Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You all lucked out
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]If the winds were blowing Saturday like it is today, tubing would have been a b*t*h. Over turning big rigs on the 15 like they are tinker toys. MacFly's power stoke would have been for naught. LOL.[Wink] TubeN2 would have needed a 250 Mercury to get back to shore 4 sure. Have a good New Year all.[/size][/green][/font]
[right][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=32292;][/right]
[signature]
... youd have to clarify the speed of the wind from bendo or tn2 but it was strong enough to give me a lot of trouble getting back in and at times controlling myself on the water.. but I would not trade that day for anything... [Smile]

.. Id have no idea what to do in a wind that is strong enough to give a semi problems..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
If possess a true fighting soul you just kick harder longer. Wind is cyclical, sometimes you make headway sometimes you just hold position. You may even slip a little. Worst case is getting blown to shore and cactus touring while you walk back on the mountain lion trail. As you tube more you will also find increased stamina, this is fantastic exercise! If you tube more than once a week ,even for a little while, the wind or weather in general will no longer be a factor in your decision. Saltwater tubing is just more athletic and the requires a little more prep to adjust your trip in conjunction with the tides and predicted wind direction. Two vehicles can be a boon for one way trips, where you just drift along like a planktor, fishing away with absolutly no cares in the world. Just don't miss your get out spot.
[signature]
Just figure the wind this way. If the wind could down a Semi, it could sure put a tube high up on a pine tree along with the Tuber.

I have learned to battle 10 to 15 mph and still have a good time. I have also been in 25mph with 40mph gusts and had to dodge a few Hudlestons in the process.

I can launch on an incoming tide and get to a comfortable drift spot before coming back in while the tide is still in favor.

Tubing can be safe when experience and common sense prevails. Tubing can also be a nightmare when you disreguard safety.[cool]
[signature]
... as you and bro polo say... it takes experience and time to become proficient when dealing with the wind.. the one big lesson I have learned is caution as you displayed in being so cautious in getting me in a tube for the first time..

my main point on my last comment was that the wind that did kick up gave me some problems.. but nothing that with a little thought worked my way around.. the trip into shore was harder than the first time out simply because of the wind.. as bro polo stated at times it felt like I was doing okay and the next it felt like I was at a standstill.. either way, I just kept kicking and worked my way thru it...

.. there is no way that I would even think of launching under wind conditions as described by bro dr.. if it is that strong to give a semi problems there is no way I could handle that on the shore much less on the water.. [Smile]

.. lastly, as bro polo states it is great exercise.. I was sore the next day from using muscles I dont normally use.. but..

as I stated before.. I would not trade the experinece of that day for anything.. the only thing that would of made the day better is if I had been able to land a fish. but that too comes with experience.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
As soon as you put in enough time...BAM... the fish will come...I promise.
[signature]
At least you have an understanding about the 2 main rules of Tubing.

1. Sharp objects and floatation devices don't mix. (Don't try to fillet your fish while tubing)

2. The wind will always have its way with a blow up toy. (nuff said)[cool]
[signature]
... I know it will take time but I am more than willing to work on it as much as I can.. thank you for the lessons on Saturday.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
..I never thought of filleting a fish on the tube.. course you have to catch a fish first to even think about that... [sly]

.. as I get more experience in a tube I know I will learn how to deal with conditions better.. until then I am having a blast learning.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Just take the opportunity to do some power kicking even in the perfect conditions. It will help you in the long run.[cool]
[signature]
.... power kicking.. did you teach me that one already??? [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
You got a good start at it in the wind. Just use that same type of power stroke to move yourself even on the calm days. That will help build your legs up and get them in shape.[cool]
[signature]
...so is that why my legs were so sore that night and the next day?? [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Exactly! Over time, you will get your legs conditioned for the newly used muscle group. Therefore, less pain and then no pain after a good trip.[cool]
[signature]
in time my brother.. in time.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]