Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hit on the last day
Finaly hit a buck tonight. It wasn't a huge one but was a nice size deer.. ... pretty sure it was the same one that I passed up a couple weeks ago. It was a big spike horn with a pretty decent little spread.

I'd like to tell you it's hanging in the garage but nope not yet. I shot it about 15 minutes b4 dark. There was a nice blood trail where I shot and I did notice a pretty good limp seeing it going for the heavy cover underbrush on the side of the swamp. By the time I called in for re-enforcements AND A LIGHT (forgot mine) it was really dark. There was no way we were going to be able to find him in that thick stuff in the dark so we're going to go look in the morning. He shouldn't be to far. Hopefully I'll post pics tomorrow.
[signature]
hope ya get an early start on it, we are susposed to get a real mess of weather coming up for the next couple days, we are looking at half foot of snow, then hale then quarter inch of freezing rain then rains then back to snow....

any one for snow zoop?

I decided to not go out today, too much wind again today....

I stepped out today for a few to pick up a little insulation, all the snow was gone in the hood and in town except for my yard wich seems to be all white, my next door neighbors dont have one bit of snow...I think tomarow I will put the plow on the quad... no ice on my lake but the next lake down was fully ice capped...

will look forward to a few deer pics...

I might grab the bow and go out for a couple hours if the wind dies down tomarow after puttin the plow on.....
[signature]
Good luck on the hunt for buckey [Wink] !
[signature]
No luck. [unsure]

Found the blood trail....followed it into the thick stuff... found a spot where it looked like he took a break for a few minutes... not a huge blood pool but looked promising...... kept following it the trail ...twisting turning through the thick brush....... we followed for about 150-200 yards from the point where I shot. The blood trail kept getting weaker and weaker and then we finally lost it when he hit some grassy open field.

It was a hit but must not have gotten anything to vital. I was up on a ridge shooting down so I'm thinking I probably did hit him in the shoulder but with the angle it might have just went through the leg missing the chest.

Anyway... he's hurt and won't be going very far I'm sure. Hopefully grandpa or my brother in law will get him with the muzzleloader as I'm offically done for the year.
[signature]
Remarkable creatures aren't they ?
take a hit and keep on going when a person would fall over and drop to his knees if he steps on a tack , go figure [crazy] .
[signature]
Yes they are.

I helped my dad skin out a nice 11 point one year. It was a really cool non typical rack. We found not one but 2 different broadheads in it that had healed over.
[signature]
I processed a dozen for the family this year, lots of bow wounds healed right over... a couple gun shot wounds...

I will probably process a couple more during black powder season when the nephews get going again...

hope to do one of my own...

the snow we got last night was gone this afternoon. lots and lots of rain....
[signature]
Roosterfish told me at deercamp that a bowhunter from his county lost his life the weekend before the firearm opener .
the guy was feild dressing his buck and slit his arm wide open on an old brodhead imbedded in the deer , panicked , the guy tried to run for help and never made it .
[signature]
wow, I didnt hear that one, matter of fact I didnt hear of one deer hunting accident this year [crazy]

is there any news releases on the self inflicted fatal wound?
[signature]
No I haven't other than a guy shooting himself in the hand .
But from my area ;

[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#00e010]Gladwin County Man Arraigned on Multiple Game Violations [/#00e010][/font]
[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#00e010]Contact: [/#00e010][/font] [font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][black]Lt. Creig Grey 989-275-5151[/black][/font]
[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#00e010]Agency:[/#00e010][/font] [font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][black]Natural Resources[/black][/font]

[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][black]December 5, 2007
Michigan Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement officials today announced a 40-year-old Gladwin County man is scheduled to be arraigned today on multiple misdemeanor and felony counts in 80th District Court in Gladwin.
The suspect is believed to have been responsible for illegally shooting four large antlered deer from the wild in Clare and Midland counties; three privately owned large antlered deer within two game farms in Clare and Gladwin counties; and was in possession of a stolen firearm. Most of the deer were believed to have been killed this fall prior to the legal firearm season.
Michigan Conservation Officers Steve Lockwood, Joel Lundberg, Jason McColloch and Charles McPherson, working from Clare, Gladwin and Roscommon counties, pooled resources Sunday night and early Monday morning to piece this case together. Their investigation resulted from a citizen complaint during the recent firearm deer season. The three privately owned deer had a value estimated over $14,000 and felony larceny charges are anticipated regarding these deer. The firearm was stolen from a sporting goods store in Clare on or about the Nov. 15 opening day for the firearm deer season.
DNR Law Enforcement officials said citizen involvement often is crucial in developing cases like this.
"Citizens are the eyes and ears for conservation officers putting together the pieces of a complex puzzle like this," said Lt. Creig Grey, District Law Enforcement supervisor in Roscommon. "It is truly encouraging when people make a stand and report violations, in effect saying I'm not going to let this happen any more."
Any citizen who has information regarding a violation of Michigan's conservation laws is encouraged to call the DNR's Report All Poaching hotline at (800) 292-7800. Information can be provided anonymously.
The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources
for current and future generations.

[blue] Great Lakes, Great Times, Great Outdoors[/blue][/black][/font]
[signature]
$14,000.00 for 3 deer?

I'm in the wrong business. Screw farming corn and soybeans...Time to start a deer farm and quick !!!

ps... that dude is an idiot, hope he gets every fine and sentance possible.
[signature]
It is realy Sad seeing what this poor economy will drive some people to do..

I anit trying to justify his actions, but it dose make me wonder if the guy was looking for a place to stay for the winter... or the next year and a half..

shooting wild deer wouldnt have resulted in jail time.. I do wonder what he shot the deer with if he didnt have the gun untill nov 15th?

I guess to much info released he wont be able to get a fair jury trial...
[signature]
You grow those bucks and I'll come down in the fall and help you harvest them[cool] !

Ya know , that puts a venison burger right around $250.00 a pound [crazy] (after feild dressing ).

Last year we had a Amish farmer with over 100 deer hanging in his barn , he was going to be a who's who in the summer sausage market [sly] .
[signature]