Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Played Hooky Again
The weather was sooo nice yesterday, I just had to bail and go try the new toys. These are better suited to freshwater fishing than my older plastic duckys. These are shorter, wider and more stable than pure ocean Yaks. Could not keep the rainbows off the hook. Trolled crankbaits for four hours for endless salmonid action. Fish averaged 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. Kept two for the BBQ. Beautiful red meat. Water temp was 48 degrees, air temp was 60. Slight breezes and only two other boats. The new boats track extremely well, and slice through the water with very little effort. Barely had the glue dry on the new Scotty rod holders. I apologize for the low quality of the pics, as I used a low dollar digital and when I reduced the pixel width for posting they washed out. Hopefully you get the idea. I hope all of you had as fine a day as I did. Like I said before, the worst day fishing is better than the best day working. Trust me, this was not the worst day fishing. Hey Tincanfish, you ready?????????????

Good Fishing, Kayote

[Image: l34705.jpg]

[Image: l34707.jpg]

[Image: l34706.jpg]
[signature]
when you say trolling does that mean you were paddling? wow, you must have some endurance! 4 hrs!

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
Yeah, I was paddling for four hours. If you've ever tried these type of yaks, they require very little effort. It's a walk in the park. They are extremely efficient. It's not like canoeing at all. You can paddle these headlong into whitecaps. They are also very comfortable. It's just like sitting in a lounge chair in your living room. My buddy that turned me on to these will do up to 20 miles in a day on the ocean. The design technology on these beasts is amazing. My Scupper Pros are even more efficient than the Malibu Pro Explorers in the pics.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Looks like the lake is still down, but coming up. Are they filling it as aggressively as the other lakes in the area? I've noticed all of the smaller ones are full and the larger ones are on their way.
[signature]
Sound like you had fun. Where were you at?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Nice yaks but where are the motors?[/size][/font]
[signature]
It isn't fair to post pics like that while some of us are stuck at work. Looks like you had a good time. Hopefully I will be able to do the same over the weekend.

Jacob
[signature]
Motors?. We don't need no stinking motors. LMAO The motor is on my Crestliner. Trust me, I havn't gone barkeater.......................

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Hey Kayote, I'm sooooo ready to come out.[Smile]You should feel sorry for my wife, because all I'll going to talk about is yaks from now until I get can one.
Later Tincanfsh
[signature]
LMAO. The pursuit of tackle and craft never ends for those suffering from retarded adolescence. I sent you an email bro. See you saturday.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Oh great, more stuff I need to buy. Does anybody need a Llama rancher that wants 125K a year salary? If so I'm available.

IFG
[size 2]Hey Kayote, you've really piqued my interest with these kayaks. Why do you prefer the sit-on-tops verses the enclosed models? Seems you could use them even in the winter with a skirt. I've also seen shows where people attached mast, sail, and rudder to their ocean kayaks. Where's the best place to see these? I was too afraid to launch my big Lund at most local waters last year, and this would work perfectly. What'd those babies run you, if you don't mind my asking (PM me if you want).[/size]

[size 2]Thanks!![/size]
Must be nice to play hooky . Nice ride . Should I trade in one of my tubes ? Looks like a blast .
[signature]
It looks sleek and fast but...

I don't know how this works along the lines where you put down the paddle when the fish is on, and where do you keep all your equipment? I'm paranoid of losing my 200 dollar rod/reel in the water.

Plus it looks like if you lean over the side, it could tip over.

Does it have a place where you can attach your fishfinder sonar?

How about a minn kota trolling motor attached? Is that possible?

How about a tired and sore back along with your arms?

I would use it for leisurely purposes but as far as fishing goes, I'll stick to my float tube or my boat.
[signature]
Sounds like a lot of interest and questions on the Yaks. First, I wouldn't get rid of my tube. The Yaks have pretty specific applications but are a valuable new fishing tool. They are fantastic for trolling, going long distances over water to fish or drifting jigs or bait. They are also a ton of fun, and bring a new aspect to aquatic recreation. I personally don't like casting to structure from Yaks because you are constantly setting down the rod and adjusting position with the paddle. I do have friends that use them in the ocean and cast lures all day with them. I think it's just a matter of getting used to them. On the upside, you can carry a ton of gear and go miles in a day, unlike tubes. Like tubes, they require no registration, motor maintenance, are low cost and a lot of fun. They are much more than a toy though.

Now to address specific questions. For the paddle, I use a paddle leash so if I get bit I just drop it in the water and deal with business. You can also purchase paddle clips that you can jam the paddle into with one hand and your free to do your thing. You can keep a lot of equipment under the deck and it's protected from water and dropping overboard (see the huge hatch on the front, you can access it on the water). There is also a large access hatch between your legs (no pun intended). You can actually stow set up rods under the deck (long rods even), as many as you want literally. There is enough room below deck to store all your camping gear believe it or not. I put a small cooler with ice in there for fish. You can use rod leashes to keep gear onboard. My new boats have three rod holders. Two flushmounts behind the seat and a locking Scotty up front. I leash the rods in back, and lock in the one up front when casting or letting out line. If I did flip while casting, trust me I would not let go of my $300 rig. I made my rod leashes out of phone cord I got from the dollar store. They're really slick. you can get 25 feet of cord and use crimps and shrink tube to add clips and large swivels (send me a pm if interested in instructions). I don't add a leash to my rod up front, but you could if you're worried.

On some narrower models, flipping is a hazard for new paddlers. This goes away with experience. My old Scupper Pros are only 26 inches wide, and very flippable, but also very fast. My new Pro Explorers are 31 inches wide, and you would have to try to flip them. They are extremely stable, even for new paddlers.
[signature]
Oops, I hit the post button before I was done addressing all the questions. Sorry for the long posts.

Yes, you can easily attach fish finders. It is quite the garage art, involving small high amp batteries. Again, if you are seriously interseted in FF's, send me a pm and I'll give specific mounting instructions. The neat part is, you glue the puck to the inside floor. No holes, it shoots right through the hull. Slick.

There are people that attach electric trolling motors, and it's not that hard. The downside is, you have to register it if it has a motor. I also feel it kind of defeats the beauty of these craft. They are just plain fun to paddle.

I do not get tired or sore arms or butt. They are extremely efficient and just glide through the water with little effort. I did get a workout punching through waves in the Pacific and fighting ocean swells last summer. But our lakes are a piece of cake. They don't affect your back at all unless you have back problems anyway. They are literally like sitting in a recliner. You can fall asleep in them. Very comfortable. If you do have back problems, you can purchase high back seats with inflatable lumbar supports and extra seat cushions. You can paddle all day long, no kidding. I am not an athelete by any stretch of the imagination.

DennisW:

The Sit-On-Top types are self bailing. They have scupper holes which drain any water on the deck. I prefer these to the Sit-In style because if you flip, you simply fall out. The sit ins, you are somewhat strapped in and have to learn that upside down twist thing that whitewater yakkers use. You also sit in a puddle of water all day with sit inside models, even with the skirt.That really didn't appeal to me. The sit on tops also have deck space for getting out lures, lunch, messing with rods and gear. They just lend themselves to angling. The SOTs also have a comfortable high back seat unlike the sit ins, much more comfortable. You can also sit sideways and cast. Very stable. I will pm you some dealers and web links Dennis.

I won't give up my power boat just yet. I do however really love taking these Yaks out. They just add an entirely new aspect to my fishing. They can be carried on Yakima Racks on your truck or car. I take them places I wouldn't haul my boat because of rocky dusty roads and no ramps, etc. They are ideal for high lakes, Strawberry, small bass ponds, any trolling, and are practically indestructable. You can also use small anchors and drift chutes in the wind. Way cool. No, I'm not a dealer. I just really enjoy this new aspect to my angling arsenal. Best of all, they are reasonably priced. There is a lot of do it yourself info available for outfitting these beasts. Anyone that's curious, feel free to contact me through this board or a pm, and I'll be happy to provide any information you desire. Tincanfsh and I are supposed to chase trout in them this weekend. You can ask him monday how much fun it is (if the wind stays down). Again, I'm sorry for taking up so much space for this on the board. This explains my moniker (KAY-ote) LMAO

Good Fishing (and Yakking), Kayote
[signature]
Hey Guys,
I went out to the Basin this weekend and hooked up with Kayote and his yaks. It was a blast. I give them 2 thumbs up. The yaks were easy to paddle and with little effort to troll with.They were stable even when the water started to get some white caps. They had more then enough room for all the gear that I brought with me.I'm over 6'2" and 210lbs and the cock pit had penty of room for me to sit
in comfort and paddle. The only draw back was that I got a sore back because the seat was not setup for someone of my height.Im sold. [Smile]I will be getting one as I can.
[signature]