Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am. Falls Res. Ice conditions
I don't really have a fishing report but for information, the entire American Falls Reservoir is now frozen. The temperatures went sub zero Tuesday (12/11/07) morning so that was probably when it happened. I know the fishing there is probably pretty lousy since it was essentially drained this year but thought the information might help people gage ice conditions elsewhere. There was no evidence of anybody going out on A.F. except in the far back bay at Aberdeen and even there some open water spots were looking kind of spooky.

FR
[signature]
Thanks for the update. I think there are still enough fish in there that I might try American Falls for a couple hours sometime this winter.
[signature]
Brian,

You are correct as usual. I went back there after receiving a tip from another customer while shopping at a local sporting goods store. The ice was a little spooky but will be safe by the time you read this. I caught about 112 perch in eight hours of fishing with 15 meeting my criteria (about 8") for keepers and a couple around the 10" mark (jumbos). Had I set my criteria at 7.5" , I fear that I would still be cleaning.

All this in a spot that was dry a few weeks back. Go figure.

FR
[signature]
i know this is a little off subject but did you see many geese land on the ice while you were up there?
[signature]
Labsrule,

I have observed unusual goose behavior with respect to the ice this year. I have not seen where any major populations are hanging out. My hunch is that they are about midway and on the reservation side. Whether there is open water there where the Portneuf dumps in would be the question. I saw a small group toward the dam as I came by Saturday that picked up and headed south as the cold wind seem to bother them. I think they prefer 33 F water over ice - especially if their feet try to stick.

One more thing for everyone. I reported what I believed to be ice conditions becoming safe as the weather forecast indicated below freezing this week. However, the forecast was not accurate and there has been considerable thawing temperatures at elevations around 4450 such as American Falls Reservoir. I have not checked higher elevations but am personally going to put myself on high alert if and when I venture out. The forecast says it will be cold this weekend but sometimes that only puts enough of a layer down to fool you.....

FR
[signature]
I'm sure your right that the ice at American Falls is questionable at best. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a report of someone going for a swim.

I saw several large flocks of geese in fields on the reservation a couple days ago. I use to hunt ducks and geese often but haven't bought a waterfowl stamp for a 3 years becaus I don't like to eat them as much as I like to hunt them. If you scout what fields they are landing in and can get permision you shouldn't have too much trouble limiting out on geese in the American Falls area.
[signature]
They say if you soak the ducks or geese in milk for 24 -48 hrs it make them very enjoyable to eat.
[signature]