Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alpo & Nylons
I grew up carp fishing with grandpa on a local river. We used to fish underneath a big grain elevator that loaded up boats full of corn and grains. It was an ausome spot to catch big carp and cats.

Anyway, one day grandpa told me we were going fishing and to load up the gear and to also grab a can of dog food (alpo) and a can opener from the house.

I was like.. "huh? Is the dog going fishing with us?"

"No just go grab it and I'll be right out."

While I was loading up the station wagon, he was in the house getting into grandma's dresser and stealin a pair of her nylons.

Once to the river, he started cutting up the nylons and he made little pouches and scooped out a spoon of alpo into them. Tied them off making little bait bags of dog food. In my head I was thinking... OK, grandpa has lost it. There's no way were we going to catch anything today.

Boy was I wrong !!! We caught some monsters that day. The bait bags worked great on the carp and we even took a nice big channel cat that day as well.

The carp went into the garden (grandpa said they were his secret weapon for growing huge pumpkins) and he nailed the cat to the tree, skinned it, and fried it up for dinner that night. It was a day I'll never forget.

A few weeks later, I found out grandma gave him hell for cutting up her nylons [laugh]. Poor old guy, we went back to using corn and crawlers after that.
[signature]
LOL< thanks for sharing that rabbit. That was a cool story. I guess grandma wasn't interested in how good the bait worked. [Tongue] Alpo is a killer bait for channel cats, but i've never heard it used for carp.

I know some guys around here will drop a tractor tire in the shallows, get a few cans of alpo, stab large holes in it and drop them inside the tractor tire. Sounds goofy right? But it works. The channel cats swim into the large tires to feast on the dog food and can't swim out. If you've ever noticed, kitty fish can't swim strait up from the bottom, so they get trapped in the tire. The tricky part is removing the fish from the tire, which requires a certain level of skill, and courage. LOL
[signature]