Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AWSOME!
Two things.

1. Thanks for all the support with the family. We are finally over the crud that went around. I plan on getting the flies out over thanksgiving, thanks one and all for the patients.

2. I was finally able to get out and fling some fur. I picked up my cousin at 9:15 and headed up the Weber to do some fishing. At the top of the canyon is a rest stop and on a whim I pulled over. No one was fishing, and I have had good luck below the little dam there. We rigged up and hit the river. First cast, nice whitefish (some people don't like them, but they fight hard and it is a bend in the rod). It came to net and measured about 16 inches. The next cast, another whittey. This one was 12 inches. Whew no skunk. My cousin was trying his set of flies, down the river a little, so I headed up. Next to the bank I heard a splash and casted. Second drift the indicator dips and all hell breaks loose. A quick 5 minute fight and a very nice 24 inch brown is in the net, quick pictures taken and it is released. For the next 30 minutes, I proceed to catch 8 more browns all 18 to 22 inches long. They weren't on their redds, they were stacked up against the bank feeding on nymphs and eggs drifting down from the spawners. After I exhausted the hole, I started to move up when I saw more movement. Tucked under a brush pile was a "GIGANTIC" brown easily pushing 26-27 inches. I was able to get a cast up next to the bank and watched as my fly passed. It darted out to take it and in my exciment set the hook to fast. It took off to a deeper part of the hole.

After the excitement, we took off to the middle Weber. When we arrived, we tried the same set of flies and I was only able to get one white fish, so changed over and started the hunt again. Finally, I was able to tie into some fish. 11 whites took my flies (Red tailed prince and red copper john size 16--yes size 16!). I waited patiently for my cousin to catch something out of the next hole, but he didn't so I moved in. First drift, BAM, a nice 14 inch leaping rainbow to net (First one from this stretch). Next was a little white fish (6 inches), then one more drift and the fight was on again. This fish ran up and down the river and had me going for a few minutes before I landed the most beautiful 16 inch cutthroat. I admired it for a little and let it go (also the first one from this stretch). Again another drift, another hit and the rod bent deep. I could feel the fish throbbing on the end shaking its head and running hard. It finally sufaced and a very nice 24 inch rainbow was on the end. My cousin stopped to come watch and another fisherman came to watch. 5 minutes later it was gone. Shook the fly loose and was released. Maybe next time.

We headed back to the cars trying one more hole where I hook a brown that I long released. We talked to another fisherman who was having great luck on the browns with size 18 midges with white on them. The key for us was red. So I am going to tie up a bunch of ice cream cones, and some size 18 copper john with a white bead head and red tail as well as size 18 princes with a white head and red tail and try them out again.

Thanks for listening, it was nice to get out again (I haven't been fishing for months) and I look forward to the swap. Stay tuned for the stories to be posted this week with rules for voting. I did get one picture of the 24 inch brown but I haven't developed it yet, I'll try to post it when I get it developed.

Take care have a great turkey day.

katghoti
[signature]
[black][size 3]Thanks for the story. That was awesome! Glad you got out also....we all need to much more than we do![/size][/black]
[signature]
..congratrs and a great story.. you mentioned pics but I dont see any posted.. I hope you are gonna share.. Id love to see the pics of the big uns that did not get away.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Glad that you could get in a little R&R and have a productive day.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]