Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spinning reel versus casting reel
I use a spinning reel for all my fishing. always have. I am just curios about a casting reel. Are they that much better when casting and is it worth it to try one? I don't know any body that uses one so I'd have to buy one and see. I've been tempted to just buy one, but thought i'd get some opinions first.[crazy] Thanks,Brian
[signature]
[black][size 3]Largely depends on what you want to use the reels for, and the type of fishing that you intend to do with it.[/size][/black]

[black][size 3]From my limited personal experience, I feel that you have more versatility with a spinning reel. Light weight baits are easier to cast with a spinning reel.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]For jigging and trolling, I prefer a casting reel.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Two things that you may want to take into consideration: Good, high quality casting reels are very expensive compared to spinning reels. And, If you buy a casting reel, make sure that you get one that winds with the same hand as your spinning reels. (usually specified as a "left hand" reel)[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I prefer small light weight casting reels, easier to handle and control. Also, I prefer casting rods with longer handles for two handed casting. (I have never tried a casting outfit from a tube or toon, but those that have, report that they are easier to handle if they have a short handle).[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Others on this forum, who have had more experience with casting equipment can probably give you better comparative information.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I use both spin and casting. I find myself using the casting more for a few reasons. One it just feels better to me casting and retrieving and most importantly that hook set. Secondly I believe in the bigger bait catches the bigger fish, and a casting set up is more suitable for larger tackle. The rods are stiffer for getting the right action on certain baits, like the buzzbait for one. and they are a lot better for setting the hook while using large spinner baits.
As far as the reel to get, you really can't go wrong with the shimano curado but if you aren't looking to spend alot walmart has a reel call the pinacle with is the same as the plueger pres. it's less than 40.00. The only thing with that reel as with most other excluding the curado you will have to make 2 adjustments before casting. Another important issue with casting will be your line selection. If you are using mono you don't want to go any lighter than 12lb. or you will get frustrated with bird nesting, and you will want to get extra limp line as little memory as possible. I have braids on most of my casters. You have to be careful here too. The braids are a smaller diameter so you can overpower your reel.
They take some time getting use too but once you get it you will probably like it more than a spinning set up.
[signature]
They really are two different tools for two different jobs. A casting reel is better at handleing heavy baits and heavier lines. As a VERY general rule any time I am fishing and am in a situation where I'm using line heavier than 12 lbs or baits heavier than 3/8 oz I prefer a baitcaster. The drags are far superior and the bearing are heavier as well making them better for fighting larger fish. The stronger gears and bearing are also better suited to crank baits that have an agressive wobble.
If you do decide to give a bait caster a try buy the best one you can afford. I really think the money you spend makes a bigger difference with a baitcaster than it does with a spinning reel. The other piece of advice I would give you is to hook up a 1/2 oz egg sinker and cast it around the back yard for a while with the spool tention turned most of the way up until you get a good feel for it. If you try to learn on the water you'll end up tossing the thing in the lake out of frusteration because you will pick out multiple birds nests.
[signature]
Another thing I forgot to mention, You should pick one out with atleast a 6.2:1 gear ratio. The Curado has a 6.2:1 and also a 5.1. I made the mistake of not looking closely at what I was buying. Now I have a reel that is only good for trolling which I rarely do and slow rolling spinners. It's incapable of throwing buzzbaits cuz you can't reel fast enough to keep it on top. You can always reel slower to keep a faster reel down deep is my point.
[signature]
If you do end up getting the casting reel. I have been told a little trick from an old timer wich is amazing for getting out bird nest. I think it will only work with mono. take as much of the nest out as you can ,tighten down on the drag a bit then hold your line and crank down on the reel and bury the knot, after that hand mend your line out and see if you got it I was blown away. It has work for me several times. and don't cast into the wind until you get the hang of it.
[signature]
Thanks you guys for all the advice. It helps a ton.
[signature]
Finding the time to play with both.
[signature]
I guess you seen my auction ad if you bring up guitars
[signature]
no what auction ad is that?? You play??
[signature]
Yeah I had an ad in auction and I also have a mandolin for sale there. That's why I thoght you mentioned guitar. I've been playing for a while, mostly banjo these days. You play?
[signature]
The line "fishin' and guitars what else is there" is there all the time at the end of my posts. I just figured out how to make it lower so it doesn't look like part of my reply. I see now how that was confusing.

Yeah I've been playing for quite a few years. A little of everything but mainly country, rock and a little bluegrass. I actually really want to learn lead bluegrass guitar. I've attempted a few times and quit and go back to rythym guitar. Someday I'll get ambitiuos enough to learn it![unsure] I just love to sit around and play. I'll have to go look at your mandolin for sale. There's always room for one more toy!!!!!!!
[signature]
Good to hear form another picker. Check out the Mando. It has a very low starting price for a solid spruce top F-model. I also have a couple guitars I may list they are electric acoustic cut-away with abalone inlays and vine inlays up the entire neck. Sorry this wasn't fishing related.
[signature]
we can talk about anything we want.[cool]

is your mando in the for sale in utah for sale section?
I think I've got enough guitars to last a while but always fun to look

always wanting to play so if you ever want to jam let me know!
I live in Pleasant Grove.
[signature]
You can see the mando if you go to the auction page through the Features bullet. Just follow the link for the ultimate fly combo. I think there is a day and 1/2 left on the auction. As far as jamming I'd love too but I'm in PA. Didn't realize I was in the Utah forum. Nobody post in the Pa forum.
[signature]
[laugh] LOL Yeah thats a bit far to drive!!!! No wonder I couldnt find your mando on the utah for sale area. Well, music aside, I really appreciate your advice. And if your ever out in Utah well do some pickin!!!!! Thanks Brian
[signature]
Really depends on what you are fishing for and what lures you will be using. Personly I use Bait casting for lures and spinning reels for Trout and throwing light lures.
[signature]