Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Weather
Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum and to the world of fishing (aside from sitting in a row boat and tossing a line into a small lake), but as a meteorologist I have a passion for the outdoors and always enjoy talking with people who enjoy outdoor sports and recreation.

I am curious about the weather that anglers like the best, or if there is certain kinds of weather that is better for certain kind of fish and fishing.

Feel free to check out my passion for weather at [url "http://www.skyeyeweather.com"]www.skyeyeweather.com[/url], and if I can answer any weather questions, email me.

Have a Happy New Year!

Rich Apuzzo [Smile]
Meteorologist
[url "mailto:Rich@skyeyeweather.com"]Rich@skyeyeweather.com[/url]
[signature]
Hey WxLuvr, welcome to bigfish! Hope you enjoy the site and all the information we have to offer. Feel free to talk fishing any time! There's always a good conversation waiting to be had.
[signature]
Welcome aboard WxLuvr. (weather lover). How cleaver.

The weather that I watch for most in the winter or rainy season is the rain. I love fishing in the rain.

The ideal condition though is to watch the Barometer. Not so much for the high or low point but the travel inbetween.

When the barometer is on the rise or on the fall, that is the time that the fishing really turns on. That goes for a majority of the species in fresh water.[cool]
[signature]
Excellent, thanks! I had heard about pressure being a factor, but this is the first time that someone mentioned barometric trends vs. actual barometer readings.

I had also heard about many anglers liking rain. Is that because the fish see all the droplets on the surface and think that there are insects there?

Thanks again!

Rich Apuzzo Smile
[signature]
it's the worms...
[signature]
I have had some of my better fishing in the rain. At that time, I'm not sure if it was because of the rise or fall at the time.

It was just that the rain turns alot of people off from fishing therefore decreasing the "Fishing Pressure". At the same time, the insects go into hiding while raining.

Any nice insect pattern that you throw out at the time will be worth competing for by the fish.

I still fish in the rain. I do not fish on excessively windy days but mild wind is not a problem.[cool]
[signature]
I think you'll find they turn on for a short shower 1/2 day or less. Prolonged rain and the bite gets tough. Fish know that when it starts to rain their food sources get knocked into the water. Worms,bugs ect.
[signature]
I have to agree with you on the rain thing Gregg. I've noticed that same trend a little further south of you. If it's a set in hard rain, the fish seem to quit feeding. But, if it's a short shower, i've noticed a distinct increase in hits right after the rain stops. I've also had some of my best days fishing in a constant "drizzle." Not a hard rain, but a very light rain, just enough to put dimples on the water. Not only do the fish seem to bite better during this drizzling rain, but it's not enough to soak you down and it's quite relaxing. (alteast if you have a bimini top) [Tongue]
[signature]
During shorter periods of rain is a great time to fish! One experience I had was while fishing from a dock with a bunch of other people. Nobody was catching anything until it started raining. I think part of it had to do with the amount of sunlight making it through the clouds. As the rain started, the area we were fishing in got darker. When it stopped, the area lightened up just a bit.
[signature]
[center]I think that it depends on what you fishing. over all I likeit to be brezzy so that the water is not a mirror. but I love to fish in the rain for big lakers. [/center]
[signature]
Greetings, [fishin]
To me the best fishing weather is partly cloudy with about a 5mph breeze and in the low 70s.
Other than that any time one can get out and cast a line.
Sincerely,
Pastor Brady
[signature]
I agree..and it appears that we'll have plenty of those kinds of days in the next 2 weeks as the active weather pattern across the central United States shifts north to the northern tier states and quieter weather returns to many areas that have been so stormy over the past month.

Rich Smile
[signature]
Hey there Rich

I was planning on being a meteorologist my life, but now reality has set in and I cannot do math well AT ALL (I am ) I am now hoping to have a full time fishing career
[signature]
Sometimes the math is the least of the challenges involved. There are so many young people getting into meteorology that jobs are few and with the broadcast world in slow collapse, TV weather jobs are declining...so you made the right choice. Smile
[signature]
whoops made a typo, I am 16.

I normally just do a ton of blogging over on accuweatherforums
[signature]
Oh well, in that case it's certainly not out of reach. Math isn't easy for just about anyone in meteorology, but I'll be honest, many drop out of weather programs as they get into Calculus...so that's up to you, but you have age on your side...
[signature]
fish feel barometric presure 10 times more then we do..and respond accordingly..rain washes lots of food into the watter..how come whenever i watch the wether they never seem to mention much about the barometric presure..knowing its movements would be helpfull..
[signature]
I always mention barometric pressure in my online weathercasts, and did it on TV for 22+ years...but aside from stating the current pressure, weather people won't talk much more about it since it doesn't mean much to the average viewers...excpet that if it's rising we generally expect fair weather and if it's falling, we can expect unsettled weather. Even then, those are not absolutes.

It's just too much for viewers to absorb in 2.5 minutes.
[signature]
I think it depends on the species your fishing for. When bass fishing I really don't care about weather because I can usually figure out a lure and presentation that will at least produce a few nice Bass for me.

When it comes to panfish or sunfish I prefer light drizzle or just before a large thunderstorm.

Same for catfish. During rain or a thunderstorm I have caught my largest catfish. But I've found catfish can turn on and be great for 30 minutes and then just stop like they are on a timer or something so catfish are really unpredictable (to me anyways) no matter what the weather conditons.
[signature]
the rise and fall tells us were to fish and what to use..i have espn fishing forcast as a feture on my cell phone..gives me up to date weatherin any location and the barometer readings and rises and falls..i use it often..
[signature]