Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
burbot
so do eny of you guys have any tips for a first timer on what tip ups to use and how to use them? I live in wyo and burbot have shown up in Flaming Gorge res were I live after the first of the yr we will be able to do up to 4 tip ups and 2 rods to help take some #'sburbot out of the lake there are so many and we have been able to catch them from the boat useing yammomoto glow jigs with sucker meat we arnt able to use live bait so minnows are out which would be ideal but we are cathing 50+ a night in just a few hrs.eny tips or tricks would be great I dont even know what type tip ups to get thanks for any help ASHLEY
[signature]
If your willing to spend the money, I'd say either buy Beaver Dam tip ups or the Frabill hardwood ones. They are very durable and have a hard time freezing up even in the coldest conditions. I used a crapppy 6 dollar first ice tip up this weekend and missed a few strikes the the spool froze stiff in the 10 degree weather which just comes to show its worth it to spend the extra buck.
[signature]
any thoughts about them round plastic one that cap the hole?

we dont tend to see temps like that till the end of january in south mich...

I see a lot of guys using them, I have a but who uses a home made, out of aluminum, I still use my Poleris plastic "H" modle....

granted I have to spend a lot of time opening the hole back up, about every hour or so... but it gives me something to do when I get a lul in the bite...

we are alowed two fishing units, what ever the combination... 2 rods or 2 tipups or the combination of one and the other.

I think I remember seeing cut pickled sucker meat chunks... I have used pickled shads. most of the bigger bait shops carry them... Cabela's for sure..
[signature]
I havent personally used the round tip ups but they do seem to do a good job of keeping the holes open. Especially dark ones on sunny days. This past Saturday I went out to a local lake with a friend and he was using round polar tipups with a telescopic flag, they seemed to work alright but dont take my word on those particular ones because I just dont know.
Where in Southern Michigan do you fish?
[signature]
Kent lake in kensington park about 42 miles west of detroit.

there we fish for walleye and crappie mostly, though the ice that is. in the summer we have carp bass gills suckers pike too...
[signature]
ive been using the round frabill tip-ups which cover the holes completely. over a typically 4 hour trip in 20-30deg weather, ive never had to re-open a hole.
[signature]
they are realy a great product..

I have never seen any one who has ever had to cut one out and re-open thier holes or leave them out over night...

my H style polar dose leave the hole open and dose allow it to freeze over, but it dose allow me to leave it out for 12 hours, even if the hole freezes over I can still cut it back out...

I probably wont change over to the fabrill style, but I too highly recomend them... and if I were to buy a new tip up that would be on the top of my list of options...

there is one other style of tipup on the top of my list is the slamer, one tug by a fish and the hook is set. not a good idea for pike, but for walleyes and salmon its the cats meow,
[signature]
yeah that would be nice.

if im not going to use the frabill, theres another little gem my buddy found that works wonders: the HT windlass tip up. it has a blade to automatically jig your lure/bait with even the lightest of wind. on a slow day i gaurantee its the only tip-up to get hit by a fish.
[signature]
dont think I had seen the one you are speaking of, I had seen plans for one that moved the line up and down, is that the one you are talking about..

I ordered 6 last year but they never seemed to get done, so I guess I will make one my self. doubt if it will be as nice as the store bought one, I am sure it might take me a bit O time to get the bugs out too... I aint out nothing, I was susposed to pay for them at the time of pick up....

I spent a couple hours this afternoon digging around scroungin for hardwear, aint much to a slamer,

I could build me a wind paddle for a tippin rod while I am at it.... they is pretty easy to make too, a small rod clamp or stiff rubber band to tie on a peice of plastic milk jug cut in to a baddle. a perfectly ballanced rod and any little breeze will bob the rod up and down...
[signature]
here is a picture for those who dont know what a slammer style tip up is...
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13596;][/center] [center]
[/center] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13595;][/center]
[signature]