Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowrance X67c Ice Machine Modified
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Well, I decided to go back to the drawing board and build up a third fish finder for ice fishing. I am very pleased with what I have come up with on this version. I haven’t had an opportunity to give it a try just yet but I think it will be the cat’s meow.

On the past two versions that I rigged up for ice fishing, I had modified units designed for boat transoms. With those, there were three major problems that always bothered me: (1st) Because the transducers were designed for a boat mount, I had to connect them to a “T” shaped PVC device to set in the ice hole. And then, I had trouble getting the ducer to hang straight down to “look” at the fishing area I wanted to see. It seemed to always hang at some other angle not necessarily showing me my jig. (2nd) The PVC parts took up way to much space in the ammo box that I used to transport the unit. (3rd) Again, because those first two units we for boats, the cabling was very long and again, took up way too much space in my ammo box.

This new unit, the [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=&id=0022428016347a&navCount=0&podId=0022428&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UH&rid=&parentType=&indexId=&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=N/A&cm_pla=N/A&cm_ite=netcon&hasJS=true"]Lowrance X67c Ice Machine[/url], I got from Cabella’s. But I was very disappointed in the soft transport case that it came with. I junked the case and put it all in one of those nice strong plastic ammo cases you get from Sportsman’s. And, I had to modify the float unit that came with it. I had to put some threads, washer, and nut on the end to hold the styrofoam float unit from coming off.

The ammo case holds the whole system PLUS an EXTRA battery! Now, when fishing and the battery goes low, just switch the power cable over to the backup battery and I’m operating once again. [/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]

Here is what it looks like when you open the case before you set it up:[/#002850][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]

[inline Opened-up-400.jpg]

[/#002850][/size][/font]
The system includes two gel cell batteries, transducer and cable, styrafoam float unit, head mount, mounting screws, screw driver, ammo case, carabineer (to hold the ammo box closed in transit), and the X67c color head. Notice the padded storage area. Also, I wrap the head in additional padding as the sled ride out the fishing hole can be pretty bumpy:[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][inline Parts-all-laid-out-400.jpg]
[/#002850][/size][/font]

Here is a side view of the system ready to fish. Notice how the float unit attaches to the bell shaped transducer. Not only does this system allow the sonar to float vertical, but the bell transducer can swivel to stay in a vertical position when ice freezes around the styrafoam:[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][inline Ready-to-fish-side-400.jpg]

Here is a front view of it ready to fish:

[inline Ready-to-fish-front-400.jpg]

Here it is all packaged up ready to transport. The dimensions of the inside of the box is just 12” x 6” x 6”:

[inline Ready-to-go-400.jpg]

Well, anyway, I’m pretty excited about giving it a try this winter.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
I also have not been impressed with the flimsy canvas-type case that Lowrance sells. It looks like I need to look into one of those ammo cases. Did it come with the pre-drilled hole in the top, or did you have to add that?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]No, I drilled the hole and put the grommet in.
[signature]
Where does one purchase grommets?
[signature]
Nice job Ralph, That looks like a first class outfit. You gave me something to think about.

AFDan52
[signature]
Looks great. Now add a micro RAM mount so you can get rid of the screws and screwdrivers, and you'll have the ultimate unit! Screws and screwdrivers at 6:30 AM when it it -16 degree's are not fun! Three twists with the RAM mount and you'll be good to go, even with gloves on.

You probably already know this... but some may not.... Remember to protect your fishfinder screen from freezing while transporting it by putting a couple of hand warmers in the ammo case. This will also keep the batteries warm and they will function better. Once you have the unit set up and running make sure you have the back light on the screen too keep it from freezing. LCD screens will freeze in subzero temps.

Thanks for sharing the sweet new finder rig. Can you take a close up of how you attached the styrofoam float to the transducer? Thanks!
[signature]
[#280050]Yes, I would like to see a close up of the transducer hook up also.....I have basically the same thing mounted the same way on the box, but my transducer doesn't want to stay vertical.[/#280050]
[signature]
Ralph you should really think about the ram mount. it also puts the finder sittion alittle higher easyer to see.
[inline findersetup.jpg]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Kent ... I think I got my grommets at Home Depot in the small electrical parts section. But I suspect that a better selection can be found at an electrical supply house.

Big Cat ... I had not even thought of a Ram mount ... fantastic idea ... fewer parts and much easier. And, as Petty4life mentioned, it would put the screen up a little higher and easier to see.

Hand warmers around the screen is a great idea and keeping the back light on too to keep the LCD safer from freezing and quicker responding.

Here is a pic of the styrofoam float and the rod that I had to use a die to put threads on it. I can’t for the life of me understand why it came without threads, nut, and big washer. I also put a couple drops of Locktite on the nut and washer:[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][inline Threaded-and-washer-400.jpg] [/#002850][/size][/font]

This is a picture of the bottom end of the float before the bell transducer is attached. [/#002850][/size][/font]
[inline Without-ducer-400.jpg]

This is the bell shaped transducer. Much better than the skimmer style used on boat transoms.

[inline Bell-ducer-400.jpg]

This is the transducer attached to the float. It is designed to swivel to stay verticle.

[inline "Ducer-and-float 400.jpg"]

This picture shows the transducer float assembly ready to be connected to the X67c head and 12 v battery.

[inline Ducer-cable-float-400.jpg]

Speaking of battery, boy, those two 12 volt gel cell batteries fit PERFECTLY into the ammo case.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
Are you sure that the cable wasn't meant to run through the float? On Vexilars this is the way they work, with an adjustable stop to adjust how far down the transducer hangs. It is helpful to be able to adjust the transducer to hang at or just below the surface of the ice. This is especially helpful when the ice gets a couple of feet, or more thick.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Good point Kent. I don't know. That may be why the transducer has such a narow cone angle (20 degrees) ... so that it can look down without seeing the sides of the ice hole before the cone widens out.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Well done, "Coot": It looks like a fair amount of thaught and time went into this system, and the out come is great![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3] Also, a ton of fantastic info and comments by all:: So when does the true hard water test come? It looks like a real gem!![/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3] Good Job: [Smile][/size][/font]
[signature]
looks good. the guys are right screws? no fun. i have 2 ram mounts in mine. i used a plano takle box a few mods. 1 ram fish finder the other ifinder gps. insted of screws hevy zip ties. work great. i also drilled holes to mount filet knife to inside top with some peaces of bungie cords to keep gloves glasses and other litle stuff inside the lid. maybee the wife will assist me with some pic,s.
[signature]
Here is how a Vexilar Transducer looks -- couldn't be simpler. It is the same way that I rigged my Lowrance transducer (I even purchased a Vexilar float -- which is a little confusing, but hey the fish don't mind and it works great).

[inline "transducer_tb0051_400px[1].jpg"]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]"Couldn't be simpler" ... You got that right Kent. Now there is an infinate number of pivot points to keep it vertical.

Question: Is the Lowrance transducer you speek of a bell shaped one or is it skimmer style?
[signature]
Has anyone tried to use a skimmer style transducer with a float like that. I suppose it would work if you could get it to hang straight... anyone???

Kent, is the foam float hollow, or pretty solid with only enough space for the wire to go through?

How does the little black ball thing work (snug fit, spring release, etc). I know you can move it up and down to change the depth of the ducer but how do you secure it at a certain spot. I'm getting some idea's of how I might be able to rig my skimmer to do it.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#002850]""Couldn't be simpler" ... You got that right Kent. Now there is an infinate number of pivot points to keep it vertical." [#800080]Sorry Ralph, but I don't want an infinite number of pivot points, I want gravity to self-align mine instantly and perfectly at the right depth every time I drop it down the hole.[/#800080][/#002850][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800080][/#800080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#002850]"Question: Is the Lowrance transducer you speek of a bell shaped one or is it skimmer style?" [#800080]Bell shaped one meant for ice fishing.[/#800080] [/#002850][/font]
[signature]
[size 1][black][size 2]"Has anyone tried to use a skimmer style transducer with a float like that. I suppose it would work if you could get it to hang straight..." [#800080]It would work fine if one could get it to hang straight; however, they are not designed to hang straight, and that is why they require something rigid (such as a frame made out of PVC) to attach to.[/#800080][/size][/black] [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[black]"Kent, is the foam float hollow, or pretty solid with only enough space for the wire to go through?" [/black][#800080]It has a narrow slice on one side that one slides the cable through, and then in the center it has a small hole that allows room for the cable to slide through.[/#800080]
[#800080][/#800080]
[black]"How does the little black ball thing work (snug fit, spring release, etc). I know you can move it up and down to change the depth of the ducer but how do you secure it at a certain spot." [/black][#800080]When it is pushed down into the float it clamps onto the cable and keeps the cable from sliding. Over time the cable may slip a little and require the stop to be slid back where it was originally set. Here is a picture of two stoppers, the end with the loop on it is pushed into the float.[/#800080]

[inline Stoppers.jpg]
[#800080]
Here is a link where one can purchase floats and stoppers directly from Vexilar.

[url "http://www.vexilar.com/pages/support/support_parts.html"]Vexilar link[/url]
[/#800080]
[signature]
Ditto on the RAM mount. That is all!

Justin
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]So Kent, my next question is; Can one purchase a bell shaped transducer for any (or most) Lowrance sonar?

Also, I wouldn't want to use your setup on my transducer and cable simply because the weight of the ducer might cause premature breakage in the cable. I think that is the reason for the rod support hole through my ducer.

Hey ... that just gave me an idea ... instead of the metal float rod through my ducer's hole, put a smal rope (or large string) through it and then use the Vexlar system you showed connected to the string so that there is no stress on the ducer cable. That way I could achieve the same depth and verticality that you are but with my ducer. Hummmm ....
[signature]