Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 4-11-03
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]P Hopper and I went out on the Bear Friday and had a fairly good day. The weather was fantastic. We jigged around the Rock Pile / Gus' Point area and picked up half a dozen fish up to 8 lbs. Light color jigs tipped with cisco were the preferred bait . [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I also tried one of P Hopper's Gorge baits. A long snakie looking thing called a "Slugo". I tried a pearl and a dark silver with black back. We got some hits on it but didn't get any fish in. The best techique seemd to be to suspend it a foot or more above the bottom and dead stick it, letting the boat create and sutle action. Here's some pics of two of the fish we caught.[/size][/font] [center][Image: bl_4-11-03_1.jpg][/center] [center]P Hopper and his 6 lb mack[/center] [center][Image: bl-4-11-03_2.jpg][/center] [center]BearLakeMack's 8 lb Lake Trout[/center]
[signature]
Great fish BLM! I have a question about the coloring of the macks in Bear Lake. Are they lighter colored than macks from other lakes? They look that way to me, although I can't say that I know a lot about them. Perhaps because Bear lake is so clear?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Ya, the macks in Bear are a lot lighter in color compared to Fish Lake and Flaming Gorge macks. Why? Probably the enviromental conditions. The cutthroat are the same way. [/size][/font]
[signature]
Fun trip, couldn't ask for better weather, no wind at all. Isn't that the way it goes, when you are in a 12 footer the wind beats you up, but when you go in a boat that is build for it the weather turns out nice. Nice boat though, lots of room and made for fishing. It will really be nice when BLM gets it tricked out and personalized.

Didn't catch any monsters but BLM had to out do me, must be the way he twitches it [Wink] .

Thanks for a great trip BLM, but you have spoiled me, next week's trip in a 12 footer just won't be the same [cool] .
[signature]
Nice fish and great weather, not much more you could ask for except for bigger fish. Hey BLM, did you make it out yesterday, Willard or Bear lake? WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Too Much Wind! Boat's back in the shop getting kicker motor installed. I'll be ready for Willard now![/size][/font]
[signature]
I went to Willard last evening, 4ft waves and I was by my self. Boat control was a major problem. I got my lines in the motor twice but I wanted to check out that 4 horse Merc I bought last fall. No fish and no one on the water, I won't do that again. WH2
[signature]
Curt, you are braver than I am, and you know what kind of weather I go out in!
[signature]