Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly rod and reel
I'm brand new to fly fishing and I need some advice on what kind of rod and reel I should use and any other advice you care to offer. My wife set me up with some lessons as a present so I should get the basics and all of that stuff. I'd like to hear your opinions, I know that if I go to the fly shop were the lesson are going to be taught they'll help me with what they've got. So any advice would be great.
Thanks in advance
[signature]
[black][size 3]If you're just starting, and exploring the sport, I would suggest that you look at the Cabela's Genesis reel/rod combo.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have given this advise to others, and they have been very pleased with the choice. It's on sale at the present time for $129.00 (usually about $150.00)[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I would also suggest a 9 foot, 5 wieght as a starter rod. It's the most popular, and can be used for most purposes.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have included a picture of the Cabela's add, which comes with several other items. Overall, a very good choice for a starter set.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]You could go into the Cabela's web site for a full run down on the entire equipment list.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
How much are you looking to spend? The answer will help us to provide you with options within your budget.

Schlitz-
[signature]
I'm not sure. I guess to start out 175.00 or below I can always upgrade.
[signature]
Here is a good link on what to consider when shopping for a combo rig.

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/fly-fishing...combos.php

I recommend going with the best rod and reel you can get for what your lookning to spend. I have several friends with entry level equipment that are great fishermen but didn't realize how much more enjoyable the sport could be with better equipment. Now they like to use my stuffSmilewhen they can.

You don't have to spend a fortune but don't just rush out an grab the first combo you see.

Take a look at the Temple Fork combo listed under-

Combos $200 - $300

Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Professional Series/Cabela's Prestige Plus Fly Combo

I think this is your best bang for the buck. If you don't want that or want something else I have a Orvis Trident TL 8'6 4 piece 5wt with a Battenkill 5/6 with wonderline(extra spool with full sinking line) that I would be willing to part with for $200.

Good luck
Schlitz-
[signature]
I would look at trying to get a Redington RS3 rod. Cabelas still has some models on sale for $99-129. Where do you think you are going to fish? Utah has a handful of medium size waters where a 9ft 5wt rod is a OK choice. We have hundreds of smaller streams where that would be a very poor choice. If you think you might fish these smaller streams as well a 8ft 3 or 4 wt rod would be a all around good choice.
[signature]
I have a buddy that I helped get setup a couple of months ago and he went with the cabelas Genesis outfit/combo and he is happy with it. I've used it and it seems pretty good for a starter set. It also come with a good amount of accessories that you will probably need to get anyway. If you buy the equipment seperately I'd advise to remember that the reel is the least important major piece of equipment. It only holds the line. Put your money towards a nicer rod and line first, then get the reel.
[signature]
You say you are set up with lessons, I am going to suggest, taking the lessons first. Hopefully they will have different rods for you to learn on. That way you can find out what ACTION you need. Then I would go shopping. The Genisis is a great set up, but if you think you are really going to get into it, then go for the name brand. Check e-bay also.
Just remember, the line is a very important factor. Reel can be okay, but basically a place to hold your line. Rod, the right action and you will learn quickly. Line will then make all the difference.
[signature]