Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paddle Fish
I thougt this species would fall under this board,

did any one target these fishes this year?

havent heard much about them, Its a bit late to target them now... but I think they are kool lookin...
[signature]
You say they are cool looking but then you don't post a picture? I don't know about you man.... your loosin it. [Wink]

Here's a pic...and some info... They are pretty cool looking. No I've never caught one.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/8418/size/big/cat/500/ppuser/53223"][Image: 20030629-2339-MSP-Paddlefish.jpg][/url]

Paddle Fish
Paddlefish are well adapted to living in rivers. Paddlefish are known to occur from large rivers throughout much of the Mississippi Valley and adjacent Gulf slope drainages in North America. They frequent many types of riverine habitats but often seek out deeper, low current areas such as side channels, backwaters, oxbow and other river-lakes, and tailwaters below dams. Paddlefish are highly mobile and have been observed to move more than 2000 miles in a river system.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=31607;]
[signature]
Thats a neat looking fish...

But I'm reading that they're "filter feeders" (river gunk vaccumes?). How would you target one?
[signature]
It takes a special fishing skill and a heavy duty tackle to challenge this senior denizen of the river. Because paddlefish feed on microscopic organisms, they cannot be caught by conventional fishing methods. Live bait and lures are useless against these formidable foes...they must be snagged!
The necessary rigging is unique for river fishing: [ul] [li]several 6/0 to 10/0 treble hooks [li]40-80# test line [li]a heavy surf rod 8-12 feet long [li]a heavy-duty salt-water spinning reel of star-drag reel [li]4-6 oz. weights
[/li][/ul]
[signature]
I mentioned that they have to be snagged, they are often caught by accident using worm and cut fish off the bottom of the lake or river.[size 1] [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]

Despite the unconventional fishing methods, their prehistoric origins and rather homely appearance, paddlefish are an excellent tasting fish. They can be prepared as you would any other fish. A paddlefish can yield a large quantity of top-quality meat. The meat can be frozen, canned, poached, steamed, smoked, baked, or sliced into steaks and grilled. Enclosed below are a few recipes.

In recent years, paddlefish roe has been harvested, processed into caviar, and shipped from Glendive. Fisherman are encouraged to donate the roe to the Glendive Chamber of Commerce who, in turn, process the roe into world-class caviar. The proceeds from the venture are used to improve fisheries and recreation in Eastern Montana, as well as grants given to area organizations for historical and cultural projects. And here's the best part, if you donate your roe they will clean your paddlefish for you!

Paddlefish Recipes

Here are a few recipes to enjoy. If you are interested in the cookbook from which they came from, please enclose $5.00 plus a 6 x 9 self addressed stamped envelope to Glendive Chamber of Commerce & Agriculture, 313 S. Merrill Ave., Glendive, MT 59330.

Entree-
Royal Amandine Pan-fried Paddlefish

1 1/2 lb. Paddlefish streaks or fillets, cut into serving pieces not more than 1" thick.
1/4 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 C. cornmeal
1/2 C. butter
parsley

Wipe fish pieces dry with paper toweling. Roll pieces in a mixture of flower, cornmeal and salt. Melt butter in a shallow fry pan or electric skillet. Place Paddlefish pieces in the pan and cook slowly until brown on one side. Turn carefully and brown the other side. Cooking time will take 10 to 15 minutes. Remove pieces to a warm platter. Add lemon juice to the hot butter drippings, blend thoroughly and pour over Paddlefish Garnish with parsley flakes and serve at once with Sauce.

Sauce:1/2 C. Butter
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1.2 C. slivered almonds
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash of black pepper

Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add almonds and sauté over low heat to a delicate golden brown color. Then add remaining ingredients and shake pan over heat for two minutes. Serve with fried Paddlefish.
Variations: Toast the almonds before adding to melted butter. Do not sauté. Add remaining ingredients, blend and heat carefully.

Soup-
Paddlefish Stew

1 lb. raw cubed paddlefish
3 bacon slices, chopped
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 16-oz. can whole potatoes, drained and halved
1/8 tsp. thyme leaves
1/4 C. ketchup
1 tsp. Worcestershire
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 16-oz. can tomatoes

In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until just limp; Add onion and cook until onion is browned. Stir in potatoes, tomatoes with their liquid, ketchup, Worcestershire, pepper and thyme. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add fish and cook about 10 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, stirring often. Makes 4 servings.

Canned-
Plain Canned paddlefish

Pack cubed fish into jars.
Add: 1/2 tsp. salt for half-pints or 1 tsp. for pints.
Can according to proper canning methods for fish.

Paddlefish season runs from May 15th through June 30th every year. You will need a Montana fishing license and a special paddlefish tag. Information on tags is on the [url "http://fwp.state.mt.us/fishing/license/speciallicense.html"][#000080]Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks site[/#000080][/url]--[url "http://fwp.state.mt.us/fishing/license/speciallicense.html"][#000080]click here[/#000080][/url]. [/size] [center]For more information on paddlefishing or caviar contact [url "mailto:chamber@midrivers.com"][#000080]Kim Trangmoe [/#000080][/url][/center] [center][#000080][#000000][/#000000]
[/#000080]at:[/center] [center][/center]Glendive Chamber of Commerce
313 S. Merrill
Glendive, Montana 59330-0930
PHONE: (406)377-5601
FAX: (406)377-5602
[signature]
here is a pic caught by one of our members, and posted in the photo gallery march of this year.
[center][Image: Paddlefish2.JPG][/center] [center] [/center] [center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/member.php?uid=49805"]buffaloRock[/url] [/center]
[signature]
strange lookin' fish...
[signature]
[cool] We have them here but are illegal to posess. They are protected. They will scare the pants off you while you are fishing cause they will come up and splash around you. Talk about loud when they hit the water.
[signature]
That's kinda cool. We don't have paddle fish in our area (to my knowledge), but they are neat looking. From the looks of the picture, I bet they put up a pretty good fight. Mmmm, might have to add them to my "to catch" list. [Tongue]
[signature]