Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Swap
Thanks for the participation and patience this year. Here are the flies I got and the patterns. I still need stories from the following people to post for contest

DryRod
MacFly 55

I need tying instructions from
DryRod (love the Silver Nymph, need the instructions)

Here is the break down. I felt really bad about postponing this so long, so I got everyone a six compartment flybox and labeled each one. Here is how they break down
1. Tabou Caddis, prince nymph
2. Silver Nymph
3. Beadhead Flashback Pheasant Tail
4. Sofa Pillow, Yong's Special
5. Irish Spring, Lil Black Sambo

Get me your stories and I will mail out the winners second set (trust me you want to get your stories in, these flies are great).

[font "Verdana"]The patterns for my flies are found here:[/font]
[font "Verdana"]Tabou: [url "http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/taboucaddis/"]http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/taboucaddis/[/url][/font]
[font "Verdana"]Prince: [url "http://hipwader.com/2002/prince-nymph-pattern"]http://hipwader.com/2002/prince-nymph-pattern[/url][/font]
[font "Verdana"][/font]
[font "Verdana"]BHFBPT. Pattern found here: [url "http://hipwader.com/2004/flash-back-pheasant-tail"]http://hipwader.com/2004/flash-back-pheasant-tail[/url][/font]
[font "Verdana"][/font]
[font "Verdana"]SofaPillow:[/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Hook – TMC 200R, Dia Riki 270 or other 3X long terrestrial hook, Size 14 tied and pictured, curved 3x long, larger sizes can be more effective- size 16 to 8.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Thread – back half = Griffiths 14/0 light colored such as light yellow, 8/0 will work fine[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Front half= Griffiths 14/0 black, 8/0 will work also.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Tail - bleached elk hair body hair[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Rib - Fine copper or gold wire[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Thorax –As tied; Orange Uni stretch floss and natural grizzly hackle, under sized. Other dubbing colors such as pumpkin, insect green, dark green, or a all black[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Wing – Bleached elk body hair[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Front Hackle – two brown Saddle hackles (may want 3 or 4 for larger sizes), wound at same time behind the thread thus pushing thread forward as you wrap forward. The dark side of the hackle is facing forward.[/font][/size]

Yong Special
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Hook: TMC 100, Std Dry Fly Size 20[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Also do in 18 to 26[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Thread: Black 8/0 or 14/0 (I used Griffiths 14/0)[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Body: Coats and Clark sewing thread #54A, Summer Brown,
(Get a smaller spool that you can put onto you bobbin tool.)[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Instructions:[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Start wrapping the C&C #54A at mid shank and wrap forward, with touching wraps, towards the eye. Stop about 1 hookeye distance from the eye. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Change direction and wrap back, with touching wraps, to the center of the hook shank. (With practice you may find you want to make a couple of overlapping layers of thread to achieve a more tapper body. [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Cut the tag end of the C&C thread.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Continue with the touching wraps to the beginning of the hook barb.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]With the bobbin hanging spin the bobbin so as to put many more twists into the C&C thread. [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Then with touch wraps wrap twisted thread to the eye and make one overhand knot to secure the C&C thread. Cut the thread. Note that you should now have a thready body with a slight taper and a segmented look.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Take the black tying thread. Tie it in and make a thread head. [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Whip finish[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]You may want to coat the head with head cement. I generally don’t as I fish this nymph close to the bottom and thus loose a lot of flies. But they are quick and easy to make. [/font][/size]

Irish Spring:
Hook: Scud 18 to 10
Thread: Black
Bead: Copper Tungsten Bead
Tag: Red Holographic tinsel
Rib: Thin Copper Wire
Body: Green Holographic Tinsel
Thorax: Peacock
Wing Case: Turkey Thin Skin
Gills: White Antron
Coated with Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails

Lil' Black Sambo
Hook: Scud 18 - 10
Thread: Black
Bead: White
Gills: White Antron
Rib: White Wire
Body: Black Holographic Tinsel
Coated with Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails
[signature]
... I thought I sent you my story a while back.. Ill resend as soon as I find it..

.. looks like a good variety of flies.. I cant wait to see them when they arrive...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Here is my recipe for the Silver Nymph:[/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]
· Hook: # 1710 Daiichi size 18/20 1XS Wet Nymph[/green][/size][/font][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]
· Thread: 6/0 Gudebrod black
· Head: Brass bead [ didn’t have any nickel color][/green][/size][/font][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]
· Rib: 5 gr. Uni-French silver wire[/green][/size][/font][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]
· Tail: Ringtail biot quill[/green][/size][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]
· Thorax: Peacock herl [/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3] Abdomen: Black dubbing?
[/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]· Finished abdomen with Hard Nails
[/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
[size 1][font "Poor Richard"][#008000]Here is my recipe for the Silver Nymph:[/#008000][/font]
[/size][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]· Hook: # 1710 Daiichi size 18/20 1XS Wet Nymph[/green][/size][/font][size 1]
[/size][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]· Thread: 6/0 Gudebrod black [/green][/size][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]· Head: Brass bead [ didn’t have any nickel color][/green][/size][/font][size 1]
[/size][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]· Rib: 5 gr. Uni-French silver wire[/green][/size][/font][size 1]
[/size][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]· Tail: Ringtail biot quill[/green][/size][/font][size 1]
[/size][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]· Thorax: Peacock herl[/green][/size][/font][size 1]
[/size][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]· Finished abdomen with Hard Nails[/green][/size][/font][size 1] [/size]
-----------
What is the abdomen dubbed/ made with?

I presume that Hard Nails is Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails which one gets at a grocery store or Drug Store type place in the Women's make section.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][blush]Can't remember if I just built up the abdomen with black thread or tie in a bit of Waspi Life Cycle dubbing. [Tongue] Your assumption is correct on the nail hardner.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
So, we have gone from 7 participants down to 5 participants?

or do you have some more to add?
[signature]
I only received flies from 5.

katghoti
[signature]