Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Casitas Info
Howdy California!

I'm visiting Ojai from Utah for Thanksgiving and was wondering how the fishing is at Casitas right now, anyone been fishing it lately? (silly question).
Also I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a guide that might be available this weekend, probably Saturday that I could hook up with?
I certainly would appreciate any info.

Thanks!

Apocalypse.
[signature]
I haven't had a bad day on Casitas this year. This doesn't guarantee that you will have a great trip, but it sure is better than many of the other lakes I've fished this year. The bass are shallow in the afternoon and Som topwater and frog bites are still happening and will continue during periods of warm weather. A great guide out there is Sean James, if he can't guide you due to scheduling problem he will help you out finding another guide. His NUmber is 1-888-81-GUIDE. Good luck and enjoy California!
[signature]
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Hey there bendopolo tell them what you use for bait.[/size][/green][/font] [/center]
[signature]
Mr. Dryrod:
I figure since Apocolypse is going to be hiring a guide he will probably be using what the guide tells him plus throwing where the guide tells him to throw. All I would do is mix him up. Besides I have spent thirty-five years developing my techniques and it takes awhile to teach. It is true though that I mostly only carry a small zip-lock with a few things to almost all my trips. What is important to know is how simple fishing can be, when you pare down to the essentials. Simply put, whatever you fish with it should be the same general size as the forage and presented in front of the fishes nose.
[signature]
OK, just for fun I have three lures I fish with over 90% of the time at Casitas. First is the Strike King 3x super stretchy in pearl or electric chicken, real name redfish special zulu, available at Cabelas, I mostly fish it with a 1/16th oz. jighead and swim it lowly, or I fish it as a surface lure with a light wire hook tucked in weedless. Second is a four (not four and a half!) inch sluggo in rainbow trout color also fished with a 1/16 oz jighead fished with six pound test. This is the original Magic Lure. Swim it slow and carry pliers 'cause they suck it down deep.These are available at Lunker City . com. The last is a five inch Tiki worm, which I fish wacky or wacky weedless with a 2/0 Mosquito hook. Mostly I use the Black and sparkle with pearl bottom, these are available at Wal-Mart Nationwide. I fish them slow with no weight just like a jig and pig. Can't work it too slow in fact many fish pick it up dead sticking, its that wonderful scent they use...Molopo...kind of like licorice but subtly different. Now please send me One Million dollars, Thanks in advance...
[signature]
...I knew you said you travled light but I had no idea how light.. [Smile]...

..where did you catch that beautiful halibut in the picture attached to this post??

MacFly
[signature]
Thanks for the thumbs up on that pic. That fish was the result of a three day fishing binge that, since it seems to happen often, is now called a "Fishfest". This particular time it was during a middle of the spring grunion run at the mouth of the Santa Ana river in 2006. The fish kept getting bigger and bigger and mixed in with the Halibut were Corbina, Yellowfin Croaker, and Spotted Bay Bass, all BIG. Heres some pics of my fishing buddy Bob with a Corbina during the same time. Notice the Super Stretchy in the Corbs mouth.
[signature]
Here are some pics of Casitas bass from my last two trips. The gentlemans' name is Bryn Martin, he used to run Irvine Lake. A fun fishing partner but he will never take a picture of your fish because he goes crazy trying to catch the next one.[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the info.

I called but I can't afford what guides are charging for a single, I'm just a poor fisherman so I may have to settle for my local lakes.

Anyone want to trade for fishing trips to Utah?
[signature]
Just go to Casitas, search around for the most expensive looking boats and start there.
[signature]
...those are some great pictures of some great looking fish..

MacFly
[signature]