Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why ice fishing???
[cool][#0000ff]Brett Prettyman's Outdoor column in the Tribune yesterday [url "http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors/ci_7643939"](LINK TO ARTICLE)[/url] got me thinking about why I ice fish and what the big attraction is. Thought it might be a good topic for other folks to do some reminiscing and to explore the reasons for them to endure such wonderful abuse.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got my start ice fishing by dropping a worm in holes in the ice along a creek near my Idaho home when I was a kid. It was always a thrill when I felt a tap tap from a fish back under the ice. It gave the feeling that I was cheating nature by fishing in the "off season". In truth, it was probably against the law, since there were trout seasons in those days. But, I was just a fish crazy kid. What did I know (or care) about such stuff?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Until the early 80's, there was not much ice fishing in Utah. Yuba, Pelican Lake, Starvation and Willard were about the only places for a frustrated angler to fish in the winter. Prior to that time, there were still trout seasons and most potentially good ice fishing spots were closed to fishing from sometime in November to about the first of June. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think it was about 1982 when a group of us frustrated would be ice anglers...many with experience in other states...were able to get DWR to open Deer Creek for winter harvest of the then abundant perch population. Of course, there could be no keeping of the precious trout, but there were plenty of perch for those who wanted to fish. Thus was born both an increased interest in ice fishing and a greater exposure to the pleasures of both catching and eating perch. Up until then they were largely considered trash fish and few people kept and ate them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the early days of Utah ice fishing, only a handful of anglers had augers...and there were no power augers to be seen anywhere. Many newbie iceaholics just banged a hole in the ice with an axe or pry bar. No ice shelters, sleds or other things that we pretty much take for granted today.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have watched in awe as more and more Utah anglers have made the leap onto the ice. And, from what I hear, their reasons are many and varied. Some just have to have a regular fishing "fix" and if that has to be through a hole in the ice...so be it. Others go the other way and do not even fish much during the warmer months, prefering ice fishing to any other kind of fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't have to have a good reason to go ice fishing. I like all kinds of fishing and fishing through the ice is just another fun type of fishing. I suppose I do enjoy the special "hunting" aspects of ice fishing...searching out the right spot and then carefully setting up for the "shot"...etc. But, as much as anything ice fishing is a great way to enjoy the beautiful Utah winters and to harvest a few fish for the table at the same time. There is also the social aspect. Ice fishing is a lot more sociable pursuit than many kinds of open water angling. it is great to get a group oo the ice and to enjoy the often funny activity during a hot bite...or the fun conversations during a slow day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anybody else wanna share? What got you started ice fishing and why do you enjoy it?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I got into ice fishing with my family when I was a kid. (late 80's) I loved it from the 1st moment. While the rest of the kids were easily distracted by the snowy hill sides and sleds, I would sit patiently over a 6" hole in the ice with hopes of landing a bow or a cutt from Causey.

All of my family has since given up on the ice, but I still really enjoy it for many reasons. The social aspect is a very big reason. Every year since we were 10, HookJaw Brimhall and I have hit the ice. We've recruited several other friends to the sport too.

I also love to vertical jig. I like having such a controlled presentation... much like the presentation you can offer from a tube on a windless day.

I sometimes think that people think we (the ice fishing community) are crazy. HAHA. Can you blame them? Why on Earth would anyone want to sit over a small hole in the ice (that you had to drill) hoping to catching a fish that's all slimey and wet, in wind that's pushing people over, on ice that's covered in 8" of slush, in temps that freeze the snot in your nose when you breath in? (Sounds like a great time to me!) [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]What got me started was some arm twisting by an old long time BFT member ... PREDATOR. He did warn me several times that I would love it and be hooked forever. Every time he warned me of that, I dug my heals in deeper and would refuse to go.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]My first true time ice fishing was just last year where on Strawberry, I caught 26 nice trout through a funky hole in the ice. Yup ... HOOKED I was!

What keeps me ice fishing are things like the incredible change of scenery for the same area as two months prior. I find the snow covered flat land fascinating. The concept of walking or driving on water is intriguing. Unlike being in a boat, the space is unlimited. Being someone who is easily facinated by different types of gear, ice fishing certainly requires lots of different kinds of equipment. But most of all, the fish catching, just as in soft water months, is just the frosting on the cake. Ice fishing is just another great way to enjoy the outdoors.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
I'm also pretty new to ice fishing. It was only last year that I really got into it and got all the equipment. I like being able to vertical jig and not have to worry about drifting (hopefully). I love winter. This is really the only time of year that I intentionally fish for trout, although my favorite ice fishing is still Utah Lake. I'm still a little skittish about the ice though. My favorite thing about ice fishing is no bugs!
[signature]
I got into ice fishing just last year but have been fishing for many years. I never even thought about going in the cold and freezing. I just was reading one day last jan about all the fun everyone was having on the BFT site and decided one day that sounded like fun. I had never ever been ice fishing before and didn't know what to buy...So I did my best in picking stuff up that members had been talking about and there were just a few poles left at Sportsman's at that time. So I bought just a few things and went and have never looked back since. I have enjoyed the few times that I have gone. My wife does not share my excitement now that I can go year round. But hey I still love her anyway!

Keep your tips coming cause I sure can use them..

Thanks again for all your help
craig
[signature]
I started ice fishing years ago when I was just an ankle biter. I would go out with my uncle and fish all day in a rented smelt shack. We would drive in his truck out on the ice to the fish camp and rig up a bunch of hand lines off a closet rod spanned across the shack. We had a lantern and a wood stove and life was good. On many occasions we would even order pizza and have it delivered to the shack. All of the shacks had to have numbers on them like addresses for your home.

Since then and moving to many different states, I have continued the ice experience. I enjoy being outdoors and breathing in the fresh cool air. One of the largest draws is that for many years I have been stuck to the shore and could not reach the places where the fishing was productive. The hard deck allowed me the opportunity to venture out and fish places I could'nt get to as a shore chunker. I also like to get out with a large group of friends and have a laugh or two.

Nowaday's, with a bad back, it is harder for me and I prefer the boat and warmer temps. Dragging the gear out, hiking up and down steep shorelines, drilling holes, and cold temps really run me down quick. Ice fishing is not easy work even if you pack light. I plan to still do it but the number of trips is limited.
[signature]
Ice fishing. Just saying the words brings a Smile. I can still remember my first time out. Believe it or not I was only 5 at the time. I grew up in Afton, WY and the popular saying is we have 3 seasons, July, August, and winter. My dad took me out with him, finally I might add, to fish PaliSades by Alpine, WY. So for 30 years, ice fishing has been a major part of my winter weekend activity. Our neighbors and their kids would all get together nearly every weekend and head out. There would be around 6 people. We would fish with tip ups. At that time in Idaho, you could fish with as many tips ups as you could handle. We would usually fish with about 50. This leads me into the ice fishing hierarchy. 1st there is the driller. This is the top dog ice fishing. Next there is the baiter. Always a mad rush to get the tips ups baited. Next there is the setter. Setting out the lines at the proper depth and making sure the tip up will go off when bit. Then there is the lowly hole cleaner. This was my job for many years with the super strict instructions of keep a hold of the ice spoon and NEVER KICK SLUSH IN THE THE UNUSED HOLES. Well, learning the hard way always seems to stick with kids better as it did with me. I got bored and kicked some slush into a hole. Promptly there was a bite on a tip up and I went to go watch and stepped into the hole I covered. Ended up getting 1 leg wet. Had to sit by the fire to stay warm the rest of the day. I have also tried to pass on a little knowledge of ice fishing to my wifes little brothers. Told them the same thing I was told. DON'T KICK SLUSH INTO THE HOLES. Well, they did and the same wet legs happened, and they ended up spending the rest of the day in the truck. When the ice fishing season is almost as long as the open water season, you have to adapt. Helps to cure the winter blues, and makes for some good memorable times.
[signature]
I enjoy ice fishing for many of the same reasons that you stated. It is nice to be able to fish closer to other anglers ice fishing, than by any other method of fishing, without feeling crowded. I enjoy a small group of friends on the ice; however, I am there first and foremost to catch fish, and as a result I usually pass on the ice-fishing parties. It is nice not having to deal with a boat.

I have to admit that with the exception of a few (very few at that) perch at Pineview, my first several trips ice fishing were dismal failures, as far as fish catching goes. I went several times with a guy who thought that he knew how to ice fish, and unfortunately he didn't know much about it. I hung in there and eventually had the pleasure of fishing with some anglers who really knew how to ice fish. Utwalleye (Chuck) was one of my early teachers and it was great to finally learn what I needed to use to catch fish through the ice and the techniques to be successful.

My favorite method of fishing has become vertically jigging, and the beauty of ice fishing is that one is able to vertically jig from a totally stationary (well at least usually) platform. This allows one to use less weight and smaller and lighter rods, reels and tackle. There is just something exciting about seeing my spring bobber move slightly when getting a bite.

It has been fun over the years to accumulate the necessities of ice fishing (insulated boots, insulated coveralls, hand auger, power auger, ice chipper, ice shack, two sleds, three fish finders rigged for ice fishing, depth finder, Aqua-vu, countless rods & reels and enough tackle that I literally could fish the rest of my life without having to buy another item (however, it seems that I still make frequent trips to one of the tackle stores during ice season to buy several additional items). Now, if only I had a nice snowmobile to pull it all out on the ice!
[signature]
Wow, why ice fishing? Good question! Before I started I thought it was about the dumbest thing a person could do. It's my son' fault. He started ice fishing with his friend, and then began the long process of getting me started. First couple of trips were a bust. No proper clothes + no technique = no fish. (I was right these guys are crazy) Then we made a trip to the pumps and there was a guy pulling white bass out every drop. We tried it and caught a few. I was on my way. After that some fishing buddies taught me out how to find bottom, adjust my lure, and started having sucess. Since then it has been a blast!

Of all the different types of fishing, I enjoy fly fishing and ice fishing the most. Tubing is fun. Bank fishing occupies a couple of weekends a year. Trolling is just for people who like to drive their boat around and need a little entertainment while they drive. I find no thrill in trolling at all.

So back to the original question: Why ice fishing? I've thought about it for the past year or so and I think it boils down to one thing: THE HOOK SET. I love the set! It plays an important part in both fly and ice fishing. The strike indicator on my fly line and spring bobber on the end of my ice rod signal action, THE SET, a tightening line, and the fight is on. I thouroughly enjoy driving the steel home.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I have to! Under normal circumstances it would be maddness to sit on a bucket, in sub-zero temps, staring down an ice hole for hours on end just to catch a fish that I'm probably going to put back down the hole anyway.

Last of all a big thanks to all who have helped me with this obsessive hobby. I enjoy the ice more than anything I do all year.

IT'S THE HOOK SET!

Chester
[signature]
hey dude for me all you have to do is look at that video i put on youtube to see why i like ice fishing so much! it's a fine and pleasant missery to be out on the ice! [sly]
[signature]
Mark, I would have to agree with you that I believe what I enjoy most about ice fishing is the hookset. It is also what frustrates me the most, because I grew up chucking bait from the shore and full-arm hooksets were the norm. I have been fighting the tendency to jerk the entire arm when I get a bite vertically fishing, and as TudeDude will attest I still have a ways (probably a long ways) to go in overcoming that tendency.
[signature]
Why not?
[signature]
Growing up in Wisconsin, like many other northern states, ice fishing was pretty much all you had to do for 6 months of the year (yeah, I'm a fisherman and exagerate a bit).

Ice fishing seems to have its own charm, especially for kids (no matter their age or size). Something about being so close to that little bobber where you can see every detail of its float and movement, then watch it magically descent into the depths of the hole. Though I don't fish as often with a bobber/float, it still has some magic for me, and can be very effective at times.

It is also about the only time I'll fish for dinner, especially panfish - on the ice, then into the pan. About as good as it gets.

I still follow the KISS principle and have not bought into the electronic stuff, or even a gas auger or shelter. The latter because it just is generally not that cold here in Utah (again comparatively), and I like to be mobile.
[signature]
Does anyone recongize this type of ice auger? Be careful, dont date yourself [laugh]

[inline 43bc_1.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Watched the videos. Two thumbs up for the actors. The director still needs more experience. I suggest many more trips to practice your craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have fished in some spots where the water was shallow enough and clear enough that you could lie on the ice and watch the fish below you. Same thing. Really a learning experience. If nothing else, it teaches you that you don't see or feel all biters...and that even the best of sonars do not always tell THE WHOLE STORY.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Duhhhhh. A mack spoon?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I would never think of dating myself. I have too high of standards to go out with someone like me.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
All we ever had growing up. When sharpt it was a step above a spud, but can't hold a handle to todays screw type Mora and Lazer. I remember the spoon was a devil to sharpen to get enough bite, and if not sharp enough boy did you get apile of ice dust. Only redeming factor was perhaps the large chunk of ice in the middle that was easily picked from hole not requiring as extensive sieving.

Also, 4-5" hole was about max with those as I recall. Guess a small hole is still my preference (no jokes here. please).
[signature]
Ice Fishing is the best. Why? You don't have to put up with the power crowd and the sometimes inconsiderate people who are amongst them. I also like fishing through the ice because it allows me my favorite type of fishing: vertical jigging. (yes, TD got me started on that!). Plus, the entire cap is easily accessible.

I've only been a regular at ice fishing for the past couple of years, and my wife hates that I go out most every weekend during the season. Hey, it's my therapy. Many of you can relate. This year, there is a nice Bear Lake Mack with my name on it! [Wink]

The first time I ever tried ice fishing was back in the early 80's. Just a kid and not knowing what the heck I was doing, I ventured out on Utah Lake with a buddy of mine. He had an auger, I had an old fishing pole, and we were set. Thirty minutes later I was freezing my toes off and hating every minute of it. Since then, I've learned to dress for the occasion and how to actually fish through the ice.

I wish the Ice Season lasted a bit longer, I really do.

Bring it on!
[signature]
I ice fish because I can set a beer down and it gets colder.
[signature]
I started ice fishing in the winter of 2000-2001. I was up one night and saw Doug Miller up at Strawberry and was very intrigued. Have been addicted ever since. Like Brett said it is the "poor man's boat." My First fish ice fishing was a perch at Pineview.
[signature]
Cowboy Up!