Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rivers & Streams in SoCal.
[center][cool]Might be a repeat for some areas.[/center] [center] [/center]
San Luis Rey Creek is located near the town of Julian in San Diego Co. It begins at Lake Henshaw dam and flows downstream along Hwy. 76. There is a public campground approx. 3 miles downstream from the dam.Rainbow trout are stocked here from early Spring through Summer by the DFG. They are usually stocked from the dam, downstream to the campground.

All American Canal runs parralell with the Mexican border just South of Int. 8 betweem hwy 111 and the Colorado River. From Int. 8, just bout any dirt road going South will take you to the Canal. There are also hundreds of smaller Canals that feed off of this one. It's operated by the Imperial Irrigation District.Channel and BIG Flathead Catfish are the main target here. There are also some Striped and Largemouth Bass, Panfish and Huge Carp here. Lot's off Bullfrogs too if you enjoy frog gigging. There are hundreds of miles of smaller canals that run off the main canal. All offer good fishing. Even the smallest trickle can have Big Catfish hiding in the deep-pooled "drops".

San Bernardino, Riverside and Orange Counties
Cleghorn Creek is located near the city of San Bernardino. Take I-15 North to Hwy 138, which is just past the town of Cajon. Take Hwy 138 East approx. 8 miles to Silverwood State Recreation offramp. The offramp crosses Cleghorn Creek and comes to a State Recreation road which parallels Cleghorn Creek.
Rainbow trout are stocked here during the Winter, Spring, and Summer months by the DFG.

Colorado River-Needles area is located on the border between California and Arizona. From Los Angeles take I-15 East to 1-40 East. There are numerous camping and boating facilities located on the river at Needles.
Rainbow trout are stocked here from Winter through Spring by the DFG. They are usually planted upstream from Topock Bridge below Needles. There are also striped and largemouth bass, panfish, catfish and carp taken here. When fishing from a boat, make sure you have the proper Arizona Enhancement sticker on you CA fishing license.
Fuller-Mill Creek is located near the city of Banning in Riverside Co. From I-10 exit Hwy 238 (Banning-Idyllwild Road) and go south into the mountains to Fuller-Mill campground.
Rainbow trout are stocked here during the Spring and early Summer months by the DFG.
Lytle Creek is located near the city of San Bernardino off Int. 15. From Int. 15, take Sierra Ave. exit and head NW into the mountains. Turns into Lytle Creek Rd. Continue past the town of Scotland to the North Fork. To go to the Middle Fork, turn west on first dirt road past Camp Bonita Road.
Camping and picnicing is permitted at the Applewhite Campground area. There are also some under-developed campsites along the Middle and South Forks. For more information, please visit Lytle Creek info.
Rainbow trout are stocked here during the Spring and Fall months by the DFG. The stockings take place in the North Fork at the Applewhite campground area and below the middle fork juncture. The Middle Fork is planted from Lytle Creek Rd., upstream 1-2 miles.

Mill Creek
Mill Creek is located in the beautiful San Bernadino mountains, near the city of Redlands. From I-10 at Redlands exit on Orange St. and go North to Lugonia St. Turn Right on Lugonia, it turns into Montone and then turns into Hwy 38 into the mountains towards Big Bear. Veer right on Valley of the Falls Dr. towards Forest Falls.
The DFG has halted all rainbow trout plants at Mill Creek due to the endangered mountain yellow-legged frog which lives here. There are some wild trout still in the creek.
Santa Ana River is located is located in the beautiful San Bernadino mountains, near the city of Redlands. From I-10 at Redlands exit on Orange St. and go North to Lugonia St. Turn Right on Lugonia, it turns into Montone and then turns into Hwy 38 into the mountains towards Big Bear. Travel approx. 25 miles until you pass Jenks Lake Rd.-W. Turn left on the next road which is Glass Rd. Turns into Seven Oaks Rd. The South fork crosses Hwy 38 and continues along Seven Oaks road to the main river.

South Fork Bridge at Hwy. 38
General Info:
This creek is part of the San Bernardino National Forest. You will need to purchase a National Forest Adventure Pass ($5) from the ranger station at Barton Flats if you want to park your vehicle. There are numerous campgrounds and hiking trails throughout the area.
Rainbow trout are stocked here from Spring through late Fall by the DFG. The stockings usually take place from Seven Oaks bridge upstream about 7 miles to the South Fork Bridge on Highway 38. There are also wild rainbow and brown and brook trout here year-round.

San Jacinto Creek is located near the city of Banning in Riverside Co. From I-10 turn south on Highway 243 (Banning-Idyllwild Rd.). Go 25 miles to Mt. San Jacinto State Park. Turn left into the park to Dark Canyon campground. Turn left, go approx. 3 miles to the creek.
Rainbow trout are stocked here from Spring through Summer by the DFG.
Santa Margarita River is located in south-western Riverside Co., near the town of Fallbrook. Most of the land surrounding the river is either privately owned, or part of the Camp Pendelton Marine base, where it flows into the ocean. Public access is allowed approx. 10 miles north of Fallbrook, off of De Luz Rd. From Fallbrook, take De Luz Rd. north to the split at Sandia Creek Dr. Parking is allowed on the north side of De Luz Road immediately west of the intersection of De Luz Road and Sandia Creek Drive, at what appears to be an old corral. Please visit Santa Margarita River info. for more information
Due to the discovery of steelhead, an endangered fish in So. Cal. waters, the DFG no longer stocks this river with rainbow trout. However, there are wild rainbow and brown trout in this river, along with the native steelhead, which is very rarely sighted.

Trabuco Creek is located off I-5 in Orange County. From Interstate 5 exit El Toro Road and go north 7 miles. Veer right on Live Oak Canyon Road, then left on Trabuco Canyon Road past O'Neill Park.
Rainbow trout are stocked here during the spring months by the DFG. The stockings usually take place approx. 2.5 miles above O'Neill Park. There are also wild rainbow and brown trout here year-round.
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
San Luis Obispo, Kern, Santa Barbara, Ventura and Los Angeles Counties
Big Rock Creek lies in the Angeles National Forest on the north side of the San Gabriel Mountains. It is part of the Tujunga Res. system. From I-5 take the Antelope Valley frwy. (14) east to Pearblossom hwy. Continue east on Pearblossom to Longview and go south. Veer left to Valyermo and continue south for 5 miles.
The DFG has halted all rainbow trout plants at Big Rock Creek due to the endangered mountain yellow-legged frog which lives here. There are some wild trout still in the creek.
Big Tujunga Creek lies in the Angeles National Forest and is part of the Tujunga Res. system. To reach the lower section, take I-5 to the Glendale frwy. (2) and continue north to I-210. Travel north on the 210 to Sunland. Exit Foothill blvd. and go east to Mount Gleason ave. Continue north to the creek.
The upper section of Big Tujunga creek may be reached by taking I-5 to the Glendale frwy. (2) north. Continue north into the mountains and veer left at Clear Creek Station. Continue north on Angeles Forest hwy. to just past Monte Cristo Station and watch for a sign on the right marking the turnoff to Upper Big Tujunga Canyon rd. Go south to old Wickiup Camp.
As long as there is enough water flowing, trout are stocked here by the DFG in both upper and lower sections of the creek. The lower section is stocked at most public access points from early spring through early summer. The upper section is also stocked in the vicinity of old Wickiup Camp during the spring and early summer.
Boquet Canyon Creek is located approx. 30 miles north of Los Angeles. Near the city of Santa Clarita. From I-5 exit Valencia Blvd. East to Boquet Canyon Rd. Travel N. on Boquet Canyon Rd. to the creek and on up to the reservior.
As long as there is enough water flow to support them, rainbow trout are stocked here by the DFG from late Spring through Summer. The plants start from Boquet Reservoir downstream approx. 9 miles to Texas Canyon.
This is a very small creek with some portions as narrow as 3 feet across at times. For this reason, easy limits are common, but it also gets fished-out quickly. The best time to go is within 3-4 days after a DFG plant.
Little Rock Creek is located near the city of Palmdale in L.A. Co. It flows into Little Rock Res. From Hwy. 14, take 138 east through Palmdale to Chesboro Rd. Turn right (South) on Chesboro past Little Rock Res.
The DFG has halted all rainbow trout plants at Little Rock Creek due to the endangered mountain yellow-legged frog which lives here. There are some wild trout still in the creek.
Lower Kern River begins at Lake Isabella and travels down Kern Canyon to the city of Bakersfield in Kern County. From I-5 take the 99 North to Bakersfield. then take the 178 East to the river.
The river is a major source of water supply for the farming community of Bakersfield. There are numerous campsites and picnic areas located along the river. It is used by many kayakers and white-water rafting tours. This section of the river is very steep and at times the water flow can be very fast. Use extra caution when visiting here
Upper Piru Creek is located in Ventura Co., above Lake Piru. To access it you need to park at the lake and hike approx. 2 miles to the creek.
Piru Creek - Frenchman's Flat is located in the Los Padres National Forest near the town of Castaic. From Castaic, take I-5 north approx. 7.5 miles to Templin Highway turnoff. Follow old Highway 99 west and north, about 5 miles to Piru Creek at Frenchman's Flat.
Rainbow trout are stocked at Frenchman's Flat by the DFG during late Summer through Spring. The upper creek holds a decent population of wild rainbow and brown trout.

San Gabriel River is located in Los Angeles County near the city of Azusa, CA. From Int. 210. Take hwy. 39 (Azusa Av.) exit North into the canyon. Once you pass the second reservior you can turn Left to the West and North Forks or Right to the East Fork. The word "amazing" would be appropriate to describe this little river. Once given up as a lost proposition, the West Fork of the San Gabriel has been revived into a fine wild trout water.
The river is open year round. Fishing is free as long as you have a valid Fishing License and a $5 Forest Adventure Pass to park your vehicle. (available at the ranger stations) Camping is available at several campsites on the East Fork.
Trout is the main action here although there are some Large and Smallmouth bass and Panfish here also. The DFG stocks both East and West forks regularly as long as there is enough volume of water moving thru. There are some Wild Trout within short hiking distance on the West fork.

West Fork San Gabriel River is located in the San Gabriel Mountains of Los Angeles County. The West Fork is a highly productive stream that can be fished all year. The only trout species found in the river are rainbow trout . Fishing can be great in the winter, as well as providing a cool refuge from the heat in the valley. The catch-and-release section lies below Cogswell Resevoir which can provide cool water flows during the summer months. At certain times of the year, sediment-laden releases from the reservoir cause muddy stream conditions. The West Fork San Gabriel is important because it supports native nongame fishes as well, including the arroyo chub, speckled dace, and the Santa Ana sucker, recently listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act.
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font] [left] [/left]
[signature]
Hey dryrod.Now that`s what i`m talking about.Thanks for all the info.I hope to be up at santa ana river soon.
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Glad that we could help you out. Perhaps when the weather cools off about 20 or more ºs will I then head out with a fly swatter or two.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
THANK YOU SO MUCH
[signature]