Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carpal Tunnel Anyone?
Yeah, that's right. I have it, and it surely has put a kink in my winter fishing plans. Hurts clear up to the elbows. Typing is the culprit. I'm using voice recognition software for this post.

Anyone have any experience with CT? Advice? Cures? I went to the doctor about two weeks ago and he has me in braces taking Alieve. Not wild about the thought of surgery but the worse it gets, the more that option seems like a good one.

z~
[signature]
...I have known several people including my sister in law has had the same problem for the same reason... in all the cases the braces and the aleve plus time cured the problem.. I would say that you are doing the right things, especially the voice recognition software to overcome this problem. Good luck.

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
No CT here but I can give you some sound Medical Advice.

Ice will be your best friend for quite awhile. No more than 20 minutes at a time. Bags of frozen vegetables tend to make the best ice pack timers. They get rather soft at the 20 minute mark and can go right back into the freezer.

The latest in CT studies have shown that the occasional computer/keyboard user is more likely to get CT than the avid, daily keyboard pounder.

I wish I could give you some kind of comfort Uncle Z but this is all I can offer for now.

The Allieve is a good anti inflamitory. It is the new OTC name for Naprosen or Naproxyn Sodium. That stuff has been arround for years and acts only on the swelling and pain associated with the underlying tissues.

Hang in there and make friends with the snow men on the block.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]I haven't tried the icing yet. Maybe I could just go out in the tube and hang my hands in the water. Since the "therapy" should be practiced several times a day, seven days a week, it might turn out to be a real boon.

z~
[signature]
...but then youd end up with wrinkled up fingertips all the time.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]See...the carp are getting even. CARP-al tunnel syndrome. Get it? Sorry Z. Don't mean to make light of a painful situation. I have managed to avoid it but I have known others who have suffered from it. I understand the surgery is worse than the ailment and sometimes does not help at all.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That has to be an especially nasty ailment for fishermen. No "work arounds" for fishing. No cast recognition software or any other technology to at least get you through.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Listen to your doctor and be a good boy. With any kind of luck, and the body's natural healing properties...and perhaps with some divine intervention...you might hopefully be waving your fairy wand by the time it warms up in the spring.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Best wishes my friend.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I had it about 10 years ago.Tried braces they didn't help much in my line of work, didn't sleep much, when i worked it eased up alittle in the pain but at nighttime trying to sleep sucked so I tuffed it out for the summer and the day we finished up work I went in and had both wrists sliced and it ached and was sore for a while. It was worth it. it was an easy procedure and healing shouldn't take you out of the fishing picture to long
[signature]
I knew there must be some association with the carp. Must've been since I caught so many of them. You are probably right about it being spring before I can fish. One doesn't realize how many times he uses his hands until he can't use them.

The voice recognition software works pretty well. The more you train it the better it gets. At least I can still come here and talk about fishing.

z~
[signature]
Hope you get on top of that. Seems like you're doing all the right things. Years ago I was learning to play musical keyboard and I had the notion to teach myself to type properly. I decided the repetitive movements on both kinds of keyboards would not be good for me so I continued to type the way I do.

I guess at this point you can't even tie flies. Hopefully the winter's rest will put you back in business again

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
I had it... had it for years.Nearly 30 years with computers will do that. I did the braces, the NSAID's, cortisone, special keyboards, chairs, desks. I did my darnedest to avoid surgery. It finally went from aching to numbness and got so bad I couldn't feel the steering wheel after a few minutes of driving.

I finally went to a surgeon. He had me do some wrist postures and pronounced that I had CTS and asked how long. When I told him, he said that he hoped I hadn't waited too long. Prolonged CTS can do permanent damage to the nerve. He sent me in for nerve conduction tests to make the insurance company happy and scheduled me for the knife. Its been better than 5 years now and I have absolutely no further symptoms.

So find yourself a top notch ortho guy and do what he says... and most importantly, don't put off surgery if it comes to that.

Larry
[signature]
Had a operation on both wrist 10 years ago and what a relief, no more pain at all.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Prior to my retirement, I worked in an industry where many of our employees, doing very repetitive work with their hands, developed the condition, and when correctly diagnosed, was only relieved by surgery.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It nothing to look forward to, but it appears to be the only real method of relieving the pain and discomfort.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Just make sure that your condition is diagnosed by a competent physician and that the surgery is done by a doctor with considerable experience.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Thanks for the info and encouragement. I'll take it a day at a time until I see if it will right itself by staying off the repetative use of my hands.

z~
[signature]
I feel your pain there Z. I don't have the CT, but Artheritis is setting in.....right in my THUMBS! Fingers get sore, but my thumbs BURN, CRAMP UP and just down right hurt. Now, try playing BASS when that flares up!
See what the X-Rays say, but I think I am basically screwed.
Found out I also have Ostiopetena (sp) which is not Osteoperosis, but can lead to it. So, for me it is IB profen and a lot of Cheese, Milk, Yogurt, and all dairy.

I will duct tape the rod to my hand if I have to!
[signature]
... does that mean you wont be tying those 28's anymore?? [Smile]

..my worst ache most time is a knee that I injured years and years ago deciding it wants to be achy when the weather is changing.. like today.. we are expecting rain and my knee is agreeing with the weather checkers on tv... [Tongue]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]28's 30's and 32's. Not much thumb movement on them so it is all good.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
... whew.. thought I had lost my tiny fly source.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I may try that duct taping the rod to my hands if this continues, FG. I have seen a little relief from the braces, but every time I get active with my hands again, it lets me know it's still there.

I was sorely tempted to go fishing today, but I knew I'd have to pay for it if I did. The steelheading is picking up all around and I'm stuck at home. I should have had a couple in the freezer by now.

I don't know about tying those 32's but I can say that tying flies right now is not much fun. Hope you can keep that arthritis under control.

z~
[signature]
Thank you much, and you get better, I miss the pictures of the toads!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I feel your pain...literally. I do not have full blown arthritis yet, but several of my fingers are losing flexibility and sometimes growl at me if I force the issue. So far it has not seriously affected my lure making and rod building.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I once heard that if you get stiff in the joints, you should stay out of the joints.[/#0000ff]
[signature]