Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea Bass
Depending on where you are in the US, winter time is prime time for Black Sea Bass fishing. Sea bass are a favored winter target, especially for those anglers that have a smaller boat since you don't have to hit the big water to reach them. Most inshore reefs hold sea bass, and they are top notch on the dinner table. Not to be Confused with the Pacific Sea bass, or giant sea bass, these guys average around a pound and a half, and anything over 5 pounds is a trophy. The world record is just over 9 pounds. But, don't let the size fool you. A 2 pound sea bass on 12 pound tackle will give you a run for your money. If you get into larger fish, stepping up to 20 pound tackle is probably a good idea.

[Image: LBF_black_seabass.jpg]

There are alot of different tactics for targeting these tastey little guys, the most common is a simple two hook drop rig baited with large chunks fo squid. Sea bass are suckers for fresh squid. Other anglers, like G. Pavaromo for instance, dig squid tipped jigs for big sea bass. Spro makes a killer swimming buck tail jig that work well for sea bass.

[Image: spro_primebuck_mkting1.jpg]

The above or white being my favorite colors to use. Add a squid strip to the tail and it's deadly on fish like sea bass. Bounce it slowly off the bottom during a drift and you should find success. Flounder sometimes grab the squid tagged jig as well, but not much to argue about there. [Wink]

Sea bass is good to eat no matter how it's prepared. Personally, I like to pan fry the fillets in butter, with a light seasoning of salt and pepper on each side. I usually leave the skin on if i'm going to pan fry the fillets. Sea bass have a naturally flakey white meat, and no fishy flavor.
[signature]