Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishing fatigue
Hey guys-

I went out yesterday afternoon on the Provo River ( caught 4 browns on a gold spinner) and remembered something I've forgotten about. Fishing fatigue. You know that feeling you get about an hour after you get home from a day of fishing out in the sun? Even if you had a hat on, used sunscreen, and drank plenty of water, you still just feel like you got run over.

Is it just me or do you guys experience this too? You get home from a relaxing day of fishing, and you feel like you should be rejuvinated, but instead want to just go to bed you feel so cooked? or am i just a wus? [crazy]

Anyway, has anybody done anything that minimized this?

senkonate
[signature]
[crazy]
Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water. Stay away from carbonated beverages while you're fishin'. They don't help hydrate you as well as plain ol' water.

It also helps to stay in shape. Make it a point to fish at least three times a week. Start slowly, by fishin' once a week. Work your way up to twice a week only when you can fish 'til dawn and still put 8 hours in at work. If you can keep up with the "honey-dews" and fish twice a week, you are ready to try three times a week.

As with any exercise program, consult your doctor before you begin. It might be beneficial to consult a divorce lawyer too!

Fishrmn
Tube Dude has a great alternative. Get the wife fishing so much that she'll take you out on the water[Smile].

ES
[signature]
If you are like me, you tell yourself everytime that next time you go fishing early in the morning, that you are going to get to bed early the night before. I've yet to succeed in getting to bed early. Then when I get to bed I start thinking about how great the fishing is going to be, and toss and turn for a long time before falling asleep. I always end up with the usual sliced fingers from hooks and the teeth of fish, but I recently actually cracked a rib by bending over the side of my boat to wash my hands, without first noticing that there was a protusion sticking up from the boat! It takes me a good 1/2 of a day for my body to quit having the rocking feeling (from the boat) after I get home. The trials that we put ourselves through to go fishing!
[signature]
[cool]I still remember a late March walleye fishing excursion on Willard Bay, with the late Greg Jonas (one of my favorite fishing companions and walleye mentors). We had fished until almost midnight, the night before, caught a few hours sleep and then were back out again at daybreak. We were casting from the rocks near the light pole on the far west side of Willard, and a blustery wind started throwing cold, wet snow at us too.

Fortunately, we both had hooded raingear over warm clothing, so with the wind at our backs, we could still cast and retrieve. At one point, we both glanced up from our fishing at looked at each other. We started laughing as we noted that we both had a couple of inches of wind-driven snow sticking to our backs.

One of us made the comment "Crazy golfers". And the other said something like "You can't beat fun." Don't remember who said which, but that scenario has always remained in my memory of a good example of the tortures we endure as fishermen...just to have fun.

Mr. Scud makes a good point. Tube Babe is a dedicated die-hard float-tubin' fisherperson. And, she is pretty darned good at it. The truth of the matter is that there are more than a few trips where she has insisted we go fishing, in spite of any silly excuses I can come up with. I think I much prefer things this way than having to fight through the list of "Honey-do's" that some of my fishing companions must face.

The motto around our place is "Never put off 'til tomorrow what you can postpone indefinitely...while you go fishing."

But, hey Nate. I got news for ya. That fishing fatigue stuff is universal. It's part of the whole "download" thing that happens when you go fishing. I theorize that it is part of some divine plan to help us fishermen cope with the stresses of life. I call it a "brain broom". It may be mostly psychological, but when you have had a good day on the water, all the stress and garbage in your life just seems to melt away. It takes awhile to replenish the bad with more good stuff. Get a few hours of restful sleep and you're good to go again.

A quote from a doctor friend "You can fish...or you can worry. But, you can't fish AND worry."
[signature]