Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flies for ice fishing
I like to get some ideas for flies to tie for the ice fihing season. Not sure what water creatures are active under the ice.
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Hi there idahopanfish - I sent you an e-mail re this subject.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I was also wondering that same question. Not to sure on what to tie up?
[signature]
[black][size 3]This time of year, if you want to fish still water, I think that you are going to put the fly rod up for the year.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]TubeDude has posted some pictures of weighted or lead head jigs that he has tied for use on the ice. The flies look like they would be productive, and pretty much use the same materials as regular flies.[/size]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[size 3]The choice is either to fish the rivers, or change to heavy flies that will get to the bottom. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]River fishing in the winter can be very productive. the water flow is down, and the fish tend to hang in the deeper holes. Just probe the bottom with nymphs. If you have them in your area, whitefish provide great sport on a fly rod.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
saberfishes comments helped me to remember something on this.. a while back there was a fly fishing segment on the outdoor channel.. if I remember right it was of a group of guys fishing and I think it was in Utah.. but not sure..

..anyway.. it was dead of winter.. snow on the banks.. the river was flowing and these guys are out fly fishing.. like Saberfish said they were using nymphs (maybe a little heavier than usual) and they were hitting the deeper parts of the river.. and they were catching some beautiful fish..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
If I was going to fish through a little hole in the ice, I think I would put some weight on the end of the line, then put a tag a few inches up with a Prince and then another a foot or so up and use a Scud or an Ooie Gooie. I don't see why this wouldn't work, It is basically deep water nymphing. Even Copper Johns, Haresears, and PT. Try some small softhackles.
I think the trick will be putting weight on the line first to get it down quick and have tags for the flies so they move freely while raising and dropping.
[signature]
about mid winter the stone fly larva is is sizeable and so is the may fly larva.

I see a lot of guys do well on the gills on or near the bottom of the lakes down about 30 feet.

you dont want any thing bigger than a number #8 hook.. 10 or 12 is more the size of the larve during winter months...

helmagranit larve in the streams and shallow river beds... "think I got it right", Helmagranit, they have the heads on them with giagantic mandivals that realy latch on if they get a hold of you... they live under stones and logs in the river systems...

I have one buddie who ties on a tear drop jig and a fly 8 to ten inches above the tear drop, he dose just as well with one as he dose with the other...
[signature]
I ice fish the reservoirs out here and I just figured there had to be something floating around that I could use some home tied flies to try and coax them to bite.
[signature]
Well I used some flies yesterday for ice fishing a beadhead phesant tail and a red worm and both caught perch.
[signature]
...cool.. but no pictures?? [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
None of the flies but if you want to see the fishing and stuff go to either the Idaho board or the ice fishing section.
[signature]
...cool.. Ill do that..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I was fishing with a guy saturday, a double rig. fly on top and wax worm on the bottom, he caught a few doubles... "Gills"
[signature]
I used to use the latex flies in UT and ID for ice fishing. If you tie your own, you can use some of the glow material for the deeper lakes.[cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][Image: fish-on.gif]I thought that he said fried rice?[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
Long grain fried rice is actually good. It stays on the hook better.[cool]
[signature]