through the ice. Woohooo!!

Okay, so back to Duluth... how's the ice?
[signature]