Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Braid or Mono? Deep water fishing..........
For many years, I was skeptical about the advantages of using Braid fishing line over Mono. My experiance with braid has led me to the conclusion that it's unique qualities make it good for some fishing, and bad for others. It's very effective for small game freshwater fishing like Large mouth bass and crappie. One thing I wouldn't do with braid is troll for fish like King Mackeral or Tuna, unless I had a long top shot of mono in front of the braid. I've also found Braid to be superior when used for targeting deep water species like Grouper and snapper, in water in excess of 80' deep. I use pretty heavy line when I target those species, it's a must. And using braid, I can use a much smaller reel and still have the line compacity I need. Also, the hook sets are always firm and I feel like I have more leverage when dragging those large reef fish out of the rocks. It also seems to have a lot less "drag" in the water. In other words, it much easier to get the bait on the spot with out the current effecting the drop.

I wanted to see what the opinions of everyone else was on braid line for bottom fishing, and what tactics you use.
[signature]
I am a little simpler I guess I use 8 lb mono for freshwater bass crappie trout etc. I use braid for freshwater catfish. I use braid for pretty much all saltwater just changing the leader to fit the species.
[signature]
I love the sensitivity of the braided line in deep water fishing. It works just as well in shallow water.

We have a few species on the West coast that you cannot catch if you are only waiting for a sizeable tug on the line. With the advantage of braided line, you can feel the light tick on the line and therefore put a gentle tug on the Circle hook and bring a nice fish up to full color.[cool]
[signature]
Braided more feel. Flouro top on silk line.No trolling. It works good in deeper water, real sensitive.
[signature]