Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cat baits...
alright i havent been fishing in months, and its been really cold lately, so i was thinkin i may go try to catch a big blue cat...recommend any baits that work especially well in the cold or in the tennessee river area?
[signature]
Cold water blues love fresh cut bait. Shad if you've got them in your area. I know they are killing the blues on fresh cut and live shad in the Santee Cooper lakes over here in SC. If you don't have shad, any fresh cut bait should do. Frozen cut bait would work, but no where near as effective. [Smile]
[signature]
so they like bait that is dead that you cut up or live? will they eat small live minnows?
[signature]
Live bait really needs to be decent sized. (about the size of your hand or bigger) The preference on fresh cut bait varies from angler to angler. I like big chunks myself. I'll cut a live, hand sized fish into 3rds. So, pretty good sized pieces.

As for your small minnows, better save those for crappie. [Wink]
[signature]
So can u use shad that has been dead. or u have to get shad alive then cut it up?
[signature]
The guys I know keep the shad alive until they use it. But, frozen shad and other fresh/frozen baits work. But, the fresher the bait, the better it works. [Tongue]
[signature]